• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AF tracking - which camera works best? (1 Viewer)

jebir

Yoda Eagle
I am considering upgrading to a dSLR and, being a birder, I would very much appreciate a tracking AF system. However, I have no experience at all with AF SLRs as I have used the good old Olympus OM1 since the 70s. (I have considered the Olympus E-1 but I don't think it has any tracking AF.)

Wat are your experiences here?

Any advice would be helpful.

Cheers, Jens.

The Nikon D2H is simply awesome in this respect.I've just given mine a thorough work-out in Kenya and was delighted with the shots of birds in flight I got.I also use a Nikon D-100 and Fuji S2 Pro which use the autofocus aystem derived from the Nikon F80.They are no slouches but the D2H is in a different class.It was designed for fast-action sports photography,and this translates very well to shooting birds.
Best wishes,Pete

Thanks Pete,

so it depends on the camera body more than the lens? Does the lens influence at all? I have seen so many nice flying bird shots here and most of them taken with modern SLR cameras. Since the interest for my question was so low, I am curious about if people with consumer AF SLRs ever use the AF for flying birds?

Anyway, maybe I will save up to a second hand D2H some day but until then I will have to search for a camera that fits my budget and needs at the same time.

Cheers, Jens.

Good,wide-aperture,lenses help;like the Nikon or Canon 70-200 f2.8s with ultrasonic motors.Mostly,though,it's down to the auto-focus module in the camera body.I don't want to denigrate the performance of most of today's DSLRs.The D2H and Canon 1D Mk.II are the ultimate,but cameras like the D70/D100 or Eos 10D are eminently capable of taking great in flight shots,too;it's just that operator competence becomes more of an issue! I'm currently mid-way through sorting and post-processing several thousand shots just taken in Kenya,including lots of in-flight shots.I'll be posting the most interesting in the gallery over the next week or so.
Best wishes,Pete

I am really looking forward to see them Pete. Unfortunately we don't have any camera store in my little town that carries any of the better dSLRs. So I guess I will have to go to Stockholm to get a hands-on test.

Cheers, Jens.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back