• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds now shunning my feeder? (1 Viewer)

Liri

Hello. I have had a very active bird feeder and birdbath since the beginning of spring this year. About 10 different varieties of birds at both the feeder and the birdbath. All of a sudden I have only one type of bird visiting, the Cardinal. And that is sporadic... almost daily but not quite. I am trying to figure out what happened and why my offerings are being ignored. There are two things that have happened recently and I am not sure if one or both of them are to blame:
1. The seed got waterlogged from a couple torrential downpours that we had and I did not realize the seed near the bottom started rotting. The first day no birds appeared I realized it and emptied the feeder, washed it, and put in new seed.
2. Fall weather has started here. The temps are noticeably cooler.
QUESTION: I am asking for assistance/advice about this sudden change in bird activity. Is it because the seed started rotting or because fall is beginning to arrive?

Suspect it was more the former, the memory of bad seeds may leave the birds disinterested.
However, fall is also a good time for seeds to be ripe, so perhaps your birds are fattening up naturally.
Maybe take down the feeder for a few days and then reintroduce it. to let them get reacquainted.

In any case, do keep the birdbath, they are always welcome. A drip or a mister will be especially welcome, hummers love misters and they are migrating now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back