• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Binocular Journal (3 Viewers)

OK as promised a few pics from my little town and surrounding area. I'll add some more in other posts. The pic with the dogs running in the field is near somewhat near my home but it's on the other side of that hill you are looking at. That hill is my little birding hill top I've mentioned a few times. The mountains beyond that are the dry side of our valley and my deck over looks that. These were taken long ago with a pretty inexpensive camera and I had to bring down the size a lot go get them in so the quality isn't great but you'll get some idea.

DSC01607.jpg

DSC01823.jpg

DSC01950.jpg

OK as promised a few pics from my little town and surrounding area. I'll add some more in other posts. The pic with the dogs running in the field is near somewhat near my home but it's on the other side of that hill you are looking at. That hill is my little birding hill top I've mentioned a few times. The mountains beyond that are the dry side of our valley and my deck over looks that. These were taken long ago with a pretty inexpensive camera and I had to bring down the size a lot go get them in so the quality isn't great but you'll get some idea.

Beautiful and Stunning Landscapes, John!! o:D

Ted

BC, You live in a beautiful part of the world. Thanks for sharing the pics. It does look like '10x country' to some extent. ;-) But I'm sure you can see a lot of birds regardless.

-Bill

BC, You live in a beautiful part of the world. Thanks for sharing the pics. It does look like '10x country' to some extent. ;-) But I'm sure you can see a lot of birds regardless.

-Bill

You can say that again! Gorgeous country black crow. Thanks for showing us your home place. Fantastic.

I'm not a good storyteller, but this is the most beautiful bird I've ever seen in my life. I didn't actually take this picture, but I saw several of these birds, a lilac breasted roller, over in Namibia, Africa while sitting around a water hole. It almost looked like a cartoon animal it was so colorful.

Attachments

• lilac-breasted-roller-1.jpg
    lilac-breasted-roller-1.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

-Bill

Yeah 10x helps. Off my back deck it's 25x country. Still if you hike you can get some nice closeups.

Ashland is known for having one of the premier Shakespearean theaters in the US. The town swells with tourists in summer. If you look to the right side close to you there is a weird looking half curved structure. (in binoculars from there you can see all the seats and a lot of detail) That is the outdoor theater. There are three other indoor theaters to go along with that. Many modern plays also. That's what brings Ashland up to date with big cities and so we have a lot of things many small towns don't. At the other end of town is a large College with lots of rowdy kids. It's not quite as sleepy as it looks. However being up against full on wilderness on two sides we get a lot of wildlife in town. Especially deer and turkeys. However a few weeks back there was a Cougar and deer kill near the downtown area. We usually get a few bears in town also. especially during the fall when the fruit is ready. It's an interesting mix of wild and tame. Here's the creek near my house. There is also a pond along the creek that brings in a remarkable amount of wildlife including river otters. This is one of the places in town you'll see a lot of binoculars on people's necks. DSC01850.jpg

DSC01851.jpg

Last edited:
Tenex

You have expressed that perfectly. This is what is in my head and my heart when I am testing binos before writing a review. The question I want to answer (and which doesn't satisfy some more technically oriented members) isn't so much what are the minute technical differences between one bino and another, it is: how usable and enjoyable are these binos for observing nature? And if a pair of binos has a technical weakness (or two) but you can still make good nature observations and enjoy it and never think about these weaknesses while doing it, then, YAY, these binos are usable and enjoyable and are doing what they were made to do.

Lee

Very much agreed. Well put.

Hey it's been raining hard here today so I've been stuck inside most of the day. Since I have nothing else to do I'll post my last four pics from my area of the planet. My friends dogs which I trained for her, and some of our fall wildflowers and a piece of property owned by my friend up high in the mountains called Star Meadows and some turkeys in town.

DSC02137.jpg

DSC02138.jpg

DSC01397.jpg

DSC01940.jpg

We just had a long rainy night, and some this morning too, then the weather kind of cleared, but with some sun and more clouds, though it was good viewing from indoors through my binoculars!.

I think I could live in your desolate conditions, BC, if I tried real hard! LOL ; )) I'm not used to seeing much of the horizon from day to day, kind of like when we lived in NYC and Brooklyn so many years ago! That was a nightmare, and I was so happy to get back to my hometown, even though I might not see the horizon so much either, on occasion is good, and not having walls of buildings all around surely helps! My wife even likes it better than the city, and being more relaxed and safer here.

