• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange robin behaviour (1 Viewer)

amelia1730

I have just witnessed something I've not seen before with two robins in the garden. I assume they are a pair and it is a mating behaviour but wondered if it might be some kind of weird posturing between two males.

One of the birds was doing a very, very, slow motion, side to side head movement, with the head down low and forward, eyes fixed on the other bird. Reminded me a bit of a snake in front of a snake charmer, but much slower. Gave me the creeps! A chase ensued for a few minutes and they were gone....

Any ideas anyone?

Given that you witnessed a display (of sorts) followed by a chase, my vote is for courtship behavior. The male may have been trying to attract the female's attention, and when she lost interest he pursued her.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back