• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid 10x22C compact - Uppendahl prisms? (1 Viewer)

cdmackay

I've just picked up a pair of 1979 Trinovid 10x22C compact, which seem very nice for carrying around.

It doesn't really matter, but I wondered if anyone knew: do these old compact use the same Uppendahl prisms as in the regular Trinovids?

With the compact, there is no "flange" on the barrel, which is where the prism is located on the larger models, I believe; the barrel is round all the way along.

That would mean the prism would have to fit entirely within the barrel itself; but perhaps that's possible because of the much smaller objective?

On an unrelated note, I was also expecting some sort of a yellow cast, given various things I'd read, but I see no sign of any cast at all. Which is nice.

Overall, very pleased... what do others think of them?

The small size 8x and 10x Leicas always used Schmidt-Pechan prisms. With the larger models the Uppendahl prisms were abandoned after the first generation of Trinovids in favor of SM prisms. Only the Geovids still use Uppendahl prisms, which should now be replaced by Perger prisms.

ah thanks Hans, so the lack of phase-coating on these early ones really is more of a potential issue, given the SP has twice the number of air/glass interfaces?

In theory of course; I doubt I can see any difference in practice :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back