• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ness Point, Suffolk (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Could anyone provide me with any details of finding Purple Sandpipers at this location, please?

Having visited before, I recall that there is quite a long stretch of seawall/seafront. Can they be anywhere, or do they tend to favour a particular area?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

I was there this afternoon. The best place to see them is by the 'compass' at Ness Point. They are often on the jetties or the boulders near there, as they were today. However they flew south and disappeared behind the rocks, so they can be difficult to find at times. They can also sometimes be found feeding on the old sea wall to the north of Ness Point. Good luck.

Ron

Edit. Here is a pic of six of them feeding in front of the 'compass' today.

Attachments

• Purple sands 7-12-15.jpg
    Purple sands 7-12-15.jpg
    626.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Thanks Chris. I would also add that they spend quite a bit of time in the company of Turnstones. If you find the Turnstones it is worth checking to see if there are any Purple Sands there as well.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back