• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Ireland Local Patch (1 Viewer)

s. james said:
Didn't see any Redpolls; are those 3 still visiting your garden Norma? By the way my name is Stephen, James is my middle name. Took sjames from my email address.

Hello Stephen,
It's very handy that you are so close to Oxford Island and can do a spot of birding whenever it's convenient.
The redpolls are still visiting and after I posted the message I looked up the book. They are a breeding resident so I hope I'll have them all year round.

Norma

nepp said:
Hello Stephen,
It's very handy that you are so close to Oxford Island and can do a spot of birding whenever it's convenient.
The redpolls are still visiting and after I posted the message I looked up the book. They are a breeding resident so I hope I'll have them all year round.

Norma

Thats the type of birding I like best- ''patch watching'' where you really get to know your patch and where to spot the different birds and mammals on it. It's also great when you spot something there you've never seen before, even if its common elsewhere its always like finding a rarity. I started birding in Donegal where the Nature Reserve is directly behind our campsite, so perhaps thats why I like having a patch to study so much.

I'm sure there would be somewhere good within a mile or two of your house. I was going to start watching the local fields until I realised there were no Rabbits present- one of my priorities for a patch, because Rabbits usually mean that Foxes and other predators like Buzzards will turn up eventually! Water, even if its only a small pond is also something to look for.

Hi all
I took Stephen's advice today and stayed local (nearly). The Quoile Pondage produced a male garganey, some wigeon, teal, lots of tufties and common terns.

At the Inner Bay, Dundrum we got 7 whimbrel at quite close range and few dunlin, a single curlew and of course lots of redshank.

Last edited:
Hello Norma,
Where exactly did you see the Garganey, may go tomorrow for a look.
Today i had 3 Iceland, 1 Glaucous and 1 Yellow Legged Gull at the Northforeshore Tip.
All the best
Derek

Del Charles said:
Hello Norma,
Where exactly did you see the Garganey, may go tomorrow for a look.
Today i had 3 Iceland, 1 Glaucous and 1 Yellow Legged Gull at the Northforeshore Tip.
All the best
Derek

Derek
The Garganey is at the Quoile Pondage hide. Take the road to Strangford from Downpatrick and it's a wee road on the left with a dead end sign. Probably about a mile from the Quoile Castle. Keep going on this road and you come to a causeway. Last week we had 23 whimbrel there but none today. Continue along this single track road (eventually takes you to Quoile Yacht club). The hide is on the left with parking. Yesterday the Garganey was on the right looking out of the hide but in today's wind it was on the left and we had good views of it. It's a first for me.

Thanks Norma, would be a new one in Ireland for me.Here is a picture of a male taken last week in Greece!
All the best
Derek

Attachments

• mystery birds 777.jpg
    mystery birds 777.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 119
Del Charles said:
Thanks Norma, would be a new one in Ireland for me.Here is a picture of a male taken last week in Greece!
All the best
Derek
Yes Derek! It looks just like that! I'll bet the one I saw wishes it was in Greece too.

Hello Everyone.
Went to St Johns Point this morning possibly hopeing for a few Skuas,but nothing.Went round to the Quoile Pondage to look for Norma's Gargeney but missed it,only to be told later it turned up 10minutes after we left! Whilst at the Quoile i got a phone call to say the Bonapartes Gull had been refound at Reedy Flat,Armagh so we decided to go for it.Upon reaching Reedy Flat we found it straight away! Which was nice for a change!
We went then to the Foreshore Tip but a Glaucous was the best today and ended up at the RSPB Reserve where 3 Iceland Gulls were the only things of note.The strong wind and frequent rain showers made us call it a day early.At one stage today i had to get the hat and gloves out again.Where is the good weather?
Derek.
Sorry about the poor shot of the Bonapartes

Attachments

• belfast 6 may 002.jpg
    belfast 6 may 002.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 141
Hi Folks,
Had a few hours this afternoon, so with the changeable windy weather, the Castleisland hide at the Quoile seemed a good idea.
First up was a pair of Great Crested Grebes building a nest, my usual Grey Heron, other residents such as Tufty's, Pochard, Coot, Moorhen, Black tailed Godwits, Redshank, Greenshank, Cormorant and lo and behold there among the Teal was your nice male Garganey, Derek. With a few Common terns and a couple of Whimbrel I decided to move on.

Heading for Scrabo I had a lovely view of a Kestrel hovering, but as usual, by the time I got out of the traffic it was gone.

Scrabo yielded the usual so I enjoyed my time there before heading home. Attached a couple of distant pics from there.

Yesterday went for a quick walk along the Six Mile at lunchtime and got three lovely views of the Kingfisher. Still to see him stationary. The pic will happen some day I hope.

Attachments

• Perepair.jpg
    Perepair.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Malepere69.jpg
    Malepere69.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 148
Hi everybody,

had my weekend in Donegal, didn't get to Sheskinore but still had some nice birds. The highlight was just outside Dunfanaghy, where I had one of the Glenveagh Golden Eagles.

I also had my first Swifts and Common Terns of this summer. The only other thing worth mentioning, and I apologise to Derek in advance, was a Great Skua, which was harasing Sandwich Terns of Falcaragh Strand. Lovely views of it attacking the terns and forcing them to drop their hard earned lunch.

As usual lovely shots from Tully, Derek and Norma. I might just have to take up this digiphotography lark.

Rgds Roger

Hello Everyone!

