• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Better Beamer (1 Viewer)

Hi VB,
if you mean a Kirk Flash X-Tender, they can be got from WHE under Kirk products for about £35 ish , may sure you pick the correct one for your flash gun.
It consists of a fres magnifier, two side arms and some velcro to hold it together.
regards I4ani.

Hi VB,
if you mean a Kirk Flash X-Tender, they can be got from WHE under Kirk products for about £35 ish , may sure you pick the correct one for your flash gun.
It consists of a fres magnifier, two side arms and some velcro to hold it together.
regards I4ani.

Thanks I4ani, but they seem only to be for Nikon flashes and mine is a Canon 430 EX II. Better Beamer is a make in its own right, although any make will do, of course.

Hi VB,
The Kirk versions do fit Canon flash guns, go to www.kirkphoto.com and check out the model suitable for your gun, they make several versions ie FX1-FX6 and list which ones are suitable/compatible.
regards I4ani

Warehouse Express. I've just looked at Arthur Morris's Birds As Art site to do a quick price comparison and the Beamers have got the same codes (FX-5 for the 430EX) so I presume these extenders are all basically the same. (I also have a 430EX and am also looking to get an extender so I've been following this thread.)

I'll go for the one IanF has suggested, although it'll have to wait a few weeks until I have some spare money!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:
Be careful how you position your tripod with any of these flash extenders attached. I saw a guy that stopped to talk and set his tripod down with the flash extender artached ti flash and camera. When I walked by the thing was smoking. The sun was shiging into the beamer and melted a hole in his flash. More damage would have been done If I hadn't noticed it.

Ahh thanks guys!
and yes I have heard tell that the reflection of the sun causing damage to flash heads when using extenders is a recognised problem - so even more reason to keep you eye on the lighting ;)

Oh, yes, I heard about this, melted flashes and all!

By the way, is it the same material used in flash extenders as in those little square things you see in the back of bus windows that help the driver see better when reversing?

Oh, yes, I heard about this, melted flashes and all!

By the way, is it the same material used in flash extenders as in those little square things you see in the back of bus windows that help the driver see better when reversing?

I think they're both types of Fresnel lenses - so yes!

Here's a photo of the ones made by the guy who sent me the link. Not a great photos to show the BB but impressive nonetheless. I have not tried to build one yet, mainly because the book store did not have the size I wanted. I'll give it a try eventually.

Attachments

• betterbeamer_homemade.jpg
    betterbeamer_homemade.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 214
I eventually tracked down an 8 inch x 10 inch Fresnel lens, it was incredibly hard to find, they're like gold-dust here on the Isle of Wight (probably due to an above-averagely high elderly population buying them for reading with!) but I eventually found one - the last they had - in a shop that sells items for disabled people. It was a bit more expensive than I was hoping, £14.99, but it is rigid plastic.
I detatched it from the frame it was in and this evening I am going to try and put a flash extender together with tape and cardboard a la this one here.

Hopefully I'll end up with something that works well, but won't cost me about £32. If it doesn't work, then I'll resort to buying one off the net.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back