• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seemingly the bird of the moment.. (2 Viewers)

Cheers guys....let's hope it keeps going the right way! Looking at this piece I reckon I should stop listening to War of the Worlds whilst I paint - although in fact it could actually work...stick a fallen tripod in the back and have the hornbills eating a Martian.....sorted! Sci-fi and birds, two of my favourite things ;)
But for now it's back to putting on Studio Ghibli films to paint to....so christ knows what could appear if I'm not careful!! :-O

so exciting to see it develop, I'm pulling up a chair here for sure.

Another chair here. It's nice to see the verbal ideas taking visual shape. I'm sure you could visualize what you wanted but I really couldn't. Now I see what you had planned. A great drama unfolding.

Another chair here. It's nice to see the verbal ideas taking visual shape. I'm sure you could visualize what you wanted but I really couldn't. Now I see what you had planned. A great drama unfolding.

I'm gonna rent deckchairs for this one folks...

Looking great Adam, reds are really going to bring these birds straight into focus...

Hey all, thanks for the encouragement...let's hope i can live up to it!!
Not much been happening the last couple of days due to bro's bday and nice weather on a bank holiday for a change!
Just playing with the smoke/fire, trying to get a balance between both but can't find the orange paint tube I've got somewhere which is quite vibrant and would be perfect for the flames...damn! Blocked in some of the bigger trees again and just threw the basic wash over the birds themselves. Re-shaped the whitish ash around the fallen tree which will hopefully aid in the birds not being lost and have extended the amount of sand visible for the same reason....
Will next be finishing the background so I can begin to layer in the bushes, trees etc visible through the smoke

Kruger BBQ - all you can eat! WIP (3) (Large).jpg

As if by magic Tim, it appears as you post. Appreciate the nagging ;)

watching and admiring- always intrigued to see how far artists allow themselves to start painting in the juicy bits from early on, how far they stick at the background and stoutly save the eyes and face detail for last

Fascinating stuff here, Adam. Knowing very little about the processes in painting (I am currently picking bits and bobs up!) could you tell me what 'tackle' your using here, please. I assume this is a watercolour?
I'm watching with great interest here, but I'm particularly drawn to the fact that you can keep trying things out or 'messing around'. I do suppose it's very easy to fart around too much and ruin something like this, though.

Russ

Oh yeah Russ - very easy indeed to overwork things!! I work in acrylic for paintings and my illustration work too - still haven't quite got round to playing with oils yet...keep saying I will, then say 'next time'....guess it's a bit of the fear of the unknown!
Ed, yep the temptation is there too...but I always try and leave the birds til mostly the last bit as they are the most interesting aspect.....but have to throw something at them to make sure they'll work in the overall finish (well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!). Although I'll admit to often painting the eyes and face first in most things I do as I personally think it gives me a connection to the subject.

Be interesting to see how this works out Adam. It is like a wonderful "battle-plan." I hope the outcome is favourable! Skirmishes looking good so far...;)

Still plodding on....

Been working on the background...bit weird really as I've painted in the detail only to fade it out with the smoke to throw it further back. Just need to redefine some of the flames a touch, but nothing too major. Changed ideas about the white ash around the fallen tree that my ref photo shows...so changed it to more sandy ground as the white just looked odd sitting behind the birds. The thinking was that it would bring the birds forward more but it was too much, the sand colour does just fine and the low-lying smoke I've brought further forward than planned has helped bring them out anyways. Still need to add a few more bushy things to give some more depth but I've gotta find ones that will work so back to trawling through my photos.....
Still unsure what to do in the immediate foreground which is why there's not much there other than scribbled-in ideas....but there will be Cape Glossies hopping around so see how it goes....and the roller will be going on the end of the main fallen tree :)

Kruger BBQ - all you can eat! WIP (4) (Large).jpg

Cheers for the encouragement guys 'n' gal....it's gotten to that mid-timespan now where the painting seems to get bogged down - lots of work going into it but not alot to show for it....hate this period, when it all looks uphill! Reminds me of climbing Mt Kinabalu, as we left the camp at 10000ft at 0200 and our guide said it wasn't that far really and pointed to where we could see other climbers' head torches blinking away it did indeed seem not that far, true...except they were almost bloody vertical to our position! Still, if this piece turns out anything like that sunrise at 13000ft then I'll be well pleased ;)
User...Apocalypse Now Hornbills.....new title maybe ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back