• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mis-handling of raptors by ringers/banders? (1 Viewer)

I might well ask you the same question! It would be more helpful if you could engage your brain before you start typing on your keyboard. We are talking about threads of a technical nature where ringers are asked by their fellow ringers for advice or opinions, where or how does that involve you?

The person who started this thread was a ringer , but hadnt made it clear at that point, reread your first post in response to his question- get off the high horse fella. Where it involves me is that i have an interest in bird welfare and lets face it netting and handling birds can SOMETIMES (note that word)cause damage to birds. As for the technical aspect of these threads its pretty easy to follow, it aint rocket science

Photos are merely pictures showing how the bird is being held, they are not evidence that the bird is being harmed (how can you see wing strain, fractured metacarpals in a photo?).
and what are these experiences? Can you elaborate? Have you passed this on to the BTO to consider in their guidelines?I disagree - if a handling technique has harmed a bird -and we're talking some kind of wing or body damage here, then at least some of them would not have flown on release, they'd have 'flopped' with a fractured furculum wing strain or something. Plenty of raptors have been studied intensively - sparrowhawk and mauritius kestrel and barn owl to name a few off the top of my head. Population studies such as these would clearly show if an individual disappeared or was in difficulty soon after handling, and warning bells would be going off in the ringers concerned. So, there would be at least some records of birds being crippled to some extent during ringing, and possibly some records of increased mortality during population studies.

the fact that no birds were reported crippled during ringing, and no increased mortality was seen in populations studies would be a hint...but then to use proof of that kind of negative would rule out all ringing - there is no data that any handling technique results in no harm.
No, because they'd get reported to the ringing authorities (such as the BTO) as casulaties, if there was an obvious tangible problem. Unless the ringers were burying such evidence the world over, which is hard to credit.

I'll say again, we've got posters saying they've seen or have the evidence ("it's in the photo!"), but nobody has shown me evidence of a damaged bird yet
==================================================================

The evidence that you have cited is not really good enough to back up what you say. To say that there is evidence from maritius, barn owls, suggests that the methods that they use have not caused any appreciable effects on the measured parameters, that is ok. Most studies on ringing find similar results.
I am not arguing about that. They do not use such techniques in the first place

To say that these particular handling techniques do not cause appreciable effects you would need a totally different study. You would need a group of birds handled in this way, released and then recaptured somehow (by resighting, re capture etc) and you would need a group of the same birds in the same location caught and handled using the BTO or the like recommended techniques to directly compare.

Population studies would not show you if individuals were not seen again, they work on means, not individuals. To show any small effect would need the exact handling technique to be noted and a relationship examined.

It is this data that probably does not exist and that you would need to 'prove harm'. Just because no studies have reported handling effects is a credit to these studies, and i doubt very much that many of these (definately the maritius kestrel when i have seen this species being ringed) have used the
techniques in question.

The studies cited can only study the birds that have been captured- and thus they are all subject to the same handling (roughly) and so you would not expect any subset to show the effects that you mention at all, as they have been treated the same.

Regarding my experiences, i would say that most ringers can tell when a bird in unduly stressed (indeed if they ring in the UK they must be able to do this to get an A permit (and know the signs to get a C permit)) and this is what i have seen, birds handled in this manner showing signs of stress and reluctance to fly off when released, sitting there fluffed up for 15 minutes before flying off etc. I have also seen primaries damaged by using this one handed technique, as i have stated several posts back. This is enough evidence for me and indeed is good evidence. The techniques that i have seen causing these issues are the wing displaying techniques and the one handed holding technique.
I have never seen either of these techniques used in the UK (therefore telling the BTO will not be very useful). only abroad. I think that this should be the taregt audience of this thread. as well as keeping UK ringers aware of different techniques.

Indeed if these techniques are so good- as useful for taking record shots of rarities, then we can even adopt them for ourselves!

So ask the question, how many banders/ ringers are happy to use the two techniques illustrated in a routine manner?

I will stick to my methods that i have yet to seen stress or strain on any bird that i have handled.

I would suggest that ringing the larger birds whilst still in the bag and taking a leg out is perhaps the best way to ring raptors, owls etc. Taking photos of wings etc, if it is necessary, then use the standard techniques illustrated in many ringing guides and organisations such as SAFRING, BTO etc of the standard leg hold, restraining one wing and extending the other by the main joint would be the optimum. Where the birds is very lage then two people should assist wherever possible.

