• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

not a bird, but it does fly. (1 Viewer)

rose taylor

Evening all,
T'other Rose has had an exciting visitor to her garden. She saw a violet carpenter bee. She sent me a picture and he is very pretty. Apparently, it came over from the continent. (clever little bee!). They don't sting, but she wonders if it's a threat to out native bees, can anyone help?
Thanks
Rose.

Hi Rose.
The bee in question is described as a 'monster', but only because of its size. As you say, they are continental, but there are breeding colonies over here, one of which is in a dead Bramley apple tree in a garden in Shepshed, near Leicester.

Baz.

Interesting, that's something I'd like to see. I find most bees quite passive although I rarely see honey bees these days so I wouldn't wind them up. I have handled many bees that are on the ground so they don't get squashed and they seem quite happy to let me pick them up.

Beautiful Rose (not you the Bee! ;)). What a stunner and I think I'd recognise one again - if lucky enough to see. Well done to Rose 2 for finding it. Where is she by the way, I only thought of her the other day when looking at our Froglets.

Take care of yourselves.

Sue.

Hi Rose.
Eeek! It looks like the size of a Bunny Rabbit!
I posted both pics giving details & copyright.
Will keep a look out, thanks for letting us know Rose.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 6
Hi all. Thanks for the article Brian, although, unless the one I saw was a juvenile I think the description of size was a bit exaggerated. Certainly bigger than a bumble bee but not quite a monster, it was spectacular though.

I've not seen any reports that they are a threat to our bees although I would've thought that a colony of bees that large would consume quite a lot...

Thanks Sue for your thoughts of me (and, of course, my frogs). I've had a bit of a hard year, my dad died in June and I'm now spending a lot of my time supporting my mum, one way and another. The garden's gone to rack and ruin but the wildlife still thrives and the birds are fed fairly regularly. I know they are ok anyway 'cos they can always go along the street to Rose!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back