• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help for Id, in Thailand #1 (1 Viewer)

Tapi45

Free as a bird
1 Doi Inthanon NP, Chian Mai
2 Blak House, Chiang Rai
3 Elephant valley, Chiang Rai. He was dying
4 and 5 , Sri Nakhon Khuean Kan Park, Bangkok

5 ident doi intha aaaaaa - copia.JPG

7 ident aaaa - copia.JPG

11 ident - copia.JPG

37 ident ko kao noi  aaaaa - copia.JPG

41 identif sri nak - copia.JPG

1. Red-breasted or Taiga Flycatcher - it's rather warmly-coloured but that may just be the light. If you have any other angles, that would be helpful.
2. Chestnut-tailed Starling.
3. A juvenile Greater Coucal, I think. Poor creature.
4. A Sunbird - probably Olive-backed, as it looks rather long-billed.
5. Malaysian Pied Fantail (with its tail closed).

Yes, just had a longer look, and it's definitely too long-billed for a Sunbird. The grey face and cheek stripe are visible too. I think I got confused as there were so many images this morning and somehow got it into my head the photo was taken in Bangkok.

and somehow got it into my head the photo was taken in Bangkok.

Hi Andy,

Sri Nakhon Khuean Khan Park is more-or-less in Bangkok (in the adjacent Samut Prakan province), and I don't think Little Spiderhunter has been recorded in either province.

I must've been to that park close to 50 times across the last two+ years, and Olive-backed Sunbird is by far the most numerous, though Brown-(Plain) throated is also quite abundant. I think the angle of the photo is making the bill-to-body ratio look odd.

Ben.

It's not on the checklist but species do expand their range. I don't know how far way the nearest Little Spiderhunter population is.

http://www.thaibirding.com/checklists/sri-nakorn-kuen-khan-checklist.htm

I've just had a long careful look at the image blown up and adjusted for exposure and contrast. The bill isn't as long as it appears - either there's something behind it, it's sticking its tongue out or it's caught something in its bill. I'm still seeing grey around the eye and on the nape and I'm sure I can see a moustachial or cheek stripe. I'm certainly not seeing the usual face markings of female Olive-backed (super, flared eyestripe, etc.). It is a difficult image though, strongly backlit.

It's not on the checklist but species do expand their range. I don't know how far way the nearest Little Spiderhunter population is.

Just had a quick look on ebird at the closest places Little Spiderhunter are regularly recorded are Khao Yai and Kaeng Krachan i.e. nothing within 100km....

Thank you very much Andy. I am sorry but I do not have another photo

No worries - as I've been informed that there's only 1 record of Red-breasted Flycatcher in Thailand, I think we can safely assume it's a Taiga.

Last edited:
Andy reviewing the photos again I see that made a mistake where I took it. Sorry for the mistake. I will send again to the forum 3 new photos

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back