• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

$200 birding binoculars (1 Viewer)

JAD said:
Hello
I have $200 US to spend on some birding binoculars. To be used mostly in the woods. Suggestions?
Thanks

Busnell Natureview roof prisms - available in 8x42 and 10x42. I use the 10x42, they are light and 'comfy' to use. I'm well pleased for the money - they are definately worth a look..

In this price range you should at least look thru the Porro prism models such as Minolta Activa, Nikon Action EX (both well under $200); slightly over $200 Swift Ultralite Porro, Swift Audubon Porro (best bins, IMO), Audubon Raptors and others.
Porros will have sharper, brighter image and wider field of view than almost any $200 roof prisms. You will notice the difference right away when you bring them to your eyes and compare. The drawback is they are heavier and bulkier than roof prism designs.
Be sure to consider how much eye relief you need. Do you wear glasses while birding? Too little eye relief can make a great binocular impossible to use for someone with deep set eyes or who wears glasses.
I recommend you try as many bins as possible at stores and from friends and fellow birders. In this price range, there is great variation in quality. Some should be sold with free headache medication, others are superior to most $500 roof prisms. If you decide on a model, ask to see 3 pairs and select the ones that have the sharpest image. There is variation in quality even in bins from the same factory.
Marc

Last edited:
JAD said:
Hello
I have $200 US to spend on some birding binoculars. To be used mostly in the woods. Suggestions?
Thanks

If you can dig a little deeper, you might try these Bushnell Legends, which sell at Mirakel for:

8x32: $249.50
8x42: $259.50
10x42: $269.50

They are really hard to beat for the money. Either of the 8x models should serve you well. Shop around on eBay for a better deal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BUSHNELL-LEGEND...ryZ31711QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck,
Ed

Last edited:
Nikon Action EX is OK, some 100-150 and claims to be waterproof. Try the 8x version. A bit heavy, but quite good in woods, gives broader view than the typical 8x42 Roof prism models. The Nikon Sporters/Buckmasters sell for as low as 140 or so as well, but the 8x is slightly narrow view compared to Actions.

$200 binocs

JAD said:
Hello
Thanks
Howdy for the 200 bucks you mention i would recommend Celestron Noble 8x42. they have all the bells and whistles are compareable to the larger name brands But they include a lifetime warranty. I have nikons and swaros and Zeiss but for 200 bucks these are pretty hard to beat. I also like the depth of field. searching through large trees I hardly have to adjust the focus.
Look for them on amazon or bizrate for best price. I think I paid about $197 a couple of years back.

Throw another vote in for the Nikon Action EX in either 7x35 or 8x40. They both should fit your criteria nicely. The Nikon Sporter I/Buckmaster in 8x36 would also be good as would some of the Bushnell Legend porro models.

Another vote for Nikon Action EX 8x40. I have one and I'm happy user. I wrote not-so-short review on them here:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=55753

You might be also interested in Minolta Activa WP.FP 8x40 as they have very similar optics quality and same price.

Best solution is to go to shop (after having list of interesting binos) and try touching and looking through them. For example in case of Nikon you might not like it as it quite bulky and you may choose Minolta.

JAD said:
Hello
Thanks

Nikon Monarch's 8x42mm. Get them on E-bay or Astromart for $200.00. I GUARANTEE you will not beat them for the money! They are as good as the LX's take my word for it.

Dennis

Nikon Monarch's 8x42mm. Get them on E-bay or Astromart for $200.00. I GUARANTEE you will not beat them for the money! They are as good as the LX's take my word for it.

You must really have a cherry pair Dennis. I would not rate the Monarchs as good as the LXs overall but there was a pair of 10x Monarchs I had a couple years back that would have given the LXs a run for the money. It is a shame that quality control can be poor at times at this price point.

I have to concur with FrankD here.

The Nikon Monarchs are very popular in my circle of hunting friends and every one who has them (whether they be the 8x or 10x models) is very happy with their respective choice. However, despite having examined every one of these friends' Monarchs, I have yet to see a single one that could be considered "as good" as the Premier LXL model.

FrankD said:
You must really have a cherry pair Dennis. I would not rate the Monarchs as good as the LXs overall but there was a pair of 10x Monarchs I had a couple years back that would have given the LXs a run for the money. It is a shame that quality control can be poor at times at this price point.

There was review in The Outdoorsman magazine that said the Monarch's were as good as the LX's optically. Although your correct in saying that binoculars vary from sample to sample. I always go through a bunch of one to select the best example of the lot.

Dennis

Buy 5 pairs of Monarchs, put in your closet. Then when you lose 1 you have 4 left. When you lose the LX you have none.

Buy 5 pairs of Monarchs, put in your closet. Then when you lose 1 you have 4 left. When you lose the LX you have none.

Buy one LXL, don't lose it. Problem solved.

You guys are killin' me! ;) I can just see someone taking the advice above and actually buying five pairs to use. Then after a few years they are still on the first pair and feel rather idiotic for having bought four more.... :eek:)

Tero said:

What would you rather have: Condi Rice forever of Jessica Simpson for an hour or two?

I am too poor to spend my money on mediocre things.

What would you rather have: Condi Rice forever of Jessica Simpson for an hour or two?

Lets see...what kind of witty comment can I come back with about an hour or two with Jessica Simpson and not somehow get booted off the site because of it? ;)

I wouldn't be comparin' the Monarchs to Condi though.... :)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back