But you certainly have the views, along with Bill and his lovely parks too! Enjoy guys, you are very lucky to have that!

Last edited:
Guys these are all great stories and some fabulous pics and this whole thread is a treat to read, but lets not forget that we should mention binoculars now and then, this being the binoculars forum.

Lee

Last edited:
I think I've talked binos in most all of my posts in this thread outside of long promised pics. The idea is to have a combination of both and I'm planning on sticking to that. So I'm about to head out with EII porro as the sun has returned and no more rain for days ahead. I've got all four dogs with me today. I'm still torn between staying satisfied with the EII for now or buying myself a Swaro Habicht for my birthday in a few days. I'm more satisfied with the EII than any binocular I've owned yet I crave something better. This cannot be psychologically healthy.:eek!:

Last edited:
I think I've talked binos in most all of my posts in this thread outside of long promised pics. The idea is to have a combination of both and I'm planning on sticking to that. So I'm about to head out with EII porro as the sun has returned and no more rain for days ahead. I've got all four dogs with me today. I'm still torn between staying satisfied with the EII for now or buying myself a Swaro Habicht for my birthday in a few days. I'm more satisfied with the EII than any binocular I've owned yet I crave something better. This cannot be psychologically healthy.:eek!:

Well, even I, who heartily dislikes the shape of porros in the hand, have to say that the leatherette-covered Habicht 7x42 is one handsome bino.

Lee

Well, even I, who heartily dislikes the shape of porros in the hand, have to say that the leatherette-covered Habicht 7x42 is one handsome bino.

Lee

Yes, a classic, no doubt, and according to Denco, they even SMELL GOOD! What I would like to know, is that if they have leatherette covers (not to doubt Lee's info), then what is the smell you liked Dennis, the adhesive or the vinyl? Do we need a warning sticker on them? ; ) :bounce:

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3702894&postcount=2

Thanks for the lol when I read your comment about the hit you got from them! I never had that experience with a bin before-maybe you got some of your English Leather cologne on them?! 3:)

See, this is another reason I like this place; you never know what you are going to read here! Just joking around Dennis, no harm meant-and thanks for the laugh!

I read that about the smell in an article I read on the 8x30. They said it smelled good. Go figure.

I spent my whole hike going back and forth on getting them. I'm still undecided. They wouldn't be my first choice for birding with a stiff focuser. They'd be great for hiking being small and light, even though they have a somewhat restricted fov compared to all my other 8x bins. They'd be great for looking at flowers and tree bark and such stationary stuff. Good anywhere you don't need a really wide fov. Waterproof is good. Seems there are modifications I can make to deal with the internal reflections. Good on dark days and towards dawn and dusk. They look like a little work of art. I think if the FOV was larger I'd have ordered them already. I just cannot decide. Later today I'm picking up the EII 10x35 from the post office. Maybe that will help me decide. I need to quit thinking about this 24/7.

As to what I saw on my hike, not much. I ended up taking out the Genesis instead of the EII as there were still a few rainclouds. Lots of yellow rumped warblers and a few chickadees and a few juncos, a couple of turkey vultures and not much else. Fortunately the Warblers are a very pretty and colorful bird. It was fun having all four dogs out with me. They did a not of running.

Once the weather gets fully sunny I plan on doing some birding proper in the parks along our Ashland Creek.

Lee

Lee have you seen the Nikon EII in person? I think that is also a very stylish porro. The Habicht is even more so a little work of art. I just want to hold one and bask in it's smell. 8-P

It's like having a really well made but small and solid gold watch.

Lee have you seen the Nikon EII in person? I think that is also a very stylish porro. The Habicht is even more so a little work of art. I just want to hold one and bask in it's smell. 8-P

It's like having a really well made but small and solid gold watch.

No I have never seen EII or SE as Nikon doesn't bring these to Bird Fair. I always pick up the Habicht 7x42s every time I walk past them at the Fair. But I have never noticed an alluring aroma. There could be two explanations for this. One: these are the same binos year after year and their fragrance faded years ago or Two: their aroma has been overwhelmed by the fragrance of the 20-30,000 folks who visit Bird Fair each year.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back