• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three to I.D. (1 Viewer)

Adey,I have had a look,and not knowing a lot,No 1 looks like a snipe type of bird,no 3 is a gull? and no2 could be a skylark type due to the little crest.Now these are not really answers,but I had the misfortune to be the 1st person to visit the thread.I shall now await the experts!!.
Christine.

Adey,
Is no.1 a Snipe..
no.2 a Meadow Pipit...
no.3 a lesser spotted head blown off gull thingy...

None out of three is'nt bad????

Dave.

Almost beaten to the punch......

Last edited:
Look at those toe nails on the M. Pipit. Is that normal?(I've never seen this bird). Looks like the nails on a cage bird that doesn't have anything like sandpaper in his tray to keep them worn.

Hi Dave,

Yes, that's normal for Meadow Pipit - and is one of the field characters for distinguishing it from Tree Pipit (which has a much shorter hind claw)

Michael

christineredgat said:
So for a guess from an amateur ,I was in the right direction.
Indeed you were, Christine. Incidentally, one easy way of telling pipits from larks is that pipits have thin bills and larks have thick ones (well, thicker ones).

Jason

Last edited:
It's easy to skip over a Common Snipe once you've seen the length of it's bill but their heads are almost as stripey as a Jack Snipe and both species are really beautifully marked birds when seen close up.

I thought the Mipit shot showed really well the long hind claw of this ground-loving species. This was one of 18 feeding on a flooded field which were occasionally resting on the wires to preen although the wind was ruffling up this ones feathers straight away.

You can't have a mystery bird competition without a gull so I suppose a headless one is as good as any! This Great Black Back was in the same flooded field as the Mipit, although a few days earlier.

Well done, everyone and thanks for having a go.

Adey

Yes, Jane - they'll be harder next time, as well!

I'm getting too good at this digiscoping lark - I'll have to go back to my old SLR days and sort out some out-of-focus, camera-shaking tiny little blobs. I used to be an expert at them!

Adey Baker said:
It's easy to skip over a Common Snipe once you've seen the length of it's bill but their heads are almost as stripey as a Jack Snipe and both species are really beautifully marked birds when seen close up.

I thought the Mipit shot showed really well the long hind claw of this ground-loving species. This was one of 18 feeding on a flooded field which were occasionally resting on the wires to preen although the wind was ruffling up this ones feathers straight away.

You can't have a mystery bird competition without a gull so I suppose a headless one is as good as any! This Great Black Back was in the same flooded field as the Mipit, although a few days earlier.

Well done, everyone and thanks for having a go.

Adey
Adey,did you see the snipe on the Bill Oddie prog this evening,a perfect shot of the bird.
Christine.

Hi Adey,
I always seem to arrive when these things have already been solved!Would have gotten these three correct: the gull took a small bit of study,but it didn't really match anything else.
The Meadow Pipit was the easiest of the three.
Harry H

Embarrassed to say that I fell asleep during Bill's programme - unforgivable of me!

Here's the Gull in all it's glory - i.e. with a head!

Attachments

• gbbg.jpg
    gbbg.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 135
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back