• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Recommendation $2k budget (1 Viewer)

GF99-99

United States
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and was wondering if I could pick everyone’s brains on binocular recommendations.

I kind of have my heart set on 10x42’s but I am open to suggestions. I spend a lot of time hiking so anything larger than 10x42 becomes quite cumbersome to lug around.

I am willing to spend up to $2,000 but I prefer to buy used. Any suggestions for the best place to find a good deal on used Binoculars?

Cheers.

If your main purpose for the bins is birding and you will be in multiple types of habitat, then personally I would want a 10x42 over an 8x42. The reason is I'm able to ID more birds with the 10x that are just a little too far away for the 8x. An 8x42 and 10x42 of the same make and model should weight approximately the same.

With your budget, the optical quality will be outstanding. So, what is going to be more important is personal preference of ergonomics, size, weight, and if you wear glasses then also eye relief.

Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss is where I'd be looking with a budget of 2k.

For buying used bins, check the classifieds here on Birdforum. Obviously Ebay is an option too. BH Photo has used bins sometimes too. That should get you started.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the great responses. Yes as mentioned above I pretty much have my heart set on 10x42’s

I have been looking extensively at the Swarovski 10x42 EL’s

Hi All,

Thanks for all the great responses. Yes as mentioned above I pretty much have my heart set on 10x42’s

I have been looking extensively at the Swarovski 10x42 EL’s
Good choice, it appears you don't need to feel the intensity without the weight.

It's our pleasure to discuss what would be best for you and available opportunities. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000

You're in USA, Euro-optic in PA is selling a like-new used Zeiss SF 10x42 at a good discount - look under the "used/demo" menu - I've barely been able to resist buying them myself to be honest! That would be my choice of 10x42 but I've sworn off buying new binos for now :)

Of course there are many good choices in 10x42, and the challenge will be finding a few to try since they really are rather different: SF (quite large), EL, SLC, EDG, even SFL 10x40. (What matters most to you?) MeoStar HD could also be a good option, at the right price (recently inflated). These are all excellent; I happen to have SLC myself. If you require the flat-field concept, that's EL or SF.

10x32 may be worth considering also, and is my usual choice for hiking. I've used and can recommend UV/BN and FL; EL is also highly praised.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and was wondering if I could pick everyone’s brains on binocular recommendations.

I kind of have my heart set on 10x42’s but I am open to suggestions. I spend a lot of time hiking so anything larger than 10x42 becomes quite cumbersome to lug around.

I am willing to spend up to $2,000 but I prefer to buy used. Any suggestions for the best place to find a good deal on used Binoculars?

Cheers.
To my eyes with a 10x binocular there price to optical quality ratio changes most at a price point of around $1,000 and then flattens out. I have Swarovski and Vortex and Nikon and Pentax binoculars at this time and there is not a discernible difference between the Swarovski, Nikon Monarch 7, and Vortex Razor binoculars.

I have been with groups of birders and individuals trying out different binoculars at bird festivals and never heard anyone exclaim how wonderful and how much more clarity or contrast from a particular binocular. On my own part, last year I bought 3 different 12x50 binoculars from Vortex that sold for $560, $1,099, and $1,800 before any discounts. The $1,099 ones were noticeably better than the $560 ones, but the $1,800 binoculars were not better but rather different in terms of the imaging provided. The two pricier binoculars both had phase-corrected roof prisms and both had ED glass. The $1,099 provided a much wider viewing angle than the much more expensive model, 285 feet versus 236 feet at 1000 yards distance, and this was the model that I kept.

If your main purpose for the bins is birding and you will be in multiple types of habitat, then personally I would want a 10x42 over an 8x42. The reason is I'm able to ID more birds with the 10x that are just a little too far away for the 8x.
To each his own, but I can't agree and think the gains are marginal and outweighed by the disadvantages.
Theoretically a 10x binocular will show you at 100 m what an 8x binocular will show at 80 m, but it's not that simple.
Hand shake determines the sensible upper limit for magnification and at 10x will be apparently 25% higher and diminish your gains.
If you have ever mounted a 10x binocular on a tripod the difference to hand-held is striking.
In addition the field of view will suffer and depth of field of the 10x will only be 64% of the 8x, so in the woods a 10x is at a disadvantage forcing you to search for the bird in all three dimensions, and of course, the exit pupil will be smaller with possible influence on ease of view and brightness at dusk or dawn.
Eye relief is often lower and suboptimal for glasses wearers on versions with higher magnification, but ELs, NLs and SFs are exceptions.
I have owned a 10x42 EL SV, btw, since 2012. Optically it's excellent but apart from an occasionall look at the night sky (on a tripod) it doesn't get much use.
Nearly all naval and military binoculars are 7x or 8x. Has anyone ever heard of a governmet contract for a 10x hand-held binocular?
If you want more reach, there's no alternative to a scope.
Excuse the rant. :)

