• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid 8x20 dissection (The beauty) (2 Viewers)

dorubird

The unskilled mechanic blames his tools!
Romania
I found Ultravid 8x20 BR at a good price and I couldn't resist. I tested it for a while and now I will share my Ultravid impressions and images with you. (I will make soon a detailed comparison between Ultravid 8x20 and Trinovid 8x20)
Ultravid introducere.JPG

Mechanical presentation

Ultravid eyepieces covers fit perfectly, having loop for the strap it is very useful not to lose them!
Ultravid covers.JPG

Ultravid eyepiece cups have two positions: folded and extended! The rubber is soft. The outer diameter is 30mm
Ultravid eyepiece cups.JPG

Ultravid Focus system. It has an exact and pleasant rotation, without lost motion. For pocket binoculars, the wheel is very convenient, being easy to access.
Ultravid Focus system.JPG

Ultravid diopter adjustment is done without taking off binoculars from the eyes, so very convenient and efficient. This is due to the small button that disengages the focus. Has a margin of +-3.5 diopters
Ultravid diopter adjustment.JPG

Ultravid Housing finish is carefully crafted with quality rubber armor, pleasant to the touch. It is a beauty!!
Ultravid Housing.JPG
Ultravid Housing2.JPG
Ultravid Housing3.JPG

Ultravid interior finish is impeccably matte blackened and vibrated with grooves
Ultravid interior finish.JPG

Ultravid hinge is double with a very good resistance
Ultravid hinge.JPG

Ultravid resistance
in water is 0.5 bar (up to approx. 5m depth). The material of the case is aluminum (bino weight with straps and caps aprox. 255g.). Operating temperature-25 degrees C. +55 Cdeg
Ultravid resistance.JPG

Ultravid ergonomics are impressive for such small binoculars. It is comfortable due to the larger and easy to access focus wheel.
Ultravid ergonomics.JPG

Optical presentation

Ultravid outer lenses are covered with High Durable Coating and hydrophobic AquaDura for very easy maintenance and resistance against fogging. I am extremely satisfied with this aspect, because a pocket binocular, during travels, has many unexpected situations.
Ultravid eyepieces have a tobacco-colored anti-reflective coating with a very high efficiency. From some angles you practically have the impression that the lens disappears. The diameter of the lenses is 16.5mm.
Ultravid eyepieces.JPG

Ultravid 20mm objective lenses have an olive colored coating with small purple hues. The roof prisms are covered with an blue/green coating, High Lux System and phase correction coating P40
Ultravid objective.JPG

Ultravid resolution is very high. A very sharp pair of binoculars! The clarity extends to about 90% of the FOV. Only the last 10% decrease a bit in resolution, but not annoyingly
Ultravid resolution.JPG

Ultravid light transmission. I am amazed that in some tests (https://www.houseofoutdoor.com/) it has very high light transmission, higher than we are used with a Leica bino.
Ultravid contrast is very high. Ultravid 8x20 belongs to the category of binoculars with strong contrast with very deep black.
Ultravid glare resistance. With the light source near the FOV, or in the background, this small binoculars have no problems. This is due the very well blackened tubes inside, but also due the well-chosen coating and optical diaphragms in front of the prisms.
Ultravid colors saturation are vivid and strong. Especially in a sunset light, the colors take a special saturation beauty!!
Ultravid contrast.JPG

Ultravid Chromatic aberrations are minimal and only on the edges. For me it does not present any kind of problem.
Ultravid eye relief is 15mm from specification, but I think it is maybe a little higher because it is very comfortable with my glasses, having easy access to the entire AFOV.
Ultravid field of view is 6.5 with an AFOV of 52 deg. It's not a large AFOV but it's very similar to competition in this pocket class (Swarovski's Curio 7x21 has a little smaller AFOV- 51 deg.)
The binoculars can focus extremely close (1.75m measured by me). Very useful in nature
Ultravid CA.JPG

Conclusions
Leica Ultravid 8x20 is a very small binocular that hides inside an extremely high performance optic. It has a special sparkle to the image! The mechanics are also impeccable, everything moves firmly and precisely. It gives me the impression that we are dealing with the highest possible quality concentrated per square centimeter!
Ultravid conclusion.JPG

Last edited:
Hello,
Thank you for the presentation of "such a wonderful creature .."
As for the size?... just as small as his brother Trinovid 8x20?
And if you allow me one last question: in your opinion, given the price difference between the two models... would the Ultravid be worth it?
Regards, and thank you very much.
Gpoli.
PS: Some beautiful

Granpoli,
I am preparing a detailed comparison between Trino and Ultra, but to make a summary I would say that Ultravid has a higher contrast image and is sharp almost to the edges compared to Trinovid which blurs more at the edges. But Trinovid compensates for the fact that it is even smaller in all directions (thickness, width and length), and it seems to me that the design is even more beautiful than Ultravid.
So, if you don't use such binoculars often, the Trinovid is the better choice. But if you often use such pocket binoculars, then it is well worth the investment in Ultravid, especially if you find it at a good price.

