• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anybody else burned by Redfield Binoculars ? (1 Viewer)

Sixkiller66

Hi there Folks, I have been having serious issues with a Redfield Renegade binocular and I was wondering if you had the same experience.

I will shortly say that I received the lowest mechanical quality binocular I have ever seen in my life- total rubbish their 7x50 with am awful focuser, wrinkled rubber armor, eyecups falling off... Absolute joke.

Redfield has been ignoring my emails and calls completely for the past month and I cannot get to them.
Their warranty is worthless because no one will answer to address my problem or even discuss it.

So just thought I would post this so that others dont make my mistake. They made 150$ off my back but if I can warn a future customer - I'll be at moral peace.

Thanks for reading !

Last edited:
Hey Phil!
Usa/usa

The glass is actually not bad at all ! They are an american company specializong in rifle scopes

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional info. In case you did not know, Redfield is owned by Leupold. Leupy is known for excellent customer service. I do not know if the two separate brands have two separate CS offices, but you might check into that, and contact Leupold if you have not done so.

I would agree that the Renegade glass isn't bad at all. We have an 8x36 that provides very good performance for the money. It is used as a loaner bino. It has not suffered any malfunctions in the year we have owned it.

The devil got burned, now isn't that ironic? ;)

SWFA sells Redfield, so they're apparently aimed at hunters on a budget. The Rebel roof is a little over a $100, the Renegade porro is $84, and the Tactical camo roof is $199. Redfield may be owned by Loopy, but I doubt if they make the binoculars.

swfa-Redfield

Hopefully, you will get your money back.

If you're in the market for a 7x50, for the price, you can't beat the Vixen 7x50 Foresta. If anything goes wrong with it, they will replace it for $25. The colors and contrast punch above its price point, they are WP and relatively lightweight for a 7x50. Good ergonomics, too. I highly recommend it, though I must warn you that the diameter of the eyecups is very wide. If you have deep-set eyes and/or a high-bridged nose, the eyecups might not be comfortable.

Vixen_Optics_14504_7x50_ZCF_Foresta_Binoculars

If the Vixen is too expensive, try a Nikon Action EX, which costs $139. I haven't tried the 7x50, but I have tried the 7x35 and 8x40s, and while the edges are fuzzy (field curvature, which can be refocused), the centerfield sharpness is very good and the color and contrast also very good, though not as good as the Vixen.

My only beef with the Action EX porros is that they are somewhat heavy. The 7x50 is 35 oz., which is nearly 5 oz. heavier then the Vixen. The FOV is also stingy @ 6.4* vs. the Vixen's 7.2*. I'd go with the 8x40 in the Action EX series - wider FOV and lighter weight.

Nikon 7x50 Action EX

Brock

Last edited:
Hah :)
Thanks for the great alternatives ! I will examine them if I don't get a new proper Redfield that wasn't built by a five year old.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back