Re the use of photos as evidence. I do think that they are very important for several reasons:

-They show a lot about the birds condition,
-They may show feather loss or feather damage
-By collating such pictures may indicate how widespread such techniques may be in the banding worl

Of course they cannot show damage under the wing, but they do show both birds with undamaged feather and birds with damaged feathers very well. As such they are very good evidence in both directions- that some birds handled have feathers in perfect looking condition and that others do not

The person who started this thread was a ringer , but hadnt made it clear at that point, reread your first post in response to his question- get off the high horse fella. Where it involves me is that i have an interest in bird welfare and lets face it netting and handling birds can SOMETIMES (note that word)cause damage to birds. As for the technical aspect of these threads its pretty easy to follow, it aint rocket science

General threads concerning ringing is fair game for all forumers, no question. My remark referred to ‘when a ringer asks other ringers for an opinion or to discuss a particular technical point’. If a thread is directed at other ringers in such a way, then how can others contribute unless they are a ringer and/or have the necessary experience? It may not be rocket science, but to give a useful and meaningful response to such a request in these circumstances requires both knowledge and experience i.e. another ringer.

There are examples (not this thread) of threads here where they become hi-jacked by those seeking to express opinions that bear no relation to the original subject. I believe it to be a reasonable question to ask other ringers whether it might be better to discuss ‘technical’ issues on a membership sub-forum. Of course topics related to general ringing issues and interest must remain open for all. It is a question to other ringers and one that of course would need approval from those responsible for running birdforum.

Last edited:
couple of points to address from that:

of course population studies work on individuals. If they worked on means, it would not be necessary to have uniquely-coded rings for EACH bird for a start. Or colour-ringing. If you are monitoring a population, you often know every individual in your study area. So you will be very aware if/when it disappears. Analyses may work on means, but data collection is at the individual level. IPMR doesn't ask for mean ringing data, it asks for individual.

I disagree that the BTO wouldn't be much use. I think you should pass on your observations, as a guidance note may be necessary for those UK ringers that go abroad to ring, or see other handling methods on the internet, and give them a try in the UK.

Also, non of the BTO's advice on handling techniques is from a study set up as you describe. How could it be? Delberately using dubious methods is against the rules. As far as I can tell, the guidelines are set up based on reports of the experience of ringers - if people report problems then it gets considered. I don't think the BTO would sanction holding a sample of raptors by the wing tips to decide if it's going to cause damage. By definition, is that was the way it worked then you're saying that the BTO would have deliberately sacrificed a sample of birds in a trial for every guidance note (otherwise they wouldn't have banned it). I can't see this happening somehow.

General threads concerning ringing is fair game for all forumers, no question. My remark referred to ‘when a ringer asks other ringers for an opinion or to discuss a particular technical point’. If a thread is directed at other ringers in such a way, then how can others contribute unless they are a ringer and/or have the necessary experience? It may not be rocket science, but to give a useful and meaningful response to such a request in these circumstances requires both knowledge and experience i.e. another ringer.

There are examples (not this thread) of threads here where they become hi-jacked by those seeking to express opinions that bear no relation to the original subject. I believe it to be a reasonable question to ask other ringers whether it might be better to discuss ‘technical’ issues on a membership sub-forum. Of course topics related to general ringing issues and interest must remain open for all. It is a question to other ringers and one that of course would need approval from those responsible for running birdforum.

To be fair, Peter, if ringers want to go and chat in private then they can use the BTO ringer's forums. Birdforum is, and should be, an open forum.

couple of points to address from that:

of course population studies work on individuals. If they worked on means, it would not be necessary to have uniquely-coded rings for EACH bird for a start. Or colour-ringing. If you are monitoring a population, you often know every individual in your study area. So you will be very aware if/when it disappears. Analyses may work on means, but data collection is at the individual level. IPMR doesn't ask for mean ringing data, it asks for individual.

To prove damage one way or another you need mean results, you will need a group of birds (individuals) that has a mean different response to another group (for the simplest of analyses)

Results from individuals are anecdotes, not evidence as you would require it.
hence why i suggested that it would be next to impossible to gather such data

We cannot simple go by the rules that everything ok unless we have a great big study showing otherwise, as you say this would be immoral to gather sufficient data. so the only way to deal with this is by using anecdotes and collecting them together and the discussing them.... If we had hard evidence there would be not much need for a debate on techniques.

It does however seem that there are only a few posters showing concerns or offering their opinions on the best technique, so i guess it is a bit dull to continue with this non-discussion.

I'm done anyway..

