• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Australia October/November 2010 (1 Viewer)

Hanno

Ho Ho Ho
Took a little while, but then it was a long trip:

astern Australia October, November 2010

'Roos, Yaks, and meat pies (and the odd bird)

Introduction:

Oz has to be pretty high on the list of anyone that has even just a vague interest in birds and nature. I always thought Australia must be as close to birder's heaven as it gets: lots of endemic birds, great wildlife, cold beers, and people that speak English (sort of).

It took a few years to safe up the necessary cash, but with Ha working 3 jobs at the same time we finally scraped together the funds to contact BirdQuest and join one of their tours. We had initially planned to do the West Coast in 2009, but due to work we had to postpone the trip a year and do the East Coast instead. I wasn't really happy about that initially as the original trip would have included Christmas Island, but we did not want to wait another year either.

Costs:

BirdQuest trips are not exactly cheap, on the other hand they do offer outstanding (in my opinion) itineraries and Ha and I figured we might as well go the whole 9 yards. Thus, we coughed up a fair bit of dosh for a trip that would last 5 weeks in total.

Continued here: http://www.hannostamm.com/eastern_australia_october.htm

Hmmm. Apart from the wildlife it seems you didn't like Aus very much. Sorry to hear that. In the case for the defense I would argue that Aus is much more affordable if done independently, and I'd strongly advise this with the current strong dollar.

As for Cairns, if you had contacted me I would have happily shown you all of those birds and not charged you a cent. ;)I also would have found you some species you appear to have missed. Be that as it may...

As for the food, I would certainly agree that it can be hit and miss, but again I would have given you advice as to where to go for excellent Italian, Mexican, Seafood, International Cuisine etc, though probably not the sort of quality Asian food you're used to.

One final point: Red-collared Lorikeet occurs in the Top End, not Cairns.

Chowchilla, you are wrong: I liked Australia a lot, that is why we are going back next year. Don't know where you are getting the idea that I did not like it?

Only food and accommodation (OK, and weather) were a bit of a let-down at times. I live in SE Asia; for the money some lousy motel costs in Oz I get the red carpet over here.

Where did I put the Red-collared Parrot? I cannot look at my trip report anymore; I was at it for weeks....

I can only give you my impression from what I read Hanno; I don't expect you to like everything about the place; there are things I don't like about Aus either...

Chowchilla, you are wrong: I liked Australia a lot, that is why we are going back next year. Don't know where you are getting the idea that I did not like it?

Only food and accommodation (OK, and weather) were a bit of a let-down at times. I live in SE Asia; for the money some lousy motel costs in Oz I get the red carpet over here.

Hanno,

I am looking forward to reading the rest of your report some other time, but as a(-nother) great enthusiast for Australia and the Aussies I must admit that I had a similar impression to Chowchilla, even before reading his initial post. Looking at what you wrote in your introduction to the trip on your website, I guess what we thought of as rather negative comments were really just "warts and all" honesty! Thanks for taking the trouble to sit down and write such an informative report.

I have not had the bad experience with food, except once with a gristly kebab at a petrol station out in the country in NSW, and we only went there because the other place in the village was closed. I'm impressed that you had a meal at "Doyles," almost a feeling of jealousy! I have never thought of Australian hotel or guesthouse breakfasts as particularly poor, easily pleased, perhaps, but I agree that what Sue serves at Cassowary House is outstanding.

Yes, I've, erm, enjoyed more than one Fat Yak.

Thanks again,

Allen

Gentlemen, I think you need to keep in mind what the trip cost. Had this been a low-cost back-packin affair, then there would have been less mention of poor hotels and food. At an average of USD 1,000 a day, I expected better on these accounts.

However, there is no doubt that both Australia and Australians wer great, and the birding and wildlife outstanding.

Gentlemen, I think you need to keep in mind what the trip cost. Had this been a low-cost back-packin affair, then there would have been less mention of poor hotels and food. At an average of USD 1,000 a day, I expected better on these accounts.
However, there is no doubt that both Australia and Australians wer great, and the birding and wildlife outstanding.

I guess that the cost quoted above was for the two of you. Yes, it was more than I paid on my solo holiday!

I have read a bit more of your account on your website. I was in 6 places just before you last October!
Sydney 15th - 18th
Port Macquarie 18th - 22nd
Cassowary House 22nd - 25th
Cairns (Colonial Club Resort, no less!) 25th - 27th
Brisbane over night 27th
O'Reilly's 28th - 30th,
then back to Brisbane for 30th - 3rd November.

Brings back good memories!

Allen

Last edited:
that was a great read!

Speaking for myself, I don't think you came across as disliking Australia at all. Not that I'd spend that sort of per-day cash on a trip to Aus but if I was then I reckon I'd be rather put out too at having to stay at dives and eat roadside pies for lunch.

BirdQuest trips are not exactly cheap, on the other hand they do offer outstanding (in my opinion) itineraries and Ha and I figured we might as well go the whole 9 yards. Thus, we coughed up a fair bit of dosh for a trip that would last 5 weeks in total.

Continued here: http://www.hannostamm.com/eastern_australia_october.htm

Yes, reading beyond the introduction I see that it was BirdQuest's accommodation and eating arrangements that were generally not very good, you didn't get value for money there, although you returned home with great memories of a huge range of bird and mammal species.

Did you contact BirdQuest afterwards about the deficiencies? If so, what did they say? Would you travel with them again?

Allen

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back