• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Image quality help (1 Viewer)

The night heron photo was taken with Aperture Priority f2.8 (wide zoom 8.0 mm ) at 1/1000 th second (-0.33 comp) using the new 27x LER Kowa eyepiece (iso 100 ). I'm surprised that Fuji restrict the shutter speed to 1/1000 of a second in A/S Mode as it means that you can't use the higher iso in bright light. In other Auto camera modes it allows 1/2000th second. I normally also select Macro when I remember. Neil.

Timedrifter said:
Hi Paul!
I'll take your questions in sequence.
The Fuji cameras were the F10 and F11

Thanks Timedrifter, good to know people are looking elsewhere at other cameras, you talked about focusing problems on the above cameras, can you please clarify? slightly puzzled on this one Timedrifter, as i have spoken with an F10 owner (Digitalbirdy on the forum) over the last few months he raves about the F10 and doesnt mention any focusing problems. also myself and Neil on this forum have just acquired the F30 and a few others, and focusing has never been an issue so far?

Casio Z120 better than 4500.
This of necessity has to be a personal opinion I suppose but I'll give it a try. Firstly the size; a 120 slips into your jeans pocket with room to spare.

anything thats small and portable gets my vote, good point

Secondly, the ability to capture greater detail due to the larger pixel count 4.1 - 7.2.

More pixels does not in my book equate to greater detail, you create a webpicture from either of those cameras taken at the same time and distance, enhance and post up the pictures, you will not see any difference believe me, if you print out both pictures say up to A4, there will be no difference, only if you wish to print bigger than A4 can i see any advantage of more pixels, how many of us print A3?

Thirdly much quicker response times in all departments,
three very important ones being startup time, focussing and shot to shot time.

This seems to be the norm with most point and shoot cameras coming out now, good point

If you use manual focusing the large magnified central area uses the WHOLE screen while focussing, very useful.

This sounds a very good idea, but unless you get the scope focusing exact and find the sweet spot it wont get you those sharp pics, peoples eyesight differ and looking on the back of the screen and refocusing is variable for most people

If you are experienced with histograms the 120 has FOUR CHANNEL live histograms.

Glad to know you use this method, but the good old method of reviewing the pic after you have taken it is probably what most people use to just as good effect, but a good point

Exposure compensation always available in the manual modes by simply pushing the OK button and then adjusting via the left/right buttons.

The coolpix short cut to alter exposure compensation is rather quick IMHO

There are lopads of other things but these are the main ones of interest that can be explained simply. For a more detailed look the benefits of this camera see my link in a previous post.

I think you are more likely to lose shots more frequently with the slow start up and focussing of the 4500 than you would with the odd missed shot due to extremely bad light with the Casio.

The High ISO on the Fujis is a plus for me but the Casio ISO speed doesnt reach the Fujis does it? missings shots and focusing issues? over the UK year and light issues, missed odd shot would be most of the time in winter dont you think unless you really upped the ISO?

As for your final comment the two different styles I think we will just have to agree to differ on this!

agree to disagree! healthy debate Timedrifter!

For reasons I won't go into I can't name the professional.

a really odd reply but respect your decision whatever the reasons are, who was the other digiscoper? as i know, or know of, some of the Peteborough digiscopers?

I will be more than happy to continue this discussion if you wish

Timedrifter, i think that if you wrote your own review of this Casio camera and placed it in the review section, a lot of people would appreciate your input and benefit from you sharing the knowledge

ATB

Paul

Paul Hackett said:
Timedrifter said:
Hi Paul!
I'll take your questions in sequence.
The Fuji cameras were the F10 and F11

Thanks Timedrifter, good to know people are looking elsewhere at other cameras, you talked about focusing problems on the above cameras, can you please clarify? slightly puzzled on this one Timedrifter, as i have spoken with an F10 owner (Digitalbirdy on the forum) over the last few months he raves about the F10 and doesnt mention any focusing problems. also myself and Neil on this forum have just acquired the F30 and a few others, and focusing has never been an issue so far?

Casio Z120 better than 4500.
This of necessity has to be a personal opinion I suppose but I'll give it a try. Firstly the size; a 120 slips into your jeans pocket with room to spare.

anything thats small and portable gets my vote, good point

Secondly, the ability to capture greater detail due to the larger pixel count 4.1 - 7.2.

More pixels does not in my book equate to greater detail, you create a webpicture from either of those cameras taken at the same time and distance, enhance and post up the pictures, you will not see any difference believe me, if you print out both pictures say up to A4, there will be no difference, only if you wish to print bigger than A4 can i see any advantage of more pixels, how many of us print A3?

Thirdly much quicker response times in all departments,
three very important ones being startup time, focussing and shot to shot time.

