• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi from Iowa (1 Viewer)

mikelandwehr

Hi Everyone,

I'm a resident of Iowa, but spend time in Florida every winter. Bird photography is one of my hobbies. Last winter I just got started photographing shore birds before we headed back north. I'm still a neophyte at identifying shore birds. Can anyone help me identify this one? The photo was taken last March near the fishing pier on Sanibel Island. My first guess is that it is a Red Knot, but its bill and legs look longer than those in other Red Knot photos I've found.

Thanks for any help,

Mike Landwehr

Attachments

• CRW_6725 pp web smaller.jpg
    CRW_6725 pp web smaller.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 107
Welcome to BF Mike!
My ID'ing has been atrocious lately, but I'm sure someone will tell you exactly what that bird is! Nice shot!

Hi Mike,
On behalf of the staff, welcome to the Birdforum. I'm not the best either on shorebirds, wouldn't know a Willet from a ... oh wait, is it a Willet? Good photo by the way.

Anyway, if you don't get a positive ID here soon, you might want to post it on the Bird Identification and Taxonomy subforum where the ID experts hang out.

Hope you enjoy the site.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the official welcome, AND for the bird ID. I think you are right about the bird being a willet. The ID book I was looking at had a poor photo of a willet, and I overlooked it. Looking at other Willet photos on the internet, the bird I was trying to ID seems to match. Thanks for your help!

Mike

Dave B Smith said:
Hi Mike,
On behalf of the staff, welcome to the Birdforum. I'm not the best either on shorebirds, wouldn't know a Willet from a ... oh wait, is it a Willet? Good photo by the way.

Anyway, if you don't get a positive ID here soon, you might want to post it on the Bird Identification and Taxonomy subforum where the ID experts hang out.

Hope you enjoy the site.

I love Iowa

Hi Mike. Welcome to BirdForum.
I´ve been to Iowa. Belive, for a Panamenian, Iowa was a very intense experience in November. The wind, cold the birds, evreything.
Have fun in the forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back