• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Data base?? (1 Viewer)

Al Kat

In looking through the forums bird data base I did not find a Gray-Cheeked Thush Catharus guttatus Hope I just did not miss it. I have some respectable shots of a Gray-Cheeked but do not know how to go about getting them into the data base or seeing if they would like the pictures for the data base Could anyone explain the process

Thanks for any help Hope I am in the right forum for this question

Hi Al Kat,

Try the "Olde Englishe" spelling! Grey-cheeked Thrush. I think you'll find it then. Sorry I can't help you with uploading photo's.

Regards

Ken.

We do have a bird with that scientific name in the database but we are calling it a Hermit Thrush. The Gray-cheeked Thrush is Catharus minimus.

The database is used as a reference for ID photos of species. Some pictures we have numerous of, some a few and others none at all. The normal starting point is to upload your picture(s) to the gallery - up to 3 in 24 hours allowed. If you have a species that we do not have any pictures of it is best to mark DB after the title, so myself and the other gallery/DB Mods can pick it out.

As I said some species we have page upon page of "other images" and so every so often we will check that the best photo for iD, it is not always the most photogenic.

Why not upload some photos in the gallery, there are quite a few North American species that we have no photos of at all. I know this as earlier on this year I went through Sibleys Book from front to back checking them against the gallery and then checking the DB for the best picture.

Hope this helps...hope to see some of your pictures in the gallery soon.

Last edited:
lammy said:
Is the database all the birds in the world marmot?
ps like the avatar marmot

I believe the 10,134 is about the number of species in the World with a bit of leeway either way. Best ones for this information are Rasmus and Cuckooroller. Out of these we have 4,687 at present.. so we are closing up on the half way mark, not bad for the time that we have been here. When all comes to all these photographs have all been supplied by BF Worldwide membership. :clap:

PS Glad you like the avatar, the original one is by Pavlik from Russia.
Here http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/57200/sort/1/cat/fav/page/1

Marmot said:
I believe the 10,134 is about the number of species in the World with a bit of leeway either way. Best ones for this information are Rasmus and Cuckooroller. Out of these we have 4,687 at present.. so we are closing up on the half way mark, not bad for the time that we have been here. When all comes to all these photographs have all been supplied by BF Worldwide membership. :clap:

PS Glad you like the avatar, the original one is by Pavlik from Russia.
Here http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/57200/sort/1/cat/fav/page/1
thanks marmot i guess we'll have to send the birder crew out in to the wierd places in the world to get them monkeys(other birds) to add to the database o:D o:D o:D

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back