• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what is this bird ? (1 Viewer)

Hello there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

It is a Tufted Titmouse ;)

Wow. My immediate thought was as KC said - Tufted Titmouse. But what a bill on that thing! And primaries that extend well past the tail coverts. And a longish tail to boot. And no sign of chestnut coloring on the side...

Probably just the B&W photo. But it has the GISS of a Tanager or Vireo.

My first instinct was probably right (TT), but I plan on following this thread.

As KC said, it's a Tufted Titmouse. No doubt, and nothing funny about it...

bcarlson396, if you post in future, pls can you put the location of the photo in the thread title, and giving the date when your pic was taken also helps a lot.

I live in Rhode Island, It was taken about noon time.
I am completely new to this whole bird watching thing; But I thought tufted titmouse also. But where is the tuft? Even thought it is a color photo...issues with my scanner produced a b\w photo. I will get a new color pic posted asap.

It does have a larger bill than the titmouse, and no yellow under the wings. Any other ideas ?

I live in Rhode Island, It was taken about noon time.
I am completely new to this whole bird watching thing; But I thought tufted titmouse also. But where is the tuft? Even thought it is a color photo...issues with my scanner produced a b\w photo. I will get a new color pic posted asap.

It does have a larger bill than the titmouse, and no yellow under the wings. Any other ideas ?

That Tuft will go up from time to time. It's there though. o:)

Now in color,
My first guess was a titmouse...but look at that beak.
Maybe some sort of Pewee or FlyCatcher

Attachments

• bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Now in color,

Hi bcarlson, and another welcome to BF.
I agree with KC, Bob, Microtus, and Terry...it is a Tufted Titmouse. As Microtus pointed out, it does have a black-oiled sunflower seed in its bill...which 'explains the honker bill.' Look at the photo in your first post...increase size to 150%, and you can clearly see the seed. As for the lack of the 'chestnut,' 'yellow,' or rust under the wings...it doesn't always show (non-breeding, juvenile, etc.). Nice photos. Best Wishes.:t:

Ron

Last edited:
Now in color,

This bird is with a no question, no doubt, 100% certainty a Tufted Titmouse.

Reevaluate your question - Flycatchers (of which pewees are a type) - they don't eat seeds, and won't be at your feeder. Additionally, this looks nothing like any of them.

As stated above, titmice regularly will have their crest down from time to time, and your bird's bill is nothing strange, it's merely a black nyjer seed in it's bill (from the feeder at which it's perched - go figure! ;)).

....it's merely a black nyjer seed in it's bill (from the feeder at which it's perched - go figure! ;)).

Hi Alex,
Now that you mention it, I believe that it is black nyjer seed. Might explain why I mis-identify birds at times...I can't tell what I'm looking at. LOL! Best Wishes. :t:

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back