• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold BX-4 vs. Vortex Viper (1 Viewer)

Hi I am wondering if anyone has experience using these that may be able to help me with some pros and cons. I am a little torn between these two but am leaning towards the Leupolds.

I'm looking to buy binos for my wife who is an avid birder.

Thank you for any advice that you offer!

The Leupold, is, in my opinion the better binocular. The optics are pretty close, but the Leupold is a very compact instrument for fitting into a 42 mm frame. Leupold has pretty well set the industry standard for excellent service and warranty. Vortex has an excellent warranty, but I have been to Leupold ans seen their repair service facilities. I do not think Vortex has more than a small repair capability. However these days anyone is likely to replace rather than repair.

I'd suggest looking at the 32 mm versions of each one, particularly as the smaller size seems better suited for smaller hands typically possessed by ladies. I happen to think the 32mm Viper is the best Viper by a fair margin. I'd look at both and let your wife make the call based on ergonomic fit and balance.

Hey Myiothlypis, I don't have experience with the Viper. I am myself currently confused between a BX-4 and another ~$800 mid-range model. Optical quality in the sweet spot is very nice. Relatively speaking, I felt the build quality wasn't good. 7º field of view on an 8x42 might be restrictive for some birders. If you can, it is best to order both, and try. You won't regret it.

Good luck!
Kumar

Last edited:
Hello @Myiothlypis, I took the 8x42 BX4s out for a good bit outdoors today. The large park where I was, has trails that pass through both wide open areas and woodlands. I personally found the FoV limiting not only while following (and finding) those tiny yellow-throats in the woodlands, but also found it a little restrictive while tracking fast moving gulls above the lake. Optically, in the center, however tiny that sweet spot was, it was nice. May be with experience, the aforementioned issues would improve, not sure. Just thought I should update you on that.

OP...
I've got 8X42 Viper HD right here. It's an okay binocular, but in no way is it a $500 binocular or comparable in quality to the previous Viper HD. That's just the way it is. I used it many trips and compared to the Meopta Meopro HD and Vanguard Endeavor EDs. I'd rather have the Meopro HD OR the Endeavor ED IV or even the II in this price range. The Meopro HD is the best made and the Endeavor ED IV slightly better optics. I'd probably pick the Meopro overall.

HTHs!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1061.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1061.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 193
+1 for the suggestion to try the MeoproHD as well. If you go the MeoproHD route, contact Doug @CameralandNY - he might have some deals on them! Worth checking.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back