• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identify small hawk (1 Viewer)

Moondragon

Hi I am new to birding and am trying to identify a small hawk. It has a bluish grey face with some tan.Short body. I am pagan and this bird is one of my spirit guides. Please don't judge me I am just looking for help to put a name to this beautiful bird. o:)

Hmmm... I would think that a spirit guide would be seen in a vision, or perhaps in nature during a mystical experience, but with binoculars or camera not available in either case. Might be a little tough for us to help you, but my nonjudgmental advice would be to go to the site below, and click on the photos in the falcons and accipiters section, seeing if anything looks familiar:

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/identification.html

There is also a guide lower on the page to species based on certain characteristics.

Or, you could just ask your guide? ;)

Don't be afraid to ask

Moondragon said:
Hi I am new to birding and am trying to identify a small hawk. It has a bluish grey face with some tan.Short body. I am pagan and this bird is one of my spirit guides. Please don't judge me I am just looking for help to put a name to this beautiful bird. o:)
Hi never be afraid to ask thats how we learn. You have not said where in America you live. AS a beginner it is worth getting a good bird guide e.g. Collins or Sibly guide to the Birds of North America. Try kestral, hook billed kite or roadside hawk. The first seems most likely, was it hovering? Hawkwind1960

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back