• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Well it broke after 2 months... (1 Viewer)

zuiko

Hi all,

I knew about this problem from others experience, just didn't realise it would happen so quickly.

My 10x42 Ultravid's objective caps' retention strap broke today. It was the old style cap that is self retaining. A little too clever for its own good.

I was mildly annoyed by the two ugly marks it's made in the main rubber of the binoculars, where it has folding stress for the retaining function.

I've cut off the retaining straps and am now using them as separate caps.

I understand there is a newer style cap with Zeiss style retaining system. I'm hoping Leica will supply me a set of these gratis because the one's supplied are obviously flawed.

Anyone in Australia had this problem and can put me onto who to approach or contact?

Many thanks.

zuiko said:
Hi all,

I knew about this problem from others experience, just didn't realise it would happen so quickly.

My 10x42 Ultravid's objective caps' retention strap broke today. It was the old style cap that is self retaining. A little too clever for its own good.

I was mildly annoyed by the two ugly marks it's made in the main rubber of the binoculars, where it has folding stress for the retaining function.

I've cut off the retaining straps and am now using them as separate caps.

I understand there is a newer style cap with Zeiss style retaining system. I'm hoping Leica will supply me a set of these gratis because the one's supplied are obviously flawed.

Anyone in Australia had this problem and can put me onto who to approach or contact?

Many thanks.

The same thing happened to me and it was a blessing in disguise. I get better balance without them and a lot less hassle in the field, especially in rainy weather. I have lightweight EO tethered covers on my SE 8X32 and they never interfere with my viewing. The Leica caps, however, were too heavy to begin with and the Ultravid 7X42 is about 6 ounces heavier than my SE.

In the field, I rarely see people using high quality bins with tethered objective covers. My objectives have never suffered without them.

As I said, when they broke, it was a blessing in disguise!

John

Last edited:
John Traynor said:
The same thing happened to me and it was a blessing in disguise. I get better balance without them and a lot less hassle in the field, especially in rainy weather. I have lightweight EO tethered covers on my SE 8X32 and they never interfere with my viewing. The Leica caps, however, were too heavy to begin with and the Ultravid 7X42 is about 6 ounces heavier than my SE.

In the field, I rarely see people using high quality bins with tethered objective covers. My objectives have never suffered without them.

As I said, when they broke, it was a blessing in disguise!

John

Where did you get your tethered objective caps? Can you get them for a Nikon Monarch 8x42. Do you just tell them what kind and size of bonocular you have?

Dennis

Where did you get your tethered objective caps? Can you get them for a Nikon Monarch 8x42. Do you just tell them what kind and size of bonocular you have?

Dennis
Dennis,

Call Eagle Optics. They have their own brand and I imagine one will fit the Monarch.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/search.asp?q=tethered&pid=3186

I don't know what Nikon strap came with your Monarch but I replaced ALL our Nikon straps with the Eagle Optics brand.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back