• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shocking photos: bird corpses crowded on smuggler's cars (1 Viewer)

Why are they killing the birds? Surely they dont eat them? Hiding them in tyres even, it's dreadfull. I wish them no good thing, their bleedin guns aught to explode.

Hi FoxSparow,
Live in East Europe, but a bit further north - I believe (hope) this is not occurring this far north. If you know otherwise, I would request you let me know and, moreover, if there's anything you think I could do, I'd be more than happy to get involved.

Keep up the good work in publicising this slaughter, we can only wish that one day the message might start to take effect and authorites in all countries take it ever more seriously.

Jos Stratford said:
Hi FoxSparow,
Live in East Europe, but a bit further north - I believe (hope) this is not occurring this far north. If you know otherwise, I would request you let me know and, moreover, if there's anything you think I could do, I'd be more than happy to get involved.

Keep up the good work in publicising this slaughter, we can only wish that one day the message might start to take effect and authorites in all countries take it ever more seriously.

Hi Jos and thanks for your kind comment. There is a Lithuanian hunting agency
http://www.salvete.lt/vid.php3?menu_id=92&lang=it
and a Swedish one
http://www.club-scandinavia.com/clit.html
with photos
http://www.club-scandinavia.com/litmes.html
http://www.club-scandinavia.com/litgro.html
that I have freshly added to the blog
http://baltih.blog.tiscali.it/
that "import" Italian hunters to the Baltic countries, offering them Ducks, Geese, Woodcocks, Snipes, Partridges, Coots and Wood Pigeons as game birds besided Deers and Wildboars.
The Italian hunters may be "active" in Lithuania in this period; thanks for send any information about them.
Cheers
Menotti Passarella
www.birdingitaly.net

OMG!!! Is this like bush meat....I dont understand!! I`m a vegatarian myself (would never push my oppinion on anyone else) but theres nothing on them!
Sickening.....

Malcolm Fisher said:
Why are they killing the birds? Surely they dont eat them? Hiding them in tyres even, it's dreadfull. I wish them no good thing, their bleedin guns aught to explode.

Hi Malcolm. Unfortunately they eat songbirds. This hideous tradition is kept in life by politicians, vips and rich persons that pay a lot of money to eat this illegal food in restaurants close to Venice, NE Italy; please check these site out:
http://www.cucinait.com/cucinait/WorldEdition/Glossary/Glossary_6727.htm
with a photo of the coocked songbirds in a dish with yellow "polenta" (polenta is cornmeal mush considered by the inhabitants of the region to be a proper bread. Before the arrival of corn, buckwheat was used instead, in combination with millet and fava beans. Around the middle of the 16th century, the Venitians began to import and employ corn. A famous dish which unites the Venetians' love of polenta with their love of meat is exactly "polenta e osei", that is cornemeal mush accompanied by small birds roasted over a low flame and flavored with lard, sage and olive oil):
http://digilander.libero.it/comunedibevilacqua/images/cucina/polenta_e_osei.jpg
Regards
Menotti Passarella
www.birdingitaly.com

foxsparrow said:
Hi Jos and thanks for your kind comment. There is a Lithuanian hunting agency
http://www.salvete.lt/vid.php3?menu_id=92&lang=it
The Italian hunters may be "active" in Lithuania in this period; thanks for send any information about them.
]

Thanks for this, I looked at the website of the agency in Lithuania and the only positive point is that under the link to hunting, there is no information given (in English at least).
as this is a general travel agency, I will send them an e-mail, attaching some of the photos from your blog and try to point out the effect this could have on their image with the general travelling public. Might not do any good, but worth a try.

Jos Stratford said:
Thanks for this, I looked at the website of the agency in Lithuania and the only positive point is that under the link to hunting, there is no information given (in English at least).
as this is a general travel agency, I will send them an e-mail, attaching some of the photos from your blog and try to point out the effect this could have on their image with the general travelling public. Might not do any good, but worth a try.

