• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (5 Viewers)

Had quite a good weekend for stuff this weekend, nothing out of the ordinary but still a pleasure.

Started yesterday morning when I let the dog into the back garden & came face to face with a male Sparrowhawk in one of our trees. Wasn't phased at all that there was a puppy running around underneath him!!

This morning noted my first Chiffchaff of the year locally. Then spent a good couple of hours in Strid Woods.Had Nutchatch, Treecreeper, Goosander, Blue, Great & Coal Tits, Chaffinch, a couple of GSW drumming noisily (echos really loudly down by the river at Barden!!), Curlew & Oystercatcher.

Some pics attached.

Richard

Attachments

• IMG_6359.jpg
    IMG_6359.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6372.jpg
    IMG_6372.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6381.jpg
    IMG_6381.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 63
Thanks Richard, if you were that side of the river then you would have missed the birds if they were there as they usually tuck themselves close to the bank.
I'll get myself out there next month or maybe May to see what I can get at dawn.

maybe May to see what I can get at dawn.

I fancy doing that as well for the flycatchers. If you don't mind a tag-a-long let me know when you're thinking of.

I meant to mention in my earlier post, but a lovely pensioner lady made my day as I was taking photographs at the hut - she asked me if I had my own studion for my wildlife photos - if only!!!!

Last edited:
I fancy doing that as well for the flycatchers. If you don't mind a tag-a-long let me know when you're thinking of.

I meant to mention in my earlier post, but a lovely pensioner lady made my day as I was taking photographs at the hut - she asked me if I had my own studion for my wildlife photos - if only!!!!

Will do you Richard, twill be a Sunday morning for sure.

Joespy. Hopefully, here are the attachments I promised you.

Thanks for those Dave, it really paid off sneeking up on the blind side, cracking pics..! Looking at the Red Necked I can see you got it just as it was calling.....I can still hear it now.....:clap:
Cheers Joe

I had 3 male and 1 female Mandarin at Rievaulx Bridge on River Rye, N Yorks at 1710 swimming south (SE 574 843). Makes a change from seeing them at Hackness or Wykeham.

I also had GSW drumming and Green calling from Rievaulx Terrace and several Willow Tits and Nuthatches in the woodland. Also a Common Buzzard drifted across to the north - a very pale bird, but no dark carpal patches to alert me to RLB.

Lots of RLP in the roadside fields heading towards Cold Kirby, including the village green! Few Skylarks, Curlews etc. about between there and Sutton Bank.

Record shot of the Mandarins:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jr_studio/5565334096/

Had quite a good weekend for stuff this weekend, nothing out of the ordinary but still a pleasure.

Started yesterday morning when I let the dog into the back garden & came face to face with a male Sparrowhawk in one of our trees. Wasn't phased at all that there was a puppy running around underneath him!!

This morning noted my first Chiffchaff of the year locally. Then spent a good couple of hours in Strid Woods.Had Nutchatch, Treecreeper, Goosander, Blue, Great & Coal Tits, Chaffinch, a couple of GSW drumming noisily (echos really loudly down by the river at Barden!!), Curlew & Oystercatcher.

Some pics attached.

Richard

Cracking pics there Richard especially the juv M Sprawk, what a stare they have....fierce...! :t:
Joe

The only time I have seen a Quail, it was flushed by two Natural England employees doing a flower survey on 15 June 2010 at Wheldrake Ings. I was stood scoping the meadow from Bailey Bridge and it was flushed as they walked along the private path through the meadow. Apparently there are some rare flowers which flourish there due to the richness of the soil being raised by the silt in the waters that flood the meadow over the winter. Although they heard it call, they were eyes down on their clipboards making field notes at the time...

Great Grey Shrike still present at Skipwith Common this morn, also had a Green Woodpecker perched in a dead tree on the common, and 5 Common Redpoll in a pine tree , feeding on pine cone seeds, went up to Newburgh Priory for the Green-winged Teal, it was showing really well from the small layby by the side of the lake, a Grey Wag also dropped in and landed on the wall a few feet away from me too,
Green-wingedTeal010.jpg

Thanks for those Dave, it really paid off sneeking up on the blind side, cracking pics..! Looking at the Red Necked I can see you got it just as it was calling.....I can still hear it now.....:clap:
Cheers Joe

Yes Joe it was really vocal that morning, by the way couldn't resist putting up the pic of the great crested, am really proud of that one. Don't know why the Red Necked didn't turn out as sharp as all the conditions and settings were the same. Hope you havn't seen the Hatfield Moors site for todays sightings as you won't be very pleased. Might pop down again tomorrow.
Dave

Cracking weekend!

Sat did 'LDV' and managed whoopers/barn owl/little owl/GGS and woodlark amongst others.Today was up in the dales, both grouse/crossers/loads displaying waders and a wheatear. And it was Gods own country up there today,stunning!

Attachments

• crossbill2.jpg
    crossbill2.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 71
  • crossbill4.jpg
    crossbill4.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 86
  • northernwheatear1.jpg
    northernwheatear1.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 80
  • redgrouse2_1.jpg
    redgrouse2_1.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 95
  • woodlark1_1.jpg
    woodlark1_1.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 114
Did Bempton with the wife and child today. Apparently singing Corn Bunting although I missed it. Gannets and Kitts in en masse. A few auks but no Puffins. Izzy made do with a toy one. Also a brief seawatch at Barmston this morning whilst tue other two were in church. Obviously being punished for being a heathen as the only noteworthy birds were 7 Rt Divers N with 3 S and 4 on the water.

Sat did 'LDV' and managed whoopers/barn owl/little owl/GGS and woodlark amongst others.Today was up in the dales, both grouse/crossers/loads displaying waders and a wheatear. And it was Gods own country up there today,stunning!

Cracking pics Doc topstuff :t:

Jealous of that weekend! I've been a bit restricted for the last couple of weekends but managed a forray into lancashire to twitch the Lesser Scaup yesterday.

Any tips on good woodlark areas would be appreciated.

Great pics Doc. If you don't mind me asking where did you see the black grouse? I am afraid that we only get the red variety around here. I also wouldn't mind trying for a UK sighting of a crossbill.

Graeme

Users who are viewing this thread

Back