• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lewis, Harris and North Uist for the weekend (1 Viewer)

johnraven

I just had an excellent weekend in the outer hebrides. Anyone going up there shortly might be interested in the following.

There were 2 white-billed divers at Port Skigersta on Saturday, at about NB 565 590. I viewed them from Creag a Rubha, following some reasonable peat-cutter trails across the bog. They were really distant, and I had to stare at them for 45 minutes before I became confident I had IDed them right - a lifer for me. Thankfully there were a few Great Northern Divers around for comparison. I was rather reassured when some other birders also saw two (rather than the three previously reported) at the same spot.

I was even more reassured by having much better views of a summer plumage WB Diver adult from Butt of Lewis later on that morning. Much better views - it really had a banana bill on show.

It was a bit early for Corncrakes. None to be heard at Balranald and none reported. There was a report on the hebrides sightings webpage of one in the Bec area last week, and it was in this area that I heard one on Fri night. But there was no chance of seeing it and the noise from a nearby farm (horrendous metal-on-metal scrapping!) seemed to scare it off.

Luskentyre was good. Loads of GN Divers, and a pair of s/pl Black-throated on the sea. A drake Surf Scoter was distant to the north, among thousands of Commons. Lots of Twite too - really pink ones, I forgot they could be so pinky.

I saw 4 Golden Eagles in total, all adults, on all 3 islands from roadsides. No luck on White-tailed Eagles though, probably bad time of year and I was only guessing as to where to look.

Quite a few migrants about. A few individual redwings kicking around, and a flock of White-fronted Geese flying off towards Iceland. Grasshopper and sedge warblers at Col reedbed, Little Tern at Balranald and a few Arctic Terns on Sound of Harris and elsewhere. Lots of Great Skuas and one Arctic Skua crossing the moors north of Bec.

A couple of Iceland Gulls (1W at Stornoway Harbour flying about but easy to find, and an adult at Loch Barvas) and 1 Glaucous Gull (1W/spring at Loch Barvas).

I also saw a bizarre shearwater which I could have sworn was a Sooty but it had a small white patch on its otherwise dark body. Could be a Med Shearwater I guess but it seemed to be too big and may be rather too north for them? It will remain a mystery I fear - probably just a Manx and me losing my mind after 2 hours of staring at Divers over a mile away!

Overall excellent weekend, particularly the 4 divers in a day bit!

John

Thanks for that report John, very interesting and most useful, I have printed a copy to take with me tomorrow. I expect to get the ferry to Lewis on Monday morning provided that I clean up around Aviemore after we arrive on Thursday. Last year we crossed to Lewis from Ullapool, drove down through Harris and then took the ferry to North Uist etc and that is our plan this year. Last year though we had to rush back to see the Barrows Goldeneye!!!.
Hopefully this year we can also spend a few days on Skye as well.
I only managed three Divers in one day last year, after seeing White-billed off Burghead I just could not find a Great Northern. Roger

Thanks John, sounds like an excellent trip. I've not been to that area - the White Billed Divers and Corncrake would be new birds for me and sound tempting!

Matthew

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back