• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small bird with orange chest and black stripe through the eyes. (1 Viewer)

Eurasian nuthatch (Sitta europaea) is more likely than red breasted, based on location. If op took photo locally.

Sorry, cross posted

Last edited:
Yes, and why not establish the subspecies, caesia, too?

Denmark is such a tiny country, and yet we have a few species which are present in two races.

One of them the Nuthatch where we find the above form west of Storebælt, and the nominate europaea east of said stretch of water.

Where was the picture taken, on Fyn, or in Jylland?

Peter

That's true but if you look at the head pattern it's quite clearly a European, no white stripe above the eye.

I know, but KC has been super gentle on bad calls I made in the past, and was trying to ease it.

AND I have done the opposite whilst in the US, without any reference books with me, and spent ages trying to pin down what was not quite right with the Nuthatch I was watching from the hotel window.

Last edited:
I know, but KC has been super gentle on bad calls I made in the past, and was trying to ease it.

AND I have done the opposite whilst in the US, without any reference books with me, and spent ages trying to pin down what was not quite right with the Nuthatch I was watching from the hotel window.

Thank you :flowers:

I assumed the OP had taken the picture in Denmark.

I was not aware of the two different races in Denmark, so thank you to Peter for educating me :).

Yes, and why not establish the subspecies, caesia, too?

Denmark is such a tiny country, and yet we have a few species which are present in two races.

One of them the Nuthatch where we find the above form west of Storebælt, and the nominate europaea east of said stretch of water.

Where was the picture taken, on Fyn, or in Jylland?

Peter
Also Long-tailed Tit - nominate caudatus in northeast Sjælland and Bornholm, europaeus in the rest :t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back