• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Recommendation $2k budget (3 Viewers)

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and was wondering if I could pick everyone’s brains on binocular recommendations.

I kind of have my heart set on 10x42’s but I am open to suggestions. I spend a lot of time hiking so anything larger than 10x42 becomes quite cumbersome to lug around.

I am willing to spend up to $2,000 but I prefer to buy used. Any suggestions for the best place to find a good deal on used Binoculars?

Cheers.

For Swarovski give Gorden a call at honey Creek Bill and beak 717-247-7944.
Possible open box or used call,
Try B&H photo 212–4 44–6615
Adaroma 212-741-0401.

All great companies I’ve dealt with for years.

Stay far away from the Long island retailer.

Last edited:
If I had $2000 and only $2000, what would I buy?

1. Amazon has a UVHD+ 7X42 NIB for $1734.95. That's the one I'd get and never look back and never sell it. Nothing new or flashy. Just proven mechanics and optics. AND it's a Leica.
2. Zeiss SFL 8X40. A little new and a little flashy. An excellent binocular. I think it's Zeiss's best effort in several years.
3. One of the Swarovski EL WBs for $1999.00. You can probably get it without sales tax at a couple of places...

That's it!

1. Amazon has a UVHD+ 7X42 NIB for $1734.95. That's the one I'd get and never look back and never sell it. Nothing new or flashy. Just proven mechanics and optics. AND it's a Leica.
2. Zeiss SFL 8X40. A little new and a little flashy. An excellent binocular. I think it's Zeiss's best effort in several years.
3. One of the Swarovski EL WBs for $1999.00. You can probably get it without sales tax at a couple of places...

That's it!
How would you know? Have you ever tried more than one or two bins?
😂

I got it right the first time! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That's it!
I joked about Chuck's collection (to OP, if you are not aware, Chill6x6 is one of those poor souls who owns or has owned nearly every bino you might be curious about ;-) but joking aside, I find it fascinating that a 7X is at top of list. Granted there's a $2000 clg. But there are lots of nice 8x and 10x in that same class. I tend to concur and find my 7x Retro's to be just plain fun to use. No fiddly, no shakey, no hassle, and a bright wide view.

I'll also second the SFL's. For some reason they sometimes get relegated to 2nd tier (I suspect the fact that they are MIJ turns people off), but honestly, they are superb and tick all the boxes.

I joked about Chuck's collection (to OP, if you are not aware, Chill6x6 is one of those poor souls who owns or has owned nearly every bino you might be curious about ;-) but joking aside, I find it fascinating that a 7X is at top of list. Granted there's a $2000 clg. But there are lots of nice 8x and 10x in that same class. I tend to concur and find my 7x Retro's to be just plain fun to use. No fiddly, no shakey, no hassle, and a bright wide view.
You just described why I like 7X so much. And ditto on Chuck.
I'll also second the SFL's. For some reason they sometimes get relegated to 2nd tier (I suspect the fact that they are MIJ turns people off), but honestly, they are superb and tick all the boxes.
Why would you expect MIJ might turn some people off? Were you referring to people wanting their Zeiss to be made in Germany? Zeiss sells more MIC Terra's, no problem there.

Thing is...I've had a UVHD+ for 10 years(8X42) and the 7X42 for 9 years. I've got 12 Leica binoculars of most models(had 13 until recently). I've never sent one back to have anything done to any of them, ever. Really I never hear of an issue with an Ultravid ever other than a less than perfect focus that one can certainly live with(no different than an SLC or EL). I've never heard of armoring pealing off. Never a hinge tension issue. Never cheap eyecups. That ol Ultravid...pretty much tried and true.

Hi All,

Just an update, I ended up going with 10x42 EL’s

Found what I think to be a fairly good deal $1899 out the door, no sales tax and free shipping. When I called they said I got the last pair (lucky me). Yeah I'm sure I could have searched around for a used pair but I do not often see 10x42 SL’s come up so just ended up going the new route.

I know there are pros and cons to 8x and 10x but personally I have always liked 10x. I use to hunt a lot and have no issues hiking around with 10x42 so the weight and size I am very use to and I have not issues with it. Also I have spent a lot of hours behind 8x and 10x so I am very away of the difference and just like 10x better. But I do appreciate everyone’s input and feedback.

1709125414100.jpeg

Hi All,

Just an update, I ended up going with 10x42 EL’s

Found what I think to be a fairly good deal $1899 out the door, no sales tax and free shipping. When I called they said I got the last pair (lucky me). Yeah I'm sure I could have searched around for a used pair but I do not often see 10x42 SL’s come up so just ended up going the new route.

I know there are pros and cons to 8x and 10x but personally I have always liked 10x. I use to hunt a lot and have no issues hiking around with 10x42 so the weight and size I am very use to and I have not issues with it. Also I have spent a lot of hours behind 8x and 10x so I am very away of the difference and just like 10x better. But I do appreciate everyone’s input and feedback.

View attachment 1561801
Excellent choice. Btw you redacted the credit card info, we couldn’t quite read those numbers 🤪🤣🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back