• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 4500 and MC-EU1 slow start-up (1 Viewer)

cgilbert

England
Does anyone experience the 4500 either failing to start up, or is very, very slow at starting up with the MC-EU1 attached?

The manual says it may be slow with large CF cards (I only use 512mb's) and not to attach it when already powered up, but will that kill anything - as this seems to be the only way to use it?

If it powers down, then it really seems to be hit and miss as to whether it starts up again, or not, without powering off and trying again.

Can anyone offer any thoughts, other than to bin it!

Regards,
Cliff.

Go to Nikon's website and see whether or not you have the most recent firmware for the camera. There was an upgrade a while back that was aimed at improving the performance of the MC-EU1. For many users, including me, the upgrade helped a lot. Some people, however, reported no change. The MC-EU1 at best is balky at times, so don't expect a miraculous improvement in any case.

I bought the MC-EU1 with the 4500 some time ago and have never had any problems like other users. I plug it in then switch the camera on. There were
many comments about this unit on one of the lost threads.
In fact another unit was sourced from differant manufacturer which worked better but I cannot remember the name of it. Another BF member may have one of these and can jolt my memory.

Chris.

I used to have one of these with a 995 and found the order of switch on was:

Plug in remote, switch camera on and let it start up, then press shutter release on remote which brought the screen to life and carry on from there.

Perhaps I was one of the lucky one's but I never had any probs with mine.

Hope this helps

Pete

Yes,as Pete says,start the cam,wait a second then press the remote.I leave my remote in situ all the time,to save wear and tear on the outlet port.I also secure the remote cable with a small plastic tie,so that it does not put any strain on the port.My last 4500 developed a faulty port,which I think was due to the fact the remote cable used to dangle in mid air.Occassionally the remote does miss,but just turn off the cam,then re start.They are tempermental at times.

christineredgate said:
Yes,as Pete says,start the cam,wait a second then press the remote.I leave my remote in situ all the time,to save wear and tear on the outlet port.
But the manual says "The remote cord battery will be drained whenever the cord is attached to a camera, whether or not the camera is turned on". Does that mean this is wrong, or do you go through a bettery every couple of days?

Thanks Guys,

An update of the firmware and the wait a second and press the remote works great!

It even starts up after auto power down.

Thanks all,
Cliff.

Cliff,my remote is left attached all the time,I never remove it,and have not noticed any excess battery drainage.

RonClark28 said:
Hello all

Can I ask a daft question please? What is a MC-EU1 and what is it used for please?

Ron

Ron, this is designed to operate the Nikon 4500 when you do not want camera shake when digiscoping. It consists of a wire which plugs into the camera at one end and at the other end is a hand unit which can zoom,autofocus and fire the camera.

Chris.

gw4aurora said:
Ron, this is designed to operate the Nikon 4500 when you do not want camera shake when digiscoping. It consists of a wire which plugs into the camera at one end and at the other end is a hand unit which can zoom,autofocus and fire the camera.

Chris.

Hello Chris

Thanks for the reply about the NC-EU1 - but where dose it plug in please? I haven't heard of these things, so are they worth buying, or are they slowing down the camera to any extent as some users seem to be suggesting?

I've had my 4500 for about 18 months now and looking for the port where to plu in one of these toys, I've found another little sliding catch by the tri-pod screw thread bit that is marked 'Limit'. Any ideas as to what that is for please?

Ron

Hi Ron

The limit switch is there to lock the two sections of the camera so that when you`re using one of Nikon`s teleconverter lenses the weight of the lens doesn`t cause the camera to droop.

Cheers Steve.

I sometimes experience slow reaction times with the MC EU-1, especially when trying to start the thing up 1st time, no matter how much i press the button, i doesn't seem to want to come on, however this does not happen every time, but it is immensely annoying when it does! More rarely, sometimes the camera does not take when i press the button, these no/slow reactions seem to be unprecedented. Another problem with the MC EU-1 is that you cannot take another pic until the camera has finished recording, something which you can do when using the camera solo. This can often have it's disadvantages, especially when photographing birds, as time is often of the essence. However the Mc EU-1 has yeilded some superb results for me, and i strongly recommend it as when it works, it's fantastic.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back