Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

[HELP] livecam next to the birdfeeder

Old Monday 26th November 2018, 17:01   #1
Marsh Warbler

[HELP] livecam next to the birdfeeder

Hello everyone, I hope the topic has not already been discussed. If I wanted to install a livecam next to the birdfeeder of my garden, and if I wanted to broadcast the video on Youtube, what would I need? Obviously I already own a personal computer connected to the Internet but, from the practical point of view, what else should I have? Any webcam is fine? I guess it should be resistant to water but then how to connect it to the PC? With a cable or via wi-fi? And can the recorded video be sent directly to my Youtube channel? Sorry for my ignorance on the subject ... Thank you so much for those who want to help me ;-)
Old Tuesday 27th November 2018, 13:49   #2
Mono
Hi!

You can use a normal USB webcam but as you say it would need to be waterproof or in a waterproof housing. The second issue would be that USB is optimised for shortrange, 5m is the maximum, lower for USB3. You could use powered USB hubs strung together every 5m!

Option 2 would be to use a "power over ethernet" camera this is connected with a single network cable that supplies the data and power connection. These can run for 100m but you would need to check that your home network hub can supply power over ethernet, not all can.

Option 3 would to use to use WiFi to get the signal back from the camera, but you would still need to supply power to the camera so it doesn't do away with cabling.

When looking for cameras you need to look at the security market. Some vendors are starting to aim such cameras at the wildlife market but there are many more aimed at the security market. Watch out for cameras that plug straight into your TV they are not what you want. Also check the minimum focus, a bird table cam would need to focus much closer than a security cam covering a driveway.

As to the streaming side that is quite straightforward and YouTube has a handy help page, https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853700

Another point to bear in mind is your internet connection; many household connections are asymmetric, aimed at maximising download speed and have a much slower upload speed. Whilst you can real-time stream to your computer you might not be able to real-time stream out from it.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: