• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht 80 HD? (1 Viewer)

FrankD

Gentelmen,

I am in need of a little assistance. A local birder is looking to part with the above mentioned scope. I know little about Swarovski's scope history but I believe it is the model that predates the last few current green-armored models.

I have done a little research across the net but have found very little info on this scope. Can anyone provide some background on it and/or what she might expect to get for it on the open market?

It is in mint condition and was barely used.

Thanks.

This model, or the matching straight version?
http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/swarovski_at_80_hd_spotting_scope.htm

It was the equivalent of the Leica Televid Apo 77. When both were tested together, sometimes one "won", sometimes the other. Optically it doesn't give much away to the current green models, apart from the coatings.
The modern eyepieces are better, with wider fields of view and twist-up eyecups rather than fold-down rubber.
The modern eyepieces do fit on the old telescope but they don't lock on (not that this matters much).
It's a good bit heavier than the current green 'scopes.
The angled version is easier to sight than the current angled scopes, as the top of the eyepiece lines up with the notch on the sun shade.

The last ones I've seen on here have been at around £600 to £750 with 20-60x eyepiece. If you search through the For Sale section you'll find some. Look for "AT 80HD", but beware of mis-described ATS 80HD, which is the green model.

Andrew,

Thank you for all of the information. Much appreciated!

Can I ask...what would the 600 to 750 look like in US dollars?

...and, yes, that is the scope.

If the instrument in question is a superlative specimen, it would be a marvelous acquisition. I have a friend who owns one of these. A professional artist, he has one of the most discerning sets of eyes I’ve ever encountered for evaluating a first-rate optical instrument, and he has seen little need to upgrade to the newer ATS or STS series scopes. His scope is configured with the 20-60-zoom eyepiece.

Make sure that the eyepiece(s) supplied with the scope are in equally excellent condition. I’d recommend removing them and examining them thoroughly to ensure there are no chips, cracks, or abrasions on the lens surfaces. Swarovski may be able to supply you with replacement rubber ring assemblies if they are cracked or split.

750 GBP = 1,262 US dollars (as of 11/9/09)

CE

Yep,

Like Ilkka and Chris said, it is an excellent spotting scope. Good samples are just about as sharp as an 80mm scope can be, and since the optical design is not overly complicated, good samples seem to be rather abundand, which is not necessarily the case in most other designs. Light transmission and contrast are not quite as good as in present-day premium scopes, but the image is so good that many of the best birders in Finland still use these and don't seem to be inclined to 'upgrade'. An added plus is being able to utilize the superb Swarovski eyepieces for the newer-generation A/STS A/STM scopes. There is no other second-hand discontinued scope you could have that can take eyepieces such as the new 25-50x wide zoom.

But, always when considering a second-hand scope, do check that it gives a satisfying, sharp image at 60x before committing yourself. Not all scopes leave the factory as equals, and not all scopes survive the hardships of use equally well.

Kimmo

Ilkka,

No I didn't. I will take a peek.

Kimmo,

Thank you for all the wonderful info. It is much appreciated.

Chris,

Thank you for the suggestions. The scope in question has only been used a half dozen times. The birder selling the scope/tripod combo has only used it very sporadically for trips down to Cape May. They are an elderly couple and need to sell some optics to pay off some bills...otherwise they would not be selling them.

I would certainly not mind owning it myself but I am content with what I have for a high-end scope for now. I am hoping to be able to help her sell it either locally or through Ebay.

Thank you all again for the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back