• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (2 Viewers)

Rudyard, Heron's Marsh, Sat 24/03/07

On a lovely Spring afternoon Tina & I set off for a good walk around the
fileds and feeders.
Birds seen :
Common Buzzard
Kestrel
Goldcrest
Treecreeper
Nuthatch x 2
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Snipe x 2
Teal x 1 male
Chiffchaff x 1 singing
Long tailed & other common tits
Gold, Green & Chaffinch
Robin
Walk spoiled by a blasted Magpie in a tree and young fox dead on the ground.
(land owner has a small duck hide ) :hi:

Rudyard Heron's Marsh Photos - Staffs Moorlands

Rudyard Feeder And Heron's Marsh Photos - Staffs Moorlands

Attachments

• a Rudyard Feeder looking towrds the village.jpg
    a Rudyard Feeder looking towrds the village.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 191
  • a Rudyard Heron's Marsh looking West  340307.jpg
    a Rudyard Heron's Marsh looking West 340307.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 189
Biddulph Park And Moor Sat 31 March 2007 , Am

Common Buzzard x 2
Mistle Thrush
Skylark x 3
Curlew x 1 + more heard
Lapwing x 5
Redwing & Fieldfare - mixed flock 100 +
Nuthatch x 2

:eat:

01/04/07 Hollinsclough/ The Roaches

Sunny all day with a strong cold wind blowing from the East.
Walked around the Hollinsclough/Chrome Hill area taking in The Roaches
on the way back.
Birds not exactly in profusion to day.
Plenty of Meadow Pipits about, saw two pairs of Wheatear at
Hollinsclough, near stoops farm and on the west side of the Roaches.
Kestrel at the Roaches also and that was about it, lovely day for a walk though.
Mick & Tina
Dedicated to the nice young couple from Rochdale. ;)

Attachments

• a Chrome Hill from Stoop Farm 010407.jpg
    a Chrome Hill from Stoop Farm 010407.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 171
  • A Hollinsclogh Village 010407.jpg
    A Hollinsclogh Village 010407.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 170
  • a2 Wheatear Stoop Farm  Hollinsclough 010407.jpg
    a2 Wheatear Stoop Farm Hollinsclough 010407.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 191
Wheatear woes

Hi Mick and Tina,

Thanks for the mention and I knew you'd nail the Wheatear (nice photo)! We obviously had our noses in the map too much! We are off work this week so we will look in earnest for our local Wheatears here in the South Pennines.

I first walked the 'Dragon's Back' from Hollinsclough in April 2003 and it was great to visit again. Nice meeting you both anyway and from now on I shall keep an eye on your sightings.

Regards, Chris and Cathy (Milnrow, Rochdale).

Hollinsclough

Nice to hear from you.
Next posting is likley to be about Norfolk next week.
Have a good holiday.
Mick

Hi everyone in Staffs.
I can't imagine how I have missed this thread you have started Dean, just found it tonight. I shall follow it closely. My favorite spot is the Mannyfold Valley at the end of the tunnel leading away from Wetton towards Hulme End. On the bridge over the river I watched a Dipper feeding its young, a pair of Goldcrests in and out of a tree covered with ivy, a Redstart and a Chiffchaff all within 30 mins. You also have the feeders 50 yards along the road where you can park right next to the feeders. Lots of Coal Tits and Nuthatches plus LT Tits and GS Woody's. You don't need a zoom on the camera, your that close. Take some bird seed, peanuts and a fat ball for Woody if you go.

Mick, I like your photos they seem to get better as you go along, I'll post a couple of my photos taken at Manifold.
Dean, Hope your feeling a bit better.

Hi Jim
Nice to know there's more of us out there.
Know the spot well, will give it a go.
A couple of years ago there was a juvy little owl in the middle of the raod near the tunnel.
We try to take in a little birding with a walk, if we can.
Thanks
Mick

JimMorris said:
Hi everyone in Staffs.
I can't imagine how I have missed this thread you have started Dean, just found it tonight. I shall follow it closely. My favorite spot is the Mannyfold Valley at the end of the tunnel leading away from Wetton towards Hulme End. On the bridge over the river I watched a Dipper feeding its young, a pair of Goldcrests in and out of a tree covered with ivy, a Redstart and a Chiffchaff all within 30 mins. You also have the feeders 50 yards along the road where you can park right next to the feeders. Lots of Coal Tits and Nuthatches plus LT Tits and GS Woody's. You don't need a zoom on the camera, your that close. Take some bird seed, peanuts and a fat ball for Woody if you go.

Mick, I like your photos they seem to get better as you go along, I'll post a couple of my photos taken at Manifold.

We try to take in a little birding with a walk, if we can.
Thanks
Mick[/QUOTE]

I do it the other way round, a little walk with my birding.
As Dean said Coombe Valley is a nice spot for Flycatchers and there is a Kingfisher on the pond if you are lucky. I don't seem to have a lot of luck there.