...and I'm willing to bet the focus knob won't fall off...

Nice review!
Yes, this little gem has high build quality!
Thx!
Dorubird, how do you manage to attach so many high quality pics to one post without reaching the size limitation?
I reduce the resolution of each picture until I don't have more than 4500 px (length or width) !

Last edited:
Ultravid Focus system. It has an exact and pleasant rotation, without lost motion. For pocket binoculars, the wheel is very convenient, being easy to access.
Ultravid diopter adjustment is done without taking off binoculars from the eyes, so very convenient and efficient. This is due to the small button that disengages the focus. Has a margin of +-3.5 diopters
Ultravid resistance in water is 0.5 bar (up to approx. 5m depth).
Ultravid ergonomics are impressive for such small binoculars. It is comfortable due to the larger and easy to access focus wheel.
Optical presentation
Ultravid outer lenses are covered with High Durable Coating and hydrophobic AquaDura for very easy maintenance and resistance against fogging. I am extremely satisfied with this aspect, because a pocket binocular, during travels, has many unexpected situations.
Ultravid eyepieces have a tobacco-colored anti-reflective coating with a very high efficiency. From some angles you practically have the impression that the lens disappears.
Ultravid resolution is very high. A very sharp pair of binoculars! The clarity extends to about 90% of the FOV. Only the last 10% decrease a bit in resolution, but not annoyingly
Ultravid light transmission. I am amazed that in some tests (https://www.houseofoutdoor.com/) it has very high light transmission, higher than we are used with a Leica bino.
Ultravid contrast is very high. Ultravid 8x20 belongs to the category of binoculars with strong contrast with very deep black.
Ultravid glare resistance. With the light source near the FOV, or in the background, this small binoculars have no problems. This is due the very well blackened tubes inside, but also due the well-chosen coating and optical diaphragms in front of the prisms.
Ultravid colors saturation are vivid and strong. Especially in a sunset light, the colors take a special saturation beauty!!
Ultravid Chromatic aberrations are minimal and only on the edges. For me it does not present any kind of problem.
Ultravid eye relief is 15mm from specification, but I think it is maybe a little higher because it is very comfortable with my glasses, having easy access to the entire AFOV.
Ultravid field of view is 6.5 with an AFOV of 52 deg. It's not a large AFOV but it's very similar to competition in this pocket class (Swarovski's Curio 7x21 has a little smaller AFOV- 51 deg.)
The binoculars can focus extremely close (1.75m measured by me). Very useful in nature

Conclusions
Leica Ultravid 8x20 is a very small binocular that hides inside an extremely high performance optic. It has a special sparkle to the image! The mechanics are also impeccable, everything moves firmly and precisely. It gives me the impression that we are dealing with the highest possible quality concentrated per square centimeter!
What an excellent summation for what is the only binocular that I've purchased multiples of. The two pairs I gifted were both exclaimed to be far brighter, sharper and saturated with color than either one of the recipients thought possible with such a tiny binocular.

I still have three of them and noticed that the ones with the non-protruding "Ultravid" on the front are of the latest batches only and also the Leica logo is a much brighter red than the older ones as well. Having only one of the newest batch, I can find no difference in image quality to the previous iterations and actually prefer the more muted red on the older logo, but do appreciate knowing that I've still got one of the newest batches.

Great find and thanks for taking so much time to present my personal and overall favorite binocular, bar none.

5332339C-FD94-4BCC-9567-2F63C2BBDE69.jpeg1B402B92-9D76-40CE-92C7-F2F9C0F52019.jpeg
38CF2E08-C96C-446D-A4FD-5D82FD8521C1.jpeg

Last edited:

I owned this one some 15 years ago for some months, and was happy to move on after some months using them. At that time, unfortunately, they weren't any better compact roof prism bins on the market. You had the 8x20 Victory from Zeiss but the focus wheel was too small and it wasn't better in any aspect except maybe the ergonomics which worked better for me (so something personal). The Swaro 8x20 from that time was poorer than the Leica in most aspects, so the Leica it was (for some time).

While I agree with a lot of your review, I don't share your enthusiasm about some aspects of this binocular that I consider deal breakers.