John

To each his own, but I can't agree and think the gains are marginal and outweighed by the disadvantages.
Theoretically a 10x binocular will show you at 100 m what an 8x binocular will show at 80 m, but it's not that simple.
Hand shake determines the sensible upper limit for magnification and at 10x will be apparently 25% higher and diminish your gains.
If you have ever mounted a 10x binocular on a tripod the difference to hand-held is striking.
In addition the field of view will suffer and depth of field of the 10x will only be 64% of the 8x, so in the woods a 10x is at a disadvantage forcing you to search for the bird in all three dimensions, and of course, the exit pupil will be smaller with possible influence on ease of view and brightness at dusk or dawn.
Eye relief is often lower and suboptimal for glasses wearers on versions with higher magnification, but ELs, NLs and SFs are exceptions.
I have owned a 10x42 EL SV, btw, since 2012. Optically it's excellent but apart from an occasionall look at the night sky (on a tripod) it doesn't get much use.
Nearly all naval and military binoculars are 7x or 8x. Has anyone ever heard of a governmet contract for a 10x hand-held binocular?
If you want more reach, there's no alternative to a scope.
Excuse the rant. :)

John

lol no worries on the rant. For me personally I have tested 8x vs 10x many times. I can ID warblers very quickly and confidently at much farther distance with a 10x than I can with an 8x without question.

I prefer 10x for open countryside, but 8x if I'm in denser/closer range conditions (EL x32's), but the difference isn't that huge in terms of magnification or stability in my experience. I also use 7x50's and 15x56's (SLCs) and with those there is a big difference in both... All binoculars are a compromise somewhere.

For quite a few years, I proclaimed that I was using a 10X42 and “never wished for a smaller image”.

Then I switched to Zeiss 8X32 SF (mostly for decreased weight) but I much prefer the “view” with the smaller glass.

If you have $2,000 to spend it all, and I would encourage you to buy used, from a reputable source. Optics are not a place to save money, and even though it seems to irk some folks, if it costs more it is probably better.

Good luck, and keep us up to date.

I also use 7x50's and 15x56's (SLCs) and with those there is a big difference in both.
Hi Richard,
I have their siblings, the 7x42 and 8x56 SLCs. Some years ago I got my dealer to order a 15x56 for appraisal and thankfully it failed on the issue of eye relief.
Basically I was looking for a suitable application for a desired binocular instead of a suitable binocular for an application. ;)
The only justification for the 8x56 was the view, which IMO is (a distant) second only to the WX.

To continue the rant, I have little understanding for the discussions on weight. I am 78, have a chronic illness and a few skeletal problems but don't find the 1200 g of the 8x56 SLC uncomfortable. It's not always my first choice but has no significant influence on the length of time I can stay on my feet. ;)

John

In addition the field of view will suffer and depth of field of the 10x will only be 64% of the 8x, so in the woods a 10x is at a disadvantage forcing you to search for the bird in all three dimensions

Thanks John, that's a nice, accessible description of the advantage of using 6 to 8x for birding in the woods.

Mike

How you intend to use them may have a significant impact on your decision. As has been noted in some of the posts above, the format that works best in habitats like woodland may be different to more open country, and if you plan to use them on long hikes etc weight and bulk may be a consideration. Give some thought to their intended purpose before you rush out and spend the $2,000 (which should get you an exceptional product).

How you intend to use them may have a significant impact on your decision. As has been noted in some of the posts above, the format that works best in habitats like woodland may be different to more open country, and if you plan to use them on long hikes etc weight and bulk may be a consideration. Give some thought to their intended purpose before you rush out and spend the $2,000 (which should get you an exceptional product).
But for hand-held use and shirt pockets excluded, I think an 8x42 would accomplish any task 90% as well as the optimum binocular for that application.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back