• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for waist belt/holster for carrying camera (1 Viewer)

Tucson Birder

United States
Due to a rotator cuff injury, I'm trying to avoid carrying a camera (and heavy binoculars) on my shoulder or neck. Does anyone have experience with a waist belt/holder system? My camera is a Sony RX10 IV bridge camera so it's lighter than most DSLRs and also the telephoto lens retracts when not in use so it's fairly compact. I know that there are options from Cotton Carrier and Spider Holster, but would appreciate any insights you have.

I carry my camera on my hip. I bought two carabiners and a simple camera bag and removed the strap. At the two strap attachment points I use a carabiner, which then goes through a belt loop on my pants; one loop is between the right pocket and the pants button, and the other loop is on the side of my hip. Works perfectly and I can zip the bag easily and it is totally secure and comfortable.

Thanks, that sounds like a great solution. I may need to just stop taking the camera for a while anyway. Sadly, holding it up is a problem, not just carrying it.

Due to a rotator cuff injury, I'm trying to avoid carrying a camera (and heavy binoculars) on my shoulder or neck. Does anyone have experience with a waist belt/holder system? My camera is a Sony RX10 IV bridge camera so it's lighter than most DSLRs and also the telephoto lens retracts when not in use so it's fairly compact. I know that there are options from Cotton Carrier and Spider Holster, but would appreciate any insights you have.
The Tamrac Pro Compact 2 case will work quite well. It has a shoulder strap and easy enough to have it over the head and across the back so it is readily accessible to slide to the front and remove the camera. I use this case with my Pansonic Lumix DC-LX100 II which is about the same size as your Sony RV10. Room in the case for a spare battery or memory card or lens cleaning cloth.

Lowepro used to do two or three waist bags (I'm not sure what their current line up is like). I had one about 20 yrs ago - I did find that they can slip when walking though, but I think that's going to be the problem with most waist bags.

Lowepro used to do two or three waist bags (I'm not sure what their current line up is like). I had one about 20 yrs ago - I did find that they can slip when walking though, but I think that's going to be the problem with most waist bags.
Thanks, I'll take a look

You might want to look at these. They come in several sizes and some are actually extendable. They do have shoulder straps, BUT all of them have belt loops too (their system is based on some sort of clever 'tool' belt). I used to lug my fat zoom wildlife camera around in one from that series (may do so again once I have finalized what my new camera system will look like). That was too big for hanging off a belt, but I distinctly remember a very sturdy belt attachment which opened and secured via several layers of velcro.

The Peak Design Capture Clip and Pro Pad can be used to carry your camera from your belt, but the RX10M4 is a bit heavy to do so:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back