• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

places worth visiting in scotland???? (1 Viewer)

mc_twitch

im off to scotland on the 12th of april for a week and plan to visit mull as part of the trip to see the white talied eagles, we are also planing on visiting loch garten for the capercaillies and moving on for the ptarmigan.
Has anyone got any other ideas of places to go to see other interesting birds or mammals (i.e pine martin) in scotland?

Mc-twitch, someone who knows Scotland will come along soon, I'm sure -- from the posts I've read here, there's loads of spots for good birding in Scotland.

Have a good time on your trip, and do report back!

Depends on what you are after but following are a few links that might find you different birds.

Crested Tit you may find at the feeders at Loch Garten. Failing that you should see them on a walk close to Loch Garten that goes to Loch Mallachie. The walk starts at NH971185. I have had them close to the car park a few times. Click here to see where I mean .http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=819

Crossbills are at Forest Lodge, amongst many other places. NJ019161. Click here for link http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=819.

Black Grouse and Slavonian Grebes (breeding) are at Loch Ruthven. Black Grouse are to the right and up the hill of the car park. Slav's can be seen from the car park (distantly) but you can walk to a hide to see them better, NH638281. Click here for the link http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=819 (a very early arrival is recommended)

Ring Ouzel are at Sloch Summit on the side of the A9. NH841253. If you are approaching it northwards (towards Inverness) park at the layby on the right at the start of the summit. Walk along the fence and look at the bottom of the gulley in front of you and work your bins up and down the slope. I have had them there every time I have looked for them. Click here for link http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=819

Black throated Diver(breeding) should be at Lochendorb which is north of Grantown on Spey. NH975360 You will also see quite a few Red Grouse here as well. Click here for link http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=819.

Golden Eagle (Possible) are possibly can be found at Findhorn Valley also Dippers along the stream. Possible Ring Ouzel past the end of the road, which is a few miles long. You get there by turning off at the next left turn past Sloch Summit which heads towards Tomatin. You cross the bridge and then turn left and follow that road right through to where there is a small clump of buildings. You are not alowed to drive the car further but you can walk along the road there. Scan anwhere along the ridges on this route and you could be in for a treat. Ring Ouzels can also be found along the walk from the car on the right hand side of the track.

Ptarmigan, if you don't get them on the Cairngorms they can be found at the Bealach na Ba summit Nr Applecross. Click here for the link http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=819. Where you park up you will see a mast on a summit. You walk to it and on the way, near the top, you can come across them. It is not a long walk and it is easy. Before you do start the walk scan the area from the car park. You can sometimes see them from there.

There are many more places but these few might help.

Have a great time and don't forget to let us all know how you got on.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going up the A1 then a stop at Musselburgh may well be worth your while on the way there or on the way back. There you can get good views of Velvet Scoter, Long-tailed Duck, Slavonian Grebe, probably Red-necked Grebe, Red-throated Diver. It's also the best spot in Scotland for Mediterranean Gull and there's an outside chance of Surf Scoter.

Vane Farm RSPB Reserve is just off the M9 and could be worth a visit too for wildfowl.

David

If I was Scotland-bound, I'm not unfortunately, I would be keen to see the Harlequin Duck on Lewis and the American Coot - its not often you get chance to see two such rare birds in Britain. Plenty of other birds in the same areas I am sure. Check the information services when you are going.

Steve

Just to say that the Black Grouse at Loch Ruthven have unfortunately gone.

Both Crested Tit & Crossbill sp. can be seen pretty easily from the circular walk around Loch an Eilean near Aviemore on the Rothiemurcus Estate.

As for Pine Marten...

good luck!

"Just to say that the Black Grouse at Loch Ruthven have unfortunately gone."

When did they disappear Tom? The last time I saw them was in early June 2002.

There used to be a Lek on the other side of the river at Forest Lodge but that has gone also.

The only other places I know of is further south. It is just north of Dunblane near to Langside. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...v=Langside&st=3&tl=Langside,+Perth+&+Kinross+[Town]&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

Do you know any other places Tom?

I realise that many sites are well known, but on principle should we not just avoid the posting of six figure map refs. and site discussion for Schedule 1 breeding birds. Just for arguments sake.

I actually thought this was policy on the forum??

JP

jpoyner said:
I realise that many sites are well known, but on principle should we not just avoid the posting of six figure map refs. and site discussion for Schedule 1 breeding birds. Just for arguments sake.

I actually thought this was policy on the forum??

JP

I wholeheartedley agree with you. The problem is that the site I have mentioned is in virtually any book about birding in Scotland so is no secret to anybody that wants to know where Black Grouse can be found. The beauty of this site is that the car can be used as a hide as you can see them from the road without disturbing them.

Remember also that Leks are not breeding sites. Breeding sites should always be kept secret in all circumstances.

Last edited:
Yes and I think it's not a bad thing having a few known sites to act as honey pots thus reducing pressure on others, this is proven to work. I think in general that there is a fair idea amongst birders as to which sites are generally acceptable to visit.
I just think caution is needed. "Old " leks still have potential for re-use so in which case even more need for less disturbance.
Also lekking sites are technically breeding sites. Disturbance at a lek is certainly as bad if not worse than disturbing the actual "nest" site. This is the vital stage when females are attracted in to copulate. A hen black grouse once on a nest will sit so tight on eggs that you will probably walk over her.

This is why as with Caper any disturbance at the critiacal time can have a massive influence. It is a misconception (quite an apt word!) also that it's only in the early morning. With Caper they will lek, then the alpha male will copulate throughout the day with females which have been drawn in.
Should this bonding be broken by disturbance then it doesn't happen, and it may well be days before she returns. I think that unfortunately, in certain areas of Speyside at least Caper decline has been the sole result of increased visitor activity throughout the day.
This is highlighted by the fact that certainly the best areas for Caper still are areas rarely visited by anyone.
My view is that basically we no longer have tracts of forest remote and undisturbed enough for significant successful breeding to take place.
Mountain bikers, hikers, birders, even scientific researchers have all sadly played their part in the Caper's demise.

JP

Point taken JP.

I know that whenever I am on a Lek the first thing I make sure of is that I am in position well before dawn and before the birds have arrived and then watch them. I stay for as long as possible and if they are still there when I have to move on I make sure that I ease away from the area very slowly.

I suppose that when you explain a Lek site that you assume birders know the code of conduct but I suppose that spelling it out is beneficial just in case some birders are ignorant of the fact.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back