• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crowned Cranes in the DB (1 Viewer)

Steve G

RAINBIRDER
Could the excellent Crowned Crane image lodged as Black Crowned Crane (B. pavonina) in the database not actually be Grey Crowned Crane (B. regulorum)?

The DB bird has a large white cheek with a small scarlet patch at the top typical of Grey C.C. whilst Black C.C has a cheek patch which is white in the top third & pink-red in the lower two-thirds. The neck feathers also look more grey than black.

Anyone any thoughts on this? :h?:

I'm pretty sure you're right. I've changed the photo in the DB, meaning that it now features one of your photos (which clearly show the diagnostic features) instead.

Rasmus Boegh said:
I'm pretty sure you're right. I've changed the photo in the DB, meaning that it now features one of your photos (which clearly show the diagnostic features) instead.
Thanks Rasmus.
I feel a little guilty about this as the original Crowned Crane image is clearly a better picure, albeit of the wrong Crowned Crane.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back