• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leicestershire and Rutland Birding/Local Patches (1 Viewer)

A Pied Flycatcher on Croft Hill today (still present at 1:40pm) on the west side of the hill

Attachments

• pied-flycatcher-sep-27-2008-1.jpg
    pied-flycatcher-sep-27-2008-1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 273
The 'possible or hybrid' Ferruginous Duck at Sence Valley Forest park is reported on Birdguides as being a male, showing well on Stonebridge Pool at 5:30 this afternoon

The winds that have blown in goodies to other areas seem to have blown our birds away ;)

Anyone 'sitting' on a good county bird they'd like to share??

Ah. We sometimes pick up your left-overs so thought I'd ask. Could do with Red-necked Grebe for the year. Wonder where it is...

Wonder where it is...

The winds were pretty strong yesterday, firstly from the south but eventually going round to the west, so it could be anywhere...

I've got a few days off on holiday and with bright sun today it would have been nice to get photos of something 'newsworthy' to go into this thread but there doesn't seem to be anything to go for within striking distance - we're definitely lagging behind the Warks/West Midland thread (and I see there's a Common Scoter at Draycote to replace the Grey Phal ;))

Yeh, it's Rutland/Eye Brook birds basically. At least you have those, we have no really decent sized water bodies here around Peterborough.

Also struggling here. The joys of inland birding!

The Red-necked Grebe has been reported again at Swithland Resr today (off the dam) - perhaps it's been on its holiday somewhere and has returned home;)

Nothing too exciting (again) reported today (Saturday)

This less than approachable Wheatear was on Huncote Embankment and whilst it's getting a bit late-ish for this species, it's nowhere near the latest county record - November 27th 1971 (Outwoods)

Attachments

• _MG_3539.jpg
    _MG_3539.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 77
Groby Pool

Hi there

Heard today (from a work colleague) about a big fish die off at Groby Pool, is this true? What's the story & is it having any affect on the birdlife at all?

I'm a Leicestershire native (Anstey) but living in Notts (boo!) so don't really get hear too much about local Leicestershire stories. (I believe there was something about this on the local TV news, but i don't own a TV so have not seen anything).

Cheers

Mike

Hi there

Heard today (from a work colleague) about a big fish die off at Groby Pool, is this true? What's the story & is it having any affect on the birdlife at all?

I'm a Leicestershire native (Anstey) but living in Notts (boo!) so don't really get hear too much about local Leicestershire stories. (I believe there was something about this on the local TV news, but i don't own a TV so have not seen anything).

Cheers

Mike

There was certainly an item on 'East Midlands Today' last night - they weren't sure what the problem was at the time, but a lot of dead fish were seen and there was a noticeable smell. A birder (un-named) was one of the locals that they interviewed.

Whatever, the Black-necked Grebe was still reported there yesterday according to the LROS laest news page. However, many of the usual birds were not there according to the TV prog (it was unusually quiet in the background without the noise of the regular B H Gulls)

Good vismig today.....

Deans Lane: 1600 Redwings and 520 Fieldfares in four hours (me)
Ellistown: 571 Redwings in 45 minutes (C.Playfair)
Burrough Hill: Lapland Bunting (J.Hague and D.Gray)

and the RNGrebe has resurfaced at Swithland Res.

Steve

The pool stinks today. But BNGrebe still there.

Steve

Yes, Carl and I called in briefly to see the (distant) B N Grebe today and the smell (like raw sewage) was very strong, especially by the outflow. A Black-headed Gull was risking the polution for a meal of dead fish!

We noticed quite a few Fieldfares over Bradgate Park. Quite a few Siskins there as well and a camera-shy Stonechat

Attachments

• b-h-gull-oct-18-2008-1.jpg
    b-h-gull-oct-18-2008-1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 77
  • _MG_3650.jpg
    _MG_3650.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 84
A drake Ferruginous Duck reported today on the west side of Thornton Reservoir, past the boathouse, and a Green Sandpiper at Thurlaston Lane Sand Pit.

The Ferruginous is the same bird as at Sence Valley on September 27/28 so where has it been for the last 26 days ??

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back