• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grackles are Murderers? (1 Viewer)

Jmkmini

Hi, my name is Judy and I’m new to forums. My husband got me interested in taking our bird feeding to the next level and now we have 3 different feeders and 3 suet cages, 2 water dishes one with a cheap water fountain, plus we give them a ton of bread and seeds on the ground. Oh, also I’ve been feeding blueberries to mocking birds and cardinals right out my window! I’ve been trying to get “Mocky” to sit on my hand. We spend a LOT on bird food, you would think they would be happy...right? I spend the day being hall monitor! I know it’s normal for birds to fight and steal from each other but in one month I’ve witnessed 2 (at least) murders! One was an injured pigeon that was killed by another pigeon, it was brutal how he did it too! Then another attack but I can’t say what the birds were, it took off with its prey.

I’m here today because a grackle grabbed a little sparrow! I heard it screeching as he stabbed it, I tried to stop it but he took of with it! I’m sick over this violence! I use to enjoy watching the grackles soak their bread in the water before eating it but now I just want to kick out all big birds! I have about 15 species coming here. What should I do?

Hi Judy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm afraid you're observing nature in the raw, hard as it is to watch, it happens. Your grackles will have young in their nests to feed, and if they can grab a sparrow to provide protein for them they'll take the opportunity.

It's very likely the sparrow wasn't the fittest anyway otherwise it wouldn't have allowed itself to be caught.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us and I'll look forward to hearing what you see in your yard.

Hi Judy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm afraid you're observing nature in the raw, hard as it is to watch, it happens. Your grackles will have young in their nests to feed, and if they can grab a sparrow to provide protein for them they'll take the opportunity.

It's very likely the sparrow wasn't the fittest anyway otherwise it wouldn't have allowed itself to be caught.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us and I'll look forward to hearing what you see in your yard.
Thank you Delia for the welcome and the possible reason. I guess I understand. I just want them to play nice but that’s not happening! ��

Last edited:
Like Delia said, nature is raw sometimes but it is nature nonetheless.

Hi Judy and welcome aboard. Hope to see lots of you ;)

Thank you for the kind welcomes! I hope I don’t make any mistakes. The birds keep me busy. I’m starting to think I’m over feeding them and the starlings and Grackles have decided this is only THEIR food supply! As long as they don’t eat each other!

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Murder only applies to humans!
Everything else kills to live. Its just a way of living for them. By putting up feeders you are supplying all the creatures somewhere to eat including carnivores and omnivores.
Just be interested in the circle of life. Its an education!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back