This seems to be the norm with most point and shoot cameras coming out now, good point

If you use manual focusing the large magnified central area uses the WHOLE screen while focussing, very useful.

This sounds a very good idea, but unless you get the scope focusing exact and find the sweet spot it wont get you those sharp pics, peoples eyesight differ and looking on the back of the screen and refocusing is variable for most people

If you are experienced with histograms the 120 has FOUR CHANNEL live histograms.

Glad to know you use this method, but the good old method of reviewing the pic after you have taken it is probably what most people use to just as good effect, but a good point

Exposure compensation always available in the manual modes by simply pushing the OK button and then adjusting via the left/right buttons.

The coolpix short cut to alter exposure compensation is rather quick IMHO

There are lopads of other things but these are the main ones of interest that can be explained simply. For a more detailed look the benefits of this camera see my link in a previous post.

I think you are more likely to lose shots more frequently with the slow start up and focussing of the 4500 than you would with the odd missed shot due to extremely bad light with the Casio.

The High ISO on the Fujis is a plus for me but the Casio ISO speed doesnt reach the Fujis does it? missings shots and focusing issues? over the UK year and light issues, missed odd shot would be most of the time in winter dont you think unless you really upped the ISO?

As for your final comment the two different styles I think we will just have to agree to differ on this!

agree to disagree! healthy debate Timedrifter!

For reasons I won't go into I can't name the professional.

a really odd reply but respect your decision whatever the reasons are, who was the other digiscoper? as i know, or know of, some of the Peteborough digiscopers?

I will be more than happy to continue this discussion if you wish

Timedrifter, i think that if you wrote your own review of this Casio camera and placed it in the review section, a lot of people would appreciate your input and benefit from you sharing the knowledge

ATB

Paul
Hi again Paul!
Midway through my reply to you yesterday (while away from the computer) I fell over on my head. I now have a beaut of a black eye which is swollen and jammed shut. As a consequence I can't really see the screen properly etc. I will post a detailed reply later, but for now if anyone else wants to jump in on this discussion feel free!
Timedrifter

Timedrifter said:
Hi again Paul!
Midway through my reply to you yesterday (while away from the computer) I fell over on my head. I now have a beaut of a black eye which is swollen and jammed shut. As a consequence I can't really see the screen properly etc. I will post a detailed reply later, but for now if anyone else wants to jump in on this discussion feel free!
Timedrifter

Hope your not in too much pain Timedrifter!

ATB

Paul

Neil said:
Having been using the Fuji F30 for the last few days I've been quite happy with many of it's features, especially it's speed (frame rate ) and it's low noise,high iso. With faster shutter speeds at iso 400/800 it's possible to freeze action without using a remote. Which is just as well as it doesn't have one.
What I do miss is a rotatable screen (I'm often in hides or shooting low to the ground ), a live Histogram and Custom Modes for storing my favorite settings. I wont be giving up my Olympus 7070wz just yet.
On handholding it would be necessary to have the bird stay still as it's very difficult to follow a moving bird and focus with one hand while holding the camera with the other. I handhold my little Leica C-Lux 1 and the Fuji F30 with my Swaro bins but the rubber eyecups hold the camera lens nicely. I just the bins on a ledge,fence or rock.
As digiscoping is a lot of hit and miss I wonder how many the handholders miss. The attached photo requires me to follow the bird as it moves around the rocks and as it takes up most of the frame even the slightest movement requires me to adjust the scope using both hands. I don't use a remote for this kind of photo, just squeeze off a series of frames as fast as I can. Neil.
ps this was taken using the Fuji F30's Chrome (Velvia look ) on a non-fluorite Kowa scope.

nice pic Neil!

Will try and post a few pics up showing the ISO mode capability on this camera

ATB

Paul

Paul Hackett said:
nice pic Neil!

Will try and post a few pics up showing the ISO mode capability on this camera

ATB

Paul

Hi Paul - glad your getting to grips with the new F30 cam. I look forward to seeing the results when you post them.

Get well soon Timedrifter.

Adrian

Definitely a great shot Neil. Out of curiousity, why do you use Macro focus in your shots? I have played around with this a bit in terms of Macro, Infinity, Manual, Auto and cannot seem to really find one being more beneficial than the other. On the other hand it may just be that I do not have as much of a trained eye to notice the difference. Comments?

Thanks.

Paul Hackett said:
Hope your not in too much pain Timedrifter!

ATB

Paul
Hi again Paul, back in the land of the sighted – just! Thanks to both you and Adrian for your wishes.

Re the focussing problems on the F10 and F11. It seemed that I was fairly frequently getting the auto focussing marks turning red and not that beautiful shade of green we all like to see! I know I was not alone in this respect because I read of at least one other person having the same problem, but I’ve not been able to find the post. This applied to both cameras and has only rarely happened in my limited use of the Casio. To qualify this I should add that all other factors are the same.