Hi Jos, good idea ! I think they have realized only the hunting page in Italian because they have Italian hunters as target. They know that Italian hunters are so crazy to spend a lot of money to satisfy they "need" to kill birds.
Bye
Menotti Passarella
www.birdingitaly.net

I saw a series of programmes with Jeremy Clarkson visiting differant countries. In one of these programmes it highlights the eating of songbirds by certain french peoples. First they capture the birds alive in nets....they then seal each bird into a box without light so that the particular species thinks it is night, this species feeds at night. Also in the box is seed (I think millet) which has been soaked in an alcoholic drink...could be madeira or cognac (cant remember) but the birds eat and eat and eat and then they are killed and cooked with the 'millet' acting as a stuffing. Its done in secret because its illegal and each person round the table had a large white hankerchief over their heads. The whole bird is put into the mouth and eaten all at once.
What utter greed....vile and disgusting.

foxsparrow said:
Hi Malcolm. Unfortunately they eat songbirds. This hideous tradition is kept in life by politicians, vips and rich persons that pay a lot of money to eat this illegal food in restaurants close to Venice, NE Italy; please check these site out:
http://www.cucinait.com/cucinait/WorldEdition/Glossary/Glossary_6727.htm
with a photo of the coocked songbirds in a dish with yellow "polenta" (polenta is cornmeal mush considered by the inhabitants of the region to be a proper bread. Before the arrival of corn, buckwheat was used instead, in combination with millet and fava beans. Around the middle of the 16th century, the Venitians began to import and employ corn. A famous dish which unites the Venetians' love of polenta with their love of meat is exactly "polenta e osei", that is cornemeal mush accompanied by small birds roasted over a low flame and flavored with lard, sage and olive oil):
http://digilander.libero.it/comunedibevilacqua/images/cucina/polenta_e_osei.jpg
Regards
Menotti Passarella
www.birdingitaly.com

Hello Mennoti,

Thank you for taking the time to explain that, and providing the links. I am flabberghasted really, there is so little meat on small songbirds, but seeing as it is a "tradition" favoured by the elite, I am sadly not surprised. I do not understand their mentality I'm afraid, they are clearly mad, when there is so much more convenient farmed products to eat. I wish you good luck in your activities!

Cheers, Malc.

oceans said:
I saw a series of programmes with Jeremy Clarkson visiting differant countries. In one of these programmes it highlights the eating of songbirds by certain french peoples. First they capture the birds alive in nets....they then seal each bird into a box without light so that the particular species thinks it is night, this species feeds at night. Also in the box is seed (I think millet) which has been soaked in an alcoholic drink...could be madeira or cognac (cant remember) but the birds eat and eat and eat and then they are killed and cooked with the 'millet' acting as a stuffing. Its done in secret because its illegal and each person round the table had a large white hankerchief over their heads. The whole bird is put into the mouth and eaten all at once.
What utter greed....vile and disgusting.

That sounds as insane as it is disgusting, words fail me!

Crack heads, crystal meth junkies, heroin addicts, bird traffickers and consumers. Anyone care to delve into the topic of the Asian market for exotic species consumption?

Hmmmm???

Kevin Mac said:
Crack heads, crystal meth junkies, heroin addicts, bird traffickers and consumers. Anyone care to delve into the topic of the Asian market for exotic species consumption?
Where to start?
Its rife...bush meat is illegal here but there are people who want to but it! The guys at customs often find maggot ridden meat. stinking fish...they often find it by its maggot trails or ripe juices and stench!! And people wanna buy that and EAT IT!!!!!!! Then theres the parasite issue....from exotic countries come strange bodily infestations that often come from a host. And theres disease too....BSE was a good example of how a hideous disease can be from the food we eat. Farmed animals in this country are controlled. When I ate meat I occasionally went to farmers markets and there were rabbits this particular day, I thought how? He said he'd shot them on his land....so I wondered how he knew of their health etc whereby he got a strop on!!
Then theres the question why? Why eat something you dont need to? In history people ate larks tongue in aspic etc and I remember thinking how greedy and self indulgent the rich were in those days....it seemed unthinkable.
I`m perplexed.

It's crazy, isn't it? It really makes me mad (understatement). I have no tolerance for poachers. Sadly, I live in Canada, which probably has the wimpiest (most lienient) justice system in the world. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Things are the same here unfortunatly.But here it is"legal".Most Greek hunters shoot anything that moves(honesty),it's terrible to watch and you really can't do anything...The authorities are on they're side!!!Even the forestry administration!!!!So Kevin I don't think that Canada is the worst.:-C

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back