The Chiffchaff was taken at Manifold, the flycatcher at Coombes and the Sparrow Hawk in my back garden.
Happy birding.

Last edited:
Coombes Valley

Nice photo's Jim
We do Coombes Valley at least one a year.
Although its not been the same since the tree hide blew down.
Good job we weren't in it at the time though!
We have also had Buzzard, Great Spotted Wood, Redstart, Little Owl, Garden Warbler and Blackcap, there from time to time along with some nice butterflies
in summer - there's also a few species of grasshopper there I believe.
Any idea about a good local spot for Ring Ouzel ?
Keep us up to date with your sightings.
Best
Mick
:hi:

Hi Mick,

I love reading your birding accounts and your photo's are great. It also gives other BF members a chance to see what the countryside is like up hear with the varied hill, moorland and woodland landscapes. Also nice to hear about what birds you are seeing on your walks.

I have a week and a half off now so will get some birding done in our part of the world.

On the road to Ashbourne today from Cromford I noticed to the right of me, above a solitary Curlew in flight !!

The RSPB work is part of Operation Tree Sparrow. I do this work directly through the RSPB but I am aware that Macclesfield RSPB are very involved in the project.

On one of your future walks try Blackbrook Valley between the back of Roaches and Gradbach Hill. I am told that they can sometimes be seen in the valley here.

Best Wishes

Dean

Last edited:
Hi Jim,

You have finally landed here. I thought I had mentioned the thread a while ago when we met but maybe I did not.

Great photo's and look forward to reading about your birding adventures in the Staffordshire Moorlands.

I am much better thanks.

Dean

JimMorris said:
Hi everyone in Staffs.

Blackbrook/Gradbatch

Hi Dean
Have walked that route many a time, either from Wildboarclough or Winkle,
never had any luck with anything out of the ordinary.
However I'm sure that we'll give it another go this spring.
We are off to Titchwell this weekend.
Have a good weekend.
Regards
Mick

Hi Dean, Mick and anyone else out there. Just thought that you like to know of a new sighting in the garden. A Tree Sparrow visited but only for about 30 seconds, To quick to get a photo. It was with the House Sparrows so I'll keep my eye out in case it returns. Hope you all had a good week-end.

JimMorris said:
Hi Dean, Mick and anyone else out there. Just thought that you like to know of a new sighting in the garden. A Tree Sparrow visited but only for about 30 seconds, To quick to get a photo. It was with the House Sparrows so I'll keep my eye out in case it returns. Hope you all had a good week-end.

Hi Jim,

Great news!!

Thats a very interesting sighting. Tree Sparrows appear to be very few in North Staffordshire. I saw 7 Tree Sparrows on Saturday when I did some RSPB survey work in Cheshire including a pair using a nest box. I also saw a Tree Sparrow collecting material to take to a nest.

Its good to hear about Tree Sparrows in North Staffordshire.

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Hi Dean et al

Been having a browse through this thread. You guys are lucky to have tree sparrows. I've seen them elsewhere but never in Sussex where I do most of my birding.

Joanne

joannechattaway said:
Hi Dean et al

Been having a browse through this thread. You guys are lucky to have tree sparrows. I've seen them elsewhere but never in Sussex where I do most of my birding.

Joanne

Same as me Joanne, never saw them in Kent where I lived for 63 years but then I was younger and was not into birding. Had another new one visit yesterday and again today, this time it's a reed bunting That brings my total to 47. I might make 50 by the end of the year.

Just seen this thread its good my favourite place on north staffs moors is definaetly Knotbury its so relaxing to watch ring ouzels, wheatears, twite (not seen this species in the last few visits) red grouse, merlin , etc its an awesome place to relax and watch moorland birds!!

House Martins Over Cheadle

At about 5.45pm today I saw 3 House Martins high above the house. They have had just arrived and there will be many more to follow.

The House Martin Nest under the eves of the house needs building again as the bottom fell out of it in the winter storms.

Its great to see them again and always raises our spirits when they finally return after their very long journey.

It will be fun watching them rebuild the nest and nice to hear them chatting amongst themselves when the baby Martins arrive.

Watching them fly about the place is entertainment in itself.

Dean

Cheadle Birder B :)

Knotbury

SmestowGaz!! said:
Just seen this thread its good my favourite place on north staffs moors is definaetly Knotbury its so relaxing to watch ring ouzels, wheatears, twite (not seen this species in the last few visits) red grouse, merlin , etc its an awesome place to relax and watch moorland birds!!

Glad you joined us SmestowGaz, I've never heard of Knotbury, where is it, I can't find it on the auto route. I have never seen a Ring ouzel,Twite or Red Grouse and would love to pay a visit there.

Dean Do you mind if I came to your place to get some photos of the Martins. Have a look at the photo. You don't want that many nests under your gutter.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back