• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redwing singing (1 Viewer)

Gerry Hooper

Certified User
Walking the dog in the lanes behind Starcross (Devon) there was a Redwing in full song.Sounded like a song thrush in tone but the tune was a lot more wibbly warbly. Never heard it before , how common is it for them to sing away from breeding areas?
Maybe this weathfer stopped it from moving north and it needed to shout about it.Sorry about the f in weather.

On 6th March 2010 I found a singing Redwing near UEA (Norwich). Having never heard them sing before I wasn't sure what it was until I located the bird in a nearby hedge. I went and did a bit of research, and it seems that this singing in Britain in late spring is a recognised occurrence, although not that common. I haven't heard one since, despite seeing several as late as the first week of April.

Walking the dog in the lanes behind Starcross (Devon) there was a Redwing in full song.Sounded like a song thrush in tone but the tune was a lot more wibbly warbly. Never heard it before , how common is it for them to sing away from breeding areas?
Maybe this weathfer stopped it from moving north and it needed to shout about it.Sorry about the f in weather.

On 6th March 2010 I found a singing Redwing near UEA (Norwich). Having never heard them sing before I wasn't sure what it was until I located the bird in a nearby hedge. I went and did a bit of research, and it seems that this singing in Britain in late spring is a recognised occurrence, although not that common. I haven't heard one since, despite seeing several as late as the first week of April.

Was it the full song or a simpler, quieter sub-song? I've heard Redwing singing their full song in Sutherland in summer, but in winter it's always been the sub-song. I've heard Redwing and Fieldfare sing communally on occasion in the UK (though the latter species only a couple of times), again each bird seems to use a quieter sub-song, the collective sound is beautiful however. Sunny, still late mornings/afternoons in early spring seem best.

Cheers
Jonathan

A flock of around 50 Redwing were sub-singing fairly regularly over the past few months on my patch. Creates quite a nice little chourus
Only ever heard Redwing propperly going for it once in the UK, which was in May, again, on my patch.
MB

I'm not sure to be honest. At that point I hadn't heard Redwing full or sub-song, so I didn't consciously assign it to one or the other, I just noted that a Redwing was singing, and I didn't think I heard one do that here before.

Regards,
James

Was it the full song or a simpler, quieter sub-song? I've heard Redwing singing their full song in Sutherland in summer, but in winter it's always been the sub-song. I've heard Redwing and Fieldfare sing communally on occasion in the UK (though the latter species only a couple of times), again each bird seems to use a quieter sub-song, the collective sound is beautiful however. Sunny, still late mornings/afternoons in early spring seem best.

Cheers
Jonathan

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back