You are going to upset a lot of people here Paul! Not least poor old Frank who started the thread, he’s has just lashed out a lot of bucks on a ten megapixel camera. But seriously, what I actually meant was that it is of benefit surely, when enlarging a portion of an image, to have more pixels to play with in post processing?

Agreed, no the Casio doesn’t have the high ISO capability of the Fuji which I concede is a big plus for Fuji owners. Also the Z120 which I’m using at the moment doesn’t have anything like as good a screen but, and here we’re into intangibles; to me the Casio somehow is better to use. Its not one specific thing, it’s the jumble of things that go into taking a digiscoped piccie. I am again prepared to concede that this may be personal to me but, I like using the Casio more and I get more consistent results. I should add here that I am still in what I consider to be the honeymoon period with this camera but, assuming all continues without any big cons appearing I will buy the Z750 sometime in the near future. This has a larger screen and a few other small advantages.

The other digiscoper from the Peterborough area that I was thinking of was Brian Stone, and I’ve remembered Mike Weedon also hand holds. I’ve never thought of hand holding as being particularly skilful, rather just a question of being careful, but there you go!

I may find a minute to do as you suggest and write a review of the Z120 when I have finished finally evaluating it

Timedrifter

You are going to upset a lot of people here Paul! Not least poor old Frank who started the thread, he’s has just lashed out a lot of bucks on a ten megapixel camera. But seriously, what I actually meant was that it is of benefit surely, when enlarging a portion of an image, to have more pixels to play with in post processing?

Not in the least. ;) Actually, I did not buy it for the 10.1 megapixels though that is a nice feature. I bought it because it was one of the few cameras the store I went to offered that would have worked for digiscoping....and I definitely do agree with the latter part of the quoted comment above. It has.

Agreed, no the Casio doesn’t have the high ISO capability of the Fuji which I concede is a big plus for Fuji owners. Also the Z120 which I’m using at the moment doesn’t have anything like as good a screen but, and here we’re into intangibles;

Though I know you were referring to your Casio, the Casio EX Z1000 does have the higher ISO capability...3200 in high sensitivity and has a higher resolution, larger and brighter screen. There is a bit more noise in the pics at 800, 1600 and 3200 when compared with the Fuji pics I have seen on the web but can't that be edited in post processing?

Using Macro is a carryover from the Nikon CP4500 days when the Yellow Macro Flower would go Yellow to indicate focus. I noticed with my Olympus that the zoom steps are smaller with Macro and smaller again with Supermacro so it helps with critical focusing. I haven't tested this with the Fuji F30 yet to see if it makes a difference.Neil.

I've been using the Olympus 7070wz for about 12 months and am very happy with it. I'm always looking for new ways of digiscoping. I was using the Kyocera SL400R before the Olympus and I liked the ability to take fast frames continuously to capture action shots. The Olympus is a bit limited in this area and the Fuji F30 has some interesting fast frame modes (First 3, Last 3, Continuous until card is full ). Neil.

Neil said:
I've been using the Olympus 7070wz for about 12 months and am very happy with it. I'm always looking for new ways of digiscoping. I was using the Kyocera SL400R before the Olympus and I liked the ability to take fast frames continuously to capture action shots. The Olympus is a bit limited in this area and the Fuji F30 has some interesting fast frame modes (First 3, Last 3, Continuous until card is full ). Neil.
Hi Neil
I think you're answering yes, in which case I'm now curious about which scope and particularly eyepiece you use with a camera that has such a large lens.
Re the ability to shoot quickly, have you tried the Canon A620? With a fast card this is extremely quick. I too like the particular features you mention for the Fuji. What was annoying was that they reset themselve to single frame whenever you viewed or switched off - not very friendly!
Getting back to Olympus briefly, I've just bough a C-765 uz specifically for dragonfly photograpy. Its the first Olympus digital I've used and I have to say I like it a lot already.
Timedrifter

Thank you Neil. That makes alot of sense. I had not considered that. I attempted to adjust via manual focus on the camera.as suggested by others previously and am not sure if I prefer that method. I took some shots this morning in Macro but did not read your post prior to attempting it. I will pay greater attention as to whether or not the Macro function allows me better control over the focus mechanism.

Below is a few of about 80 pics I took this morning. These were some of the better ones. Lighting angle wasn't optimal but I thought the shots were worth taking. Still not anywhere near where I want to be but it definitely is enjoyable to continue to practice.

Attachments

• robinghopper2.jpg
    robinghopper2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 118
  • robinghopper3.jpg
    robinghopper3.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Canon have had some nice features in their digicams but they never seem to have enough in one camera for me to try. The A620 has a longish zoom (35 - 140 mm ) which which could squeeze more magnification than most on a 20 x eyepiece but may be too much for a 30x ( a combined 60x optical magnification is the most you want with an 80 mm scope ). The high speed of 1/2500 is useful for bright days and 1.9 frames/sec looks. I liked the spec of the Canon G6 but unfortunately the G series lenses were not digiscoping friendly.
The Olympus works nicely with the Swarovski DCA Adapter (52 mm thread ) and it has ED glass . Neil.

