• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confusing junco! (1 Viewer)

prairiemerlin

registered guy
Yesterday I noticed a junco under my feeders. I think it is an Oregon Junco, as it had a dark hood and a brown back. However, some people think its some weird sub-subspecies. Could anyone give their opinions on this bird?

junco.jpg

junco2.jpg

junco3.jpg

junco4.jpg

junco5.jpg

Thanks!

Okay, now I don't feel so weird about the one I saw on Sunday. I have to dig out my shots and post them too. The one I photographed had the start of a brown back and white striping on its wings. I thought maybe it was perhaps a first year bird.

Attachments

• Dscn0033.jpg
    Dscn0033.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
The Oregons I get here all have varying degrees of brown on their backs and even on their heads. I think this may be an age thing, not necesarily a sub-species or variant thing, although it can point to intergrades, too. I've seen female Oregons with more of this brownish wash to their backs, heads and flanks than the males -- but not always. :-(

However, I'm also finding that "the book" keeps being rewritten about this species. What are there now, something like 14 variants of "Dark-eyed junco"? And even after a most interesting article about the "pink-sided" variant in, I think, "Birding" (I'll look up the exact ref if anyone wants it), I'm even more unsure what exactly constitutes a "pink-sided" bird since the amount of pinkish/buffy on the flanks is highly variable even on the Oregons, among other field marks.

Look forward to seeing your photo, too, KC. This winter I'm undertaking a project to photograph each junco in the yard to try to nail down what each variant is that we're getting here. I mean, 4 of the 5 "main" junco variants are fairly easy (red-backed, gray-headed, slate-colored and Oregon), but that pink-sided I'm less sure of.

EDIT: And there your photo is! Love cyber-cross-posting. ;)

Last edited:
Speaking from memory, the Oregon Juncos I saw in Washington were brighter birds than yours, but that may be down to the photograph - or my memory may be faulty. Otherwise I can't see anything inconsistent with that race. But, as always, I'm happy to be corrected by those that live with these birds daily.

k-bird said:
Looks like an Oregon Neil but does lack the rusty sides......Not sure.........
Yeah, I thought that, but if the sides aren't brown they ought to be grey - which they're not either. In fact one photo does show brown sides and I concluded that it's just that the photos aren't showing the feature too well.

Here's another shot of it. It seemed to have grayish flanks, with hints of brownish.

junco6.jpg

Jason - I took all the pics through a messy window, the window might degrade the colors.

Last edited:
Okay, found it. It's "Birding," October 2002 issue, "The Identification of Pink-sided Juncos (with cautionary notes about plumage variation and hybridization)" by Jon L. Dunn.

It's the sub-title in parentheses that sets the tone for ensuing and ultimate confusion on what's what when you see it in the field. And a table that breaks down the various sub-species within each "type" of d-e junco: Under Slate-colored, there are 3 s-sp.; Oregon, 8; Gray-headed, 2. It doesn't list Red-backed at all although Red-backed is accorded sub-species status in Sibley's, and is a sub-sp that breeds here on our property each summer (it looks like gray-headed but has a black upper mandible and slightly lighter gray throat, breast and belly than does gray-headed but has the same bright cinnamon triangle on the back as gray-headed).

Two other dark-eyed sub-species are White-winged and Guadalupe juncos, but they don't occur east of the Rockies so I ignored them for the sake of this discussion. ;)

Anyway, I hope you can read this article because it covers far more than just Pink-sided and gives an insight into how challenging these seemingly simple birds can be to ID off their breeding grounds.

Last edited:
The odd junco didn't show up today. However, I noticed a junco that had white wing bars! It was pale gray all over with a little bit of brown showing through. Here's a bad pic of it:

junco7.jpg

I've come to the conclusion that it is just a strange Slate-colored. I'd like your opinions, though!

Cool! A great find! I keep looking for one in the batches around here! Sibley says "1 in 200" Slate-colored individuals "have white wing-bars as prominent as White-winged."

Looks like what you have there, Igglebix, is a leucistic dark-eyed junco. Any chance that you could post a larger version (800 x 800 pixels) here so we could see more detail? It looks like an interesting bird and I'd love to see what sub-species it is.

I've had a few leucistic juncos in the yard in the past four years with varying degrees of white feathers/patches all over.

Brown Creeper said:
Yesterday I noticed a junco under my feeders. I think it is an Oregon Junco, as it had a dark hood and a brown back. However, some people think its some weird sub-subspecies. Could anyone give their opinions on this bird?

junco.jpg

junco2.jpg

junco3.jpg

junco4.jpg

junco5.jpg

Thanks!
When I moved to Oklahoma, I realized why they are called Dark-eyed Juncos. I don't think they come pure-anything here, although we can distinguish individual males that are all or largely of some form genetically. [It might be largely or mostly Slate-colored (although even these seem to have variations in the darkness of the hood), mearnsii (i.e., Pink-sided; some look pretty good, others muddle), and the montanus form of the Oregon [again with variations]. I am tempted to call many cismontanus [not because it is or isn't a legitimate subspecies, but because many don't seem to fit SCJU or ORJU exactly].
This bird looks like a bird from where the "cismontanus" meets the montanus groups. It looks sort of "montanus-i", but not quite--largely gray at botom of hood at sides. I would say it is certainly on the Oregon side of the spectrum, but certainly not from the center of any distinguishable gene pool.
CHEERS, JOE G

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back