Well done on the Skua Roger, fantastic birds.
Norma i finally caught up with Mister Garganey today.I spent an hour in the hide today at the Quoile, watching three first summer Little Gulls and practiceing with my new camcorder.I had given up on finding him when a Cormorant flew in and landed on a nearby island in front of the hide and disturbed 2 ducks from the far side of it.Lo and behold wasn't one of them the elusive Mr Garganey.But he must have had a hangover because he slept for the next hour,until i left!
All the best
Derek

Attachments

• qouile 068.jpg
    qouile 068.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 150
Hello Everyone.
I got the weather i was asking for but it was a fairly quiet day birdwise.
At Larne Harbour one male White Wagtail was giveing splendid views.At Whitehouse Lagoon 1 Iceland, 53 Common Terns and 256 Black Tailed Godwits were present and finally at the RSPB Reserve 2 Glaucous Gulls were loafing about.
All the best
Derek

Attachments

• white wag 009.jpg
    white wag 009.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 125
  • white wag 012.jpg
    white wag 012.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 125
  • white wag 025.jpg
    white wag 025.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 101
Del Charles said:
Hello Everyone,
Could someone please give me directions on how to get to Altnahinch Dam?
Many thanks

Derek

Derek
Like you we had a quiet day. Heard and saw 2 sedge warblers in different locations near the Quoile. Good pictures today!

Here's the map for Altanhinch Dam.Map for Altnahinch Dam

I go from Ballymena to Newtown Crommelin - turn left at Scenic route to Cushendun. Keep going up onto the moor until you eventually come to a road on the left with a big barn behind it. You won't see any other buildings on this road once you have passed various ruined steadings about to be sold! Turn left at this junction. (it was on this corner I got 3 red grouse). At the edge of the next forest you can get merlin. After a bit you'll come to the reservoir on the left.

Norma

We were up early today and headed off for Altnahinch Dam.With Normas great instructions it seemed as if we were there in no time.Our first stop produced two Siskins very close.Mike spotted a far off Male Harrier but it dived over the hill before i could see it.As we were driveing down towards the car park i spotted some finchs on top of a tree.A quick stop revealed four Crossbills, but they didnt hang about and flew off with their distinctive chip chip call.Near the Car park Mike spotted a bird on the wire.It turned out to be a Male Whinchat.It sang its heart out for the next couple of minutes.A grey wagtail showed well too and then a flash as a Merlin probably a female wizzed by and into the trees.At the Car park we relocated the male Hen Harrier and got great scope views as he hunted and glided.A qiuck walk round produced 3 Redpoll 2 Willow Warbler and 2 Sedge Warbler!
We then headed for Craigagh wood but on the way spotted another male Hen Harrier and even got some poor shots/video.At Craigagh wood there was no sign of any Wood Warblers yet, Long Tailed Tit was the best bird.
The drive to Belfast produced Fulmar, Gannet and Eider and a close Buzzard.The Northforeshore Tip saw 2 Iceland Gull and 1 Glaucous but we had to make a retreat when we were attacked by 2 zillion flys! despite bringing fly spray.At the Sydenham conservation area 1 male Whitethroat sang well but there was nothing unusual at the RSPB Reserve although a Reed Warbler was heard this morning.Check your local reedbeds!
All the best
Derek

Attachments

• whinchat 017.jpg
    whinchat 017.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 139
  • whinchat 098.jpg
    whinchat 098.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 111
  • whinchat 086.jpg
    whinchat 086.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 137
  • whinchat 055.jpg
    whinchat 055.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 94
  • whinchat 122.jpg
    whinchat 122.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 147
Derek
You've had a great day today. Perhaps we need a change of habitat to find the summer birds like you have done.

How do you like the video camera? I'm quite tempted. Any tips?

Hello Norma,all the shots on Birdforumn today were taken with the Nikon Coolpix.My camcorder has only just arrived but the adaptor for my scope hasn't.So i was just trying it out today, hand held to the scope but the results are fantastic and i am sure they will be even better with the adaptor.
There are such a range of models and prices on the market it would be hard to advise you one way or the other but i will let you know what the results are like when i am up and running.
All the best
Derek
ps. no Cuckoos today,are they late or just very rare now.

Your answer Derek!

Sat
Decided to head North to the Barmouth, taking in the Glens on the way up. South of Capanagh gave a lovely male Hen Harrier sighting followed by a brief show of a female. My Dipper wasn’t about so I moved on up the road to try for Merlin. North of Capanagh, on a post a suitably sized bird, grey in colour was located, but I wasn’t happy with its more horizontal posture or its beak shape. Being close to the limit for my scope I got out the field guide and was looking for possibilities when a car drew up. The driver with bins viewed my possible Merlin and thought it was a reasonable shout. However, on hearing my concerns he had a longer look through my scope and suddenly announced Cuckoo – his first for 4-5 years, and my first for good. I have to emphasise here that the bird was not calling!
Moved on feeling smug to Slieveanora where a Merlin (male) and Raven did put in an appearance. This was followed by another lovely Hen Harrier male at Altarichard.
My day was made by 1 o’clock before I even got to the Barmouth. Once there, the hide was closed but I got the usual Shelduck, Oystercatcher, Dunlin, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Common Tern and normal gulls.
Checking through the bushes, a tuneful little bird dogged me persistently but I had trouble seeing him. Eventually he was located. It was a Sedge Warbler, another first for me, although the pic amongst the undergrowth was not reproducable. A Reed Bunting finished off the visit and I had 2 Buzzards and plenty of Swallows and House Martins on the way home.
Sun
A couple of hours at Belfast Harbour RSPB gave me a nice Iceland Gull and lo and behold, another Sedge Warbler in the reeds. Just like the busses! Other species included Black & Bar tailed Godwits, Curlew, Ringed Plover, Dunlin, a pair of Lapwing and quite a few C Terns taking up residence on the islands.
A very enjoyable weekend

Nice pics Derek.
PS sorry not got back to you PC problems. All I could offer is the Dipper in the thread
Any good for what you want, or maybe too late?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back