Attachments

• Adapter.swarovski.ol#2382EA.jpg
    Adapter.swarovski.ol#2382EA.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 149
FrankD said:
Thank you Neil. That makes alot of sense. I had not considered that. I attempted to adjust via manual focus on the camera.as suggested by others previously and am not sure if I prefer that method. I took some shots this morning in Macro but did not read your post prior to attempting it. I will pay greater attention as to whether or not the Macro function allows me better control over the focus mechanism.

Below is a few of about 80 pics I took this morning. These were some of the better ones. Lighting angle wasn't optimal but I thought the shots were worth taking. Still not anywhere near where I want to be but it definitely is enjoyable to continue to practice.
Hi Frank!
At last we can all see what's holding you back - a diabolical eyepiece!! Throw it away immediately and get a Pentax one, even if you have to rob a bank!
Both these shots illustrate perfectly that you are only achieving focus and clarity in the central part of the frame, then the surrounding area goes out of focus in a circular fashion outwards. I have no idea why you chose to buy TWO astronomical eyepieces, I can only assume that this was or is another interest of yours, but for terrestrial use and PARTICULARLY digiscoping they are next to useless. If you feel I've been hard about this it wasn't meant to be rude, it was meant to make you realise that you will never achieve what you obviously so badly want with this eyepiece. Go ahead steal!
Timedrifter+

Neil said:
Canon have had some nice features in their digicams but they never seem to have enough in one camera for me to try. The A620 has a longish zoom (35 - 140 mm ) which which could squeeze more magnification than most on a 20 x eyepiece but may be too much for a 30x ( a combined 60x optical magnification is the most you want with an 80 mm scope ). The high speed of 1/2500 is useful for bright days and 1.9 frames/sec looks. I liked the spec of the Canon G6 but unfortunately the G series lenses were not digiscoping friendly.
The Olympus works nicely with the Swarovski DCA Adapter (52 mm thread ) and it has ED glass . Neil.
Hi Neil!
Re the 620. I have found that the zoom is best at around 15mm, and stanglely(?) I met another digiscoper the other day who has found exactly the same thing. Re the speed, I have found that on the highest quality setting using a Patriot extreme card (133) it shoots off the first four or sometimes five shots at AT LEAST three frames per second! It then slows to approximately three shots per two seconds. If you drop the quality to Fine you get the fast speed for approximately eleven shots. The only reason its sitting on the shelf at the moment is that is has vignetting problems beyond which I am prepared to accept with my setup. I found the picture quality though to be very good.
Timedrifter

Hi guys

I also use the A620 and because of the 4x zoom it is difficult to use past 20x which = 80 x combined, but it works for what I want. It is possible to use it at 3x or lower, it just depends on the subject and the distance. (scope is Opticron es80ED).

These are my settings, see how they compare to yours

AF frame - flexi zone
flash sync - 1st curtain
slow sync - off
flash - auto
red eye - off
spot - af point
safety shift - off
mf point zoom - off
af assist beam - off
digital zoom - on
review - 3 secs
reverse disp - on
grid lines - off

iso - 100
white balance - auto
drive mode - burst
effect - off
flash - 0
focusing - evaluation
pixels - superfine
picture - large

If have found better settings please let me know.

Thanks

Paul

Last edited:
Paul Jarvis said:
Hi guys

I also use the A620 and because of the 4x zoom it is difficult to use past 20x which = 80 x combined, but it works for what I want. It is possible to use it at 3x or lower, it just depends on the subject and the distance. (scope is Opticron es80ED).

These are my settings, see how they compare to yours

AF frame - flexi zone
flash sync - 1st curtain
slow sync - off
flash - auto
red eye - off
spot - af point
safety shift - off
mf point zoom - off
af assist beam - off
digital zoom - on
review - 3 secs
reverse disp - on
grid lines - off

iso - 100
white balance - auto
drive mode - burst
effect - off
flash - 0
focusing - evaluation
pixels - superfine
picture - large

If have found better settings please let me know.

Thanks

Paul
Hi Paul!
As I said in the previous post, I've stopped using the 620 now because of vignetting problems. From what I recall though my settings were similar with a few exceptions.
Digital zoom definitely off!
Review off
And all flash settings irrelevant because flash off.

Which attachment method do you use?
It has just occurred to me that we are getting a bit off thread here and perhaps we should continue this privately if you want. I don't think the few comments I may have in this area will be of that much interest anyway.
Timedrifter

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back