• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (64 Viewers)

Swillington Ings- Slavionian Grebe

Hi, just wondered about the best way to reach Swillington Ings and where to start looking for the Slavonian Grebe thats been reported around as I have never been before.
PS - best way to reach Huggin Carr?

Thanks in advance, Sam

The slav was at Swillington Ings on Wednesday afternoon,
if you are coming up the M1 stay on the motorway rather than dropping down into Leeds. Come off the motorway at Junc 46 and take 3 rd exit on the roundabout, A63 towards Selby, at the next roundabout take the 3rd exit A642 towards Wakefield. Keep on this road through Swillington village and down the hill, crossing the river Aire and the Canal and going under the railway. Look out for the Lidl store on your left, turn left here onto Fleet Lane, follow this to the oil depot, take care as the road has some great pot holes. You can park in the oil depot car park on the right, keeping to the far end. The hide is visible from the car park, there's usually one or two of the local birders in there so they'll be able to give you the latest gen,. On Wed, the bird was on Bowers lake which is on the St Aidan's site, this isn't accessible and you have to scan from the fence. From the car aprk take the path downriver to the first bridge, cross the river and follow the path by the fence around the St Aidan's site until you reach the concrete spillway, by the 3 rd bridge. If you now look towards the dragline Bowers Lake is the water closest to the dragline. The grebe was on here. You will definitely need a scope to get reasonable views.

I heard today that there were some Common Crane commuting between Wheldrake Ings and North Duffield Carrs - where they still there this evening? I'm hoping to get there bright and early tomorrow morning and check out both sites. I've never seen a Common Crane. Anyone know where the best viewpoints are?

I've just put a couple of flight shots of the Common Cranes in the LDV from today on my blog. They appeared pretty mobile today Yashca. They were not seen (as far as I know) after they flew off north from North Duffield at about 1pm.

House Martin was still flying round my house all day. And the Great Grey Shrike was still present at Skipwith Common.

Cheers, Andy

Cheers Andy. Looks like I might have missed my chance then. I'll give Duffield and Wheldrake a look anyway. It'll be nice day out nevertheless.

I've just put a couple of flight shots of the Common Cranes in the LDV from today on my blog. They appeared pretty mobile today Yashca. They were not seen (as far as I know) after they flew off north from North Duffield at about 1pm.

Can't do a search on Birdguides but weren't 2 or 3 reported further up in North Yorks yesterday, Northallerton?

Now then,
Did you know you can now follow Spurn on twitter?

Follow us @spurnbirdobs

Good news Garry, how are you intending this to work? Are we likely to get real time updates as birds are reported or will it be a daily summary? Not having a radio and not visiting enough to make one worthwhile (even if available!) I'd find find the former very useful.

Cheers.

Edit: Will it be used for finding out whose tea is on the table? ;)

Last edited:

Nice blog pic Andy. Apparently the lack of fieldcraft/ignorance on display by the trio in the pic was quite exceptional by all accounts!!

The guy in the front was reported to be stood in the middle of the meadow a couple of hundred yards out from Tower Hide. He was scoping Grey Herons believing they might have been the cranes – not only was he disturbing everything else on the ings (and the meadow), but if they were the cranes (they weren’t) then the trio would have flushed them. Such selfish behaviour would ensure that people arriving later would be frustrated to say the least.

It is easy to work out where the path is on Wheldrake Ings, you don’t need to be a rocket scientist, but these folk clearly couldn’t work it out between them……..if ‘birdwatchers’ can’t follow the rules how do you go about explaining that there is no access to these areas for a good reason to the dog-walkers, walkers, chavs, trials bikers etc?

The solution to this sort of behaviour is to not release news of decent birds on the reserve…..and that would be a shame!

Nice blog pic Andy. Apparently the lack of fieldcraft/ignorance on display by the trio in the pic was quite exceptional by all accounts!!

The guy in the front was reported to be stood in the middle of the meadow a couple of hundred yards out from Tower Hide. He was scoping Grey Herons believing they might have been the cranes – not only was he disturbing everything else on the ings (and the meadow), but if they were the cranes (they weren’t) then the trio would have flushed them. Such selfish behaviour would ensure that people arriving later would be frustrated to say the least.

It is easy to work out where the path is on Wheldrake Ings, you don’t need to be a rocket scientist, but these folk clearly couldn’t work it out between them……..if ‘birdwatchers’ can’t follow the rules how do you go about explaining that there is no access to these areas for a good reason to the dog-walkers, walkers, chavs, trials bikers etc?

The solution to this sort of behaviour is to not release news of decent birds on the reserve…..and that would be a shame!

Spot on!! I actually found 2 morons walking a dog just in front of the GS hide last week!!! and yes i should be out birding instead of writing this 5,000 word assignment for university. (damn education!!!)

Hi, just wondered about the best way to reach Swillington Ings and where to start looking for the Slavonian Grebe thats been reported around as I have never been before.
PS - best way to reach Huggin Carr?

Thanks in advance, Sam

It was still there yesterday, it was the hardest of the birds to see on that particular lake. By that I mean it dived a lot and it was the only bird that I couldn't fully focus on, all the others (coot, tufties and wigeon) were more obliging. Also had a peregrine winding up the gulls at the sluice end.

I agree, I can't believe how idiotic some people can be!

Thanks to those who supplied Woodlark info. - may need to be May now - rarities getting in the way:

Last Saturday - seconds of the OTD to get a decent photie - which I achieved.

Wednesday across to the Emerald Isle for "BenandJerry's" Scoter.

Just got back today from a long slog to Languard for the Short-toed Tree.

Knacked!

43+ Black-tailed Godwits on Wheldrake Ings this afternoon.

I had great views of the Skipwith Great Grey Shrike today, my best to date. I managed to get some great pictures (by my phone photo standards at least). Really happy with them! Check them out on my blog. I'm really enjoying having this bird so close to home!!

Cheers, Andy

43+ Black-tailed Godwits on Wheldrake Ings this afternoon.

I had great views of the Skipwith Great Grey Shrike today, my best to date. I managed to get some great pictures (by my phone photo standards at least). Really happy with them! Check them out on my blog. I'm really enjoying having this bird so close to home!!

Cheers, Andy

Top stuff as usual Andy looks like were sitting on a bit of a hot spot at the moment,just need some more blue sky when were not at work.:t:

Top stuff as usual Andy looks like were sitting on a bit of a hot spot at the moment,just need some more blue sky when were not at work.:t:

Yeah I'll say, it was freezing today!!!

Hopfully it will be a bit warmer for the weekly check of North Duffield tomorrow!!!

Im holding myself back from having a real rant here. That sort of birdwatching appauls me and I'm sick of my hobby, something I have enjoyed for many many years being spoilt by ignorant, selfish people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back