• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id Help - Nimbokrang, West Papua - 21 (1 Viewer)

mihir

India
Request Id help for these birds photographed in Nimbokrang, West Papua, Indonesia in July 2023

1)
2)
3) Blue-tailed Bee-eater?
4)
5) Rainbow Bee-eater?

Attachments

• _PAP2937 copy.jpg
    _PAP2937 copy.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 57
  • _PAP2951 copy.jpg
    _PAP2951 copy.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 56
  • _PAP3122 copy.jpg
    _PAP3122 copy.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 36
  • _PAP3162 copy.jpg
    _PAP3162 copy.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 36
  • _PAP3205 copy.jpg
    _PAP3205 copy.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 58
Request Id help for these birds photographed in Nimbokrang, West Papua, Indonesia in July 2023

1)
2)
3) Blue-tailed Bee-eater?
4)
5) Rainbow Bee-eater?
1) is New Guinea Grey-headed Goshawk. 2) and 4) are immature Long-billed Honeyeaters. 3) looks more like Rainbow Bee-eater than Blue-tailed. 5) looks good for Rainbow.

1 Looks rather like a falcon, seems to have a moustachial pattern
2 Long-billed Honeyeater
3 Rainbow Bee-eater
4 Long-billed Honeyeater
5 Rainbow Bee-eater

Variable Goshawk in New Guinea, if not white or all sooty grey, should be rufous below. The photo gives me the impression that the bird may be pale grey below.
It looks fine for the one with rufous to me, but the amount of the front we can see leaves it a bit ambiguous. I don't see Grey-headed here (doesn't look gray enough on head, and with "bare parts can be misleading" they should be reddish on GH while this yellowish matches well with Variable)

It looks fine for the one with rufous to me, but the amount of the front we can see leaves it a bit ambiguous. I don't see Grey-headed here (doesn't look gray enough on head, and with "bare parts can be misleading" they should be reddish on GH while this yellowish matches well with Variable)
Comparing the photos in Cornell/Birds of the World, I agree that Variable Goshawk is more likely than Grey-headed, given the yellow bare parts and the head not being a paler grey than the wings. It's a pity we don't have more than a hint in the photo of what colour the breast is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back