• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tongan Whistler, Vava'u (1 Viewer)

rmacfarl

G'day, I just joined, and I wondered if anyone has any experience / tips on places to see the Tongan Whistler, on the island of Vava’u?

I have unexpectedly been asked to conduct a flying visit to Tonga next week, including Vava’u, but I will only be on the island for 1-2 days at most & will be working, so it needs to be a fairly accessible spot.

Thanks.

If it's not too late...
It's not so difficult to see this species. You don't have to necessarily go to a small protected area on the main island (Mt. Talau). That's what I did and there I heard several species and caught a glimpse of 2 just during a brief visit.
Even more convenient for you is to search for a bird within the main town of Neiafu itself. My best advice is learn its very distinct call and then search along patches/groups of trees around town or just walk from the town towards Mt. Talau and listen for them and you should find one soon. What I discovered was that it doesn't really need many tress just a group of few is enough for a bird to be there. another advantage of the town is that people passing by on roads have already tamed birds. Hopefully you will be as lucky as I was :))

Hope it helps!
Petr

ps. let me know how successful you were, I'm curious:)

For the record, I successfully located the bird on Wednesday 30 May, at Mt Talau on Tonga’s second island, Vava’u, mainly thanks to this:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Pachycephala-jacquinoti

... because not only did it let me identify spots to find it, but allowed me to cheat and call it up using a download of its own call on my smartphone. (I know, I know, so shoot me. I had 1 hour left on a tropical island – what would you have done?)

I found it 100m into the trees above the Mt Talau radio tower, after a very obliging taxi driver drove up a track no self-respecting goat would claim, and thanks to my internet cheat I found it within 2 minutes of leaving my somewhat bewildered fellow travellers (2 Fijians and a Tongan, who just accepted it as Western eccentricity,) below the human-induced tree line.

The Tongan whistler has in the past been lumped with the golden whistler, & there is a similar species in Fiji, but unlike the Australian & Fijian golden whistlers, the Tongan whistler has no white bib & just has a full black hangman’s hood. For the record, it was a cracker – a little golden jewel who regarded me and my recorded message with what I can best describe as a disdainful eye.

(This Tongan stamp was the only image I could find of the Tongan whistler on line: http://www.bird-stamps.org/images/stamps/tonga/1427.jpg)

And then I got to fly back to Nuku’alofa on a 1945 Douglas DC3. A top day was had by me, at least.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back