To prove damage one way or another you need mean results, you will need a group of birds (individuals) that has a mean different response to another group (for the simplest of analyses)

Results from individuals are anecdotes, not evidence as you would require it.
hence why i suggested that it would be next to impossible to gather such data

We cannot simple go by the rules that everything ok unless we have a great big study showing otherwise, as you say this would be immoral to gather sufficient data. so the only way to deal with this is by using anecdotes and collecting them together and the discussing them.... If we had hard evidence there would be not much need for a debate on techniques.

It does however seem that there are only a few posters showing concerns or offering their opinions on the best technique, so i guess it is a bit dull to continue with this non-discussion.

I'm done anyway..

Jed chin-up. Go start a new thread asking for ringers opinions on their preferred methods of handling raptors, I for one promise to contribute. With good wording and not knocking any other method you should get reasonable responses, who knows might even encourage FalconBirder back into the debate/discussion!

:t:

To be fair, Peter, if ringers want to go and chat in private then they can use the BTO ringer's forums. Birdforum is, and should be, an open forum.

Of course you are right. I was thinking in terms of ringers across all schemes and countries, birdforum embraces those countries running ringing schemes. The BTO forum only includes those licensed and/or ringing in the UK. T’was only an idea.

will do !

i will give it a few days though! I have learnt quite a bit from this discussion anyway.. just not all about the topic in question!

For my first foray in birdforum, it has been a lot more open minded than other forums that i have visited---

I have never seen either of these techniques used in the UK (therefore telling the BTO will not be very useful). only abroad. I think that this should be the taregt audience of this thread. as well as keeping UK ringers aware of different techniques.

Neither have I. And I have seen this one handed method used will no apparent ill-effects by professional raptor ringers in certain countries. Banders who handle raptors on a day to day basis and clearly know the limits of a bird.

Having banded in a number of different countries, I can make a frank assessment of the British ringing scheme, and in terms of the BTO being one of the 'leaders' in the global banding community, I would hesitate to agree. There are many ways in which the BTO is missing out on various scientific possibilities, that a standardisation of protocol would allow. That however is a topic for another thread.

I fully agree with the post. The people handling the birds look uneasy and there are already many ruffled feathers. It is necessary to take a few scratches to ensure the bird is not damaged.

I fully agree with the post. The people handling the birds look uneasy and there are already many ruffled feathers. It is necessary to take a few scratches to ensure the bird is not damaged.

Sounds to me like you haven't handled raptors. 'Ruffled' feathers are different to damaged feathers...and 'scratches'....well...you clearly haven't handled too many Buteos or larger Accipiters, let alone the Strix!!!

I would say with out banding and the use of satellite transmitters here in the State of New York USA we would not have done as good a job of reestablishing the bald eagle back from one remaining nesting pair in the 1960s to the 130 some odd counted this winter of 2007 & 2008 both from air and land. (Count not in yet). The nest is visited just the one time but monitored on a regular basis for the safety of the birds and that one visit is for the banding of the eaglets. Without being able to get feedback on the birds ID (from the bands) we would have no idea what or where they are or doing or going. This helps in keeping tabs on habitat conditions and fighting against development.
After the ban on DDT in 1972, the eagles were reproducing and relocating in areas that were good eagle habitat years ago in New York State and at a rate to adulthood of 16%, which was a good factor, and one we could only tell because we could read the bands on their legs.
What you say is very true about some mishandling as I have done some photos at the Raptor center I do some volunteer work at of a red tail hawk and what had happened to the tail feathers from being mishandled. It is in the process of being rehabbed and will be released when ready.
I myself have been on countless banding trips with our endangered species unit of New York State and on several of these we also took blood samples to check the levels of lead and other toxic chemicals that could be dangerous to a top of the food chain raptor like the bald eagle.
I would say your feelings of the people that are dedicated to the survival of a species that mishandle is a small amount but still worth bringing up. Again I say any education on any species of (for me raptors) but in general all birds and animals is certainly worthwhile. My web site www.loubuscher.com has a link on it called Still Soaring. These are the words from the hard years of bringing the eagle back and I have to say there may be some that seem to be wrong but I believe from what I have seen in the field and rehab center I have only met people that really know what their doing when it comes to this practice.
Lou

PS here is a showing of the release of a small female and the banding and transmitter placing after being rehabbed after near death found on the ground and unable to fly. I would think you will find the handling of this bird in proper order and well prepared for going back into the wild. The transmitter will let us know should she get into any trouble and any sightings and a band reading will even tell more about how and where she is doing and going. (Can be viewed as a slide show if wanted).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loub/sets/72157600437374155/

Lou

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back