• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

not Skylark, but ... what (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

While thinking about this bird (April 23 this year, Podhale Poland), I came to the conclusion that this shape (stout, short, small beak) excludes a skylark, but it is definitely some kind of skylark. What ? (and am I even thinking correctly ?). Sorry for the photos quality.

Attachments

• _MG_6324.JPG
    _MG_6324.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 126
  • _MG_6325.JPG
    _MG_6325.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 124
  • _MG_6326.JPG
    _MG_6326.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 125
Hello Michal,

do you have more pictures?

My first gut feeling was Crested Lark (and skipped the appearant shortish bill and uniform head pattern due to picture quality)

I dont have strong arguements against Corn Bunting (although head seems to small in relation to the body, giving your bird a Lark jizz imo and tail slightly too short (?)

Same with Skylark, although wings seems too broad and triangular shaped, therefore favouring Crested Lark imo. And I think, the white trailing edge on the wing should be visible, although they are regular worn off in end april (at least to a degree that they arent visible in these low resolution pictures (no offence you know). And the appearant head pattern seems to fit a Skylark best

But as said, I hope that more pictures provide a more confident assesment of these features.
And as always I hope for more comments. Thanks!

Thank you!
Unfortunately I don't have any more photos. I agree with most of Alex's conclusions, neither Crested Lark nor Corn Bunting nor Skylark fits here, beacause of some reasons. However, something can be seen in these poor photos.
Maybe I should start by saying that the day before, a Short Toed Lark was found in this place (and confirmed by the Polish Rarity Commission). He was the one I was hunting. So I will direct your attention in this direction yet ;)

Thank you!
Unfortunately I don't have any more photos. I agree with most of Alex's conclusions, neither Crested Lark nor Corn Bunting nor Skylark fits here, beacause of some reasons. However, something can be seen in these poor photos.
Maybe I should start by saying that the day before, a Short Toed Lark was found in this place (and confirmed by the Polish Rarity Commission). He was the one I was hunting. So I will direct your attention in this direction yet ;)
Incidentally, Short-toed Lark was the impression I got when looking at these pictures :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back