Reasons I sold it:
  • The focus is slow.
  • The double hinge is very impractical (slow) to adjust into the correct IPD. The ergonomics didn't work well for me due to the double hinge (just like the Swarovski), and the slow focus wheel that had just a bit too much internal friction, so the hinge would move, especially when frantically trying to focus from near to far (butterfly to bird).
  • While the light transmission is OK, it's still a x20 and noticeable dark in winter / morning / evening, but that's not specific for the Leica, more in general a x20 thing.
  • The eye relief was not enough for me (as a glass wearer). It's just not comfortable but at that time, they simply weren't alternatives.
  • The field of view (113m at 1000m) is not very satisfactory. Same as with the Curio, but another reason why the Curio isn't on the radar as well.
  • The close focus is OK, but not enough for when you're e.g. watching insects at your feet (e.g. grasshoppers), 1.5m is needed.
All of the above was finally solved the moment the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket was out, some years ago: fast and fluid focus, single hinge, x25 with excellent transmission, great eye relief, 130m FOV and 1.5m focus. My only gripe is the diopter setting knob, which is way to sensitive to inadvertently turning while e.g. in a backpack or pocket.

Thank you dorubird!!
I am leaning to this binocular in my search for a truly pocket one...No mater the Zeiss 8x25 VP some optic advantages, I am looking for a really small top quality pocket binocular significantly smaller than my Meopta Meostar 8x32. Will see....

Ultravid field of view is 6.5 with an AFOV of 52 deg. It's not a large AFOV but it's very similar to competition in this pocket class (Swarovski's
Ultravid snob appeal is unparalleled, particularly on cruise ships. :D

Ultravid 8x20 BR is my favorite to carry when walking with my wife. When hiking together, my wife does not like to come to complete stops for birding moments. She does not share the birding hobby as deeply but does share the joy of hiking. On my own, I will take Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 or Swarovski NL Pure 10x42 for observing with extended stops. However, the VP 8x25 comes out of my pocket and onto a bird only easily by stopping walking and 6-9 seconds to pull from pocket and get on a bird. The Ultravid 8x20 can come out of my pocket while walking (or stopped) and be on a bird in 3 seconds. The shape of the UV 8x20 just goes in and comes out of the pocket quicker than the VP 8x25. And on long hikes I like the bino in the pocket or on a harness, not a bouncy neckstrap. The Ultravid 8x20 allows easy bird viewing joys without hindering the hiking pace.

Also, where I live in Southern California we have mostly very sunny days where my eye pupils are 2 mm diameter or less. In the daytime there is little observed light difference between the Ultravid 8x20 and the VP 8x25. The extra light gathered in the 8x25 is offset by losing a larger fraction of the gathered light outside my eye pupil. To see a difference I have to stand for a while in a shaded area before viewing so my pupils dilate to where the larger 8x25 objective contributes more light through my pupil.

I have both the Trinovid 8x20 and the VP 8x25. Both do something the UV cannot, they correct for my myopic eyes so I can view without glasses. I prefer the Trinovid, which I always carry with me, nice color, relaxed view, and tiny. The VP is in a different class, incredibly sharp, more competitive optically with a x30, much larger and a bit tiring to use.

I am leaning to this binocular in my search for a truly pocket one...No mater the Zeiss 8x25 VP some optic advantages, I am looking for a really small top quality pocket binocular significantly smaller than my Meopta Meostar 8x32. Will see....
Have a look at the Swarovski CL Curio 7x21 and the Kowa Genesis 8x22.

Thank you all for the appreciations! (y)
Small with maximum constructive robustness, beautiful design and superb image. This is the Ultravid 8x20! The small exit pupil are only compromise of these binoculars, but this compromise are specific to all pocket binoculars. This is a compromise you have to make when you really want a pocket binoculars. I really like these little jewels because they are a sum of impeccable mechanical quality and top-notch optical refinement. Ultravid 8x20 has passed the test of time for constructive resistance and has perhaps the clearest image with a vibrant color, seconded by amazing contrast!!!
It is a small machine that produces colors and clarity!
ultravid 8x20.JPG

Last edited:
Hi fazalmajid,

I am intrigued by all these KOWA GENESIS binoculars. Never have had one in my hands...Thank you!

PHA

And now.. I'm Looking for a really, true pocket binocular.. The CL 8x25 for me is not a really "true" Pocket, for example.
I agree which is why I bought a Curio after testing most of the pocket, and not so pocket, binoculars side by side. All were 'good to superb' but for me the Curio was the nicest to hold, fold away and optically its eye relief was perfect for me.

Were I in the market for a 'just a bit bigger' pair, the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 would have been top dog. It is everything everyone says it is and more....a truly special binocular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back