• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

50D raw image help (1 Viewer)

James Lidster

Hi All
well i have finally attempted to take some photos with the 50D and in the past i always used Zoombrowser to convert the raw images to jpeg so i could upload them to my blog, etc. Apparently zoombrowser can't do this with 50D images, and if i use the other Canon software i only seem to be able to do 1 image at a time, is that right?
I do have Adobe lightroom but that is older than the camera and also wont open the images, is there an update i can download? Sorry for being such a camera duffer!
Thanks for any help
James

Hi All
well i have finally attempted to take some photos with the 50D and in the past i always used Zoombrowser to convert the raw images to jpeg so i could upload them to my blog, etc. Apparently zoombrowser can't do this with 50D images, and if i use the other Canon software i only seem to be able to do 1 image at a time, is that right?
I do have Adobe lightroom but that is older than the camera and also wont open the images, is there an update i can download? Sorry for being such a camera duffer!
Thanks for any help
James

If you have Lightroom 2 the current version is 2.4. This definitely supports 50D images. I am on Mac but if you select Help and then Search for updates you will get the latest version. Sure Windows is similar.

Phil

have you tried loading the new version of Zoombrowser, it should have come with your camera and should support 50D RAW files.

DPP will allow you to edit multiple images at once. Just select several in the main folder view and then press CTL-T to open the tool palette. Any change you make will be applied to all selected images at the same time.

If you want to edit many images, but tweak them individually, select them as before and then hit CTL-RIGHT_ARROW to take you into the editing window. You can copy a recipe from one image and post it to others.

If you have Lightroom 1.x then I think you are out of luck with processing 50D files directly. If you have LR2.x then you certainly may as well make sure you are running the latest version. Upgrades within a main release are free - e.g. 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3 etc.. Updates from 1.x to 2.x are not, but you can pay for an upgrade.

What I believe you can do is to use Adobe's free DNG converter to convert the 50D raw files to DNG format. Then you can process the resulting .DNG files in LR 1.x or 2.x.

Support to EDIT raw files within Zoombrowser (Raw Image Task or RIT) was withdrawn last year, I think when the 50D was released. It should be able to view the raw files but any editing within the Canon software environment requires DPP from the 50D (maybe the G10?) onwards.

Last edited:
Hi All
many thanks for your help. So i have tried using DPP to do many photos at once, and that works well. I also used the 'batch process' function. As tdodd says i can view 50D images in zoombrowser but no edit them. As for lightroom, well maybe i will have to fork out for an upgrade, slightly annoying when it cost me £200 to buy it in the first place.
Thanks again
James

While you can't edit RAW files you can convert 50D RAW files into a tif files and then edit them and then convert to Jpeg in Zoombrowser

Gwynn

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back