• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinions wanted - Opticron BGA T PC Oasis 8x24 (1 Viewer)

vkalia

Robin stroker
I am looking at getting a pair of compacts for hiking/scouting trips, and was looking at an 8x25 configuration. I need fogproof/waterproof, and was considering the Opticron BGA T PC Oasis 8x24s (does someone there get paid by the letter for naming their binos? A more confusing nomenclature I cannot imagine!).

Anyone have any opinions about this particular piece, or can recommed another? My other option was the Leupold Olympic 8x25s. I'd like to keep these bins to the $200-250 range. If my budget were in the $400 range, I'd get the Nikon LXLs, but I'd prefer not to spend that much for what is essentially a tertiary bino.

On a related note, can i expect to get a compact bino which is actually useful for birding in this price range? It wont be my primariy bino for this, of course - however, if I am on a 2-3 hiking trip and I come across a nice location, I'd like to be able to take advantage of the opportunity that presents itself.

Vandit

personally i'd spend a bit more and get the Opticron 8x32 Traveller or go for a reverse porro. think nikon have a waterproof one now.

personally i'd spend a bit more and get the Opticron 8x32 Traveller or go for a reverse porro. think nikon have a waterproof one now.
I think I would agree with that. I have used the Opticron Aspheric LE 8x25, which were all right but had a very shallow depth of focus which means you have to keep refocusing all the time as you scan about.

Incidentally the lettering on the BGA T PC Oasis stands for: B - suitable for spectacle users, GA - rubber armoured, T - don't know, PC - phase coated, Oasis - Opticron's fancy name for their new coating. There must be an easier way! Anyone hazard a guess what T stands for?

Ron

Pete & Ron -

Thanks for those comments. They reinforce the sneaking suspicion I had that roofs in the $200-250 range are probably not going to be all that special. I am holding out hope for some first hand reviews of the Leupold Olympic compacts, but other than that, it seems slim pickings.

I dont want to get into 8x32 range b/c I already have a vere nice Minox BD 8x32 bins. I am looking for pocketable - in this context, something which will fit in the outer pockets of my cargo pants, but without adding a lot of weight. About 15oz is my max, weight wise. I think that would rule most 8x32s.

Never used reverse porros. However, I generally keep my bins at a pretty low IPD, so I'm not sure how the ergonomics of reverse porros would work out in such cases. I do like roofs, I have to admit - so perhaps that is throwing off my objectivity.

I realize that at my budget, I am not going to get top glass. Nor do I need it. All I need is the compact equivalent of the Nikon Monarchs, in terms of value and quality: budget glass but which is compares reasonably well with top glass in its category. Am happy to buy used as well, so if someone has a pair that they wanna sell....

Pipe dream?

Vandit

I think I would agree with that. I have used the Opticron Aspheric LE 8x25, which were all right but had a very shallow depth of focus which means you have to keep refocusing all the time as you scan about.

Incidentally the lettering on the BGA T PC Oasis stands for: B - suitable for spectacle users, GA - rubber armoured, T - don't know, PC - phase coated, Oasis - Opticron's fancy name for their new coating. There must be an easier way! Anyone hazard a guess what T stands for?

Ron

T stands for twist up eyecups. The old version had rubber.

Optically these binos do offer a crisp image with good resolution and are ideal for those wanting a "compact" as the build is a double hinge, allowing it to fold down more than a single hinged reverse porro. With the lens design / glass type and coatings used the view is acceptable given the price. They are not comparible to Leica Ultravids, for sure, but given your budget (imo)
a definite unit to consider. Other similar spec makes are the Minox 8 x 25BD /BR OR the NIKON Sportstar EX but I still think the overall performance and handling of the Opticron wins for me. I think B is for black / PC phase correction but I'll stand corrected!

Last edited:
Thanks for that info, Pyrtle. I've posted on the main bino forum asking about opinions compared to other roofs in this same price range as well... that should help me with my selection, I hope.

Regards,
Vandit

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back