• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree Sparrow nest boxes: hole size? (1 Viewer)

DunnoKev

A bit pedantic, but as we know size matters...

Several sites state optimum hole size for Tree Sparrow nest boxes is 32mm, others quote 28mm. (BWP doesn't help, saying species will use holes between 22-60mm, but c. 30mm preferred!)

Question is, has anyone had any experience of 28mm? At a local site we have been trying to encourage the birds with 32mm boxes, but of course these let Great Tits in. Would like to try 28mm, but interested to hear how others have got on.

And whilst asking, does anyone know of any sites where Tree Sparrows are using Terraces?

Thanks in advance.

Hiya
I too have Tree Sparrows in my garden - around 20 on a good day, and have been trying to encourage them to nest in boxes in my garden, but after five year's trying I am no nearer. I do not class this as a failure though, as their flock is gradually getting larger every year; I can see this in the numbers that are attracted to my garden, spending almost the whole day here. I do know though that they go roost somewhere nearby, and I think tend to nest communally in the same area too.
Personally, I would go for a 30mm hole, but don't be too dissapointed if other species use it; after all, they all need somewhere safe to breed, and thus, you will still be doing your bit.

Regards,

edrick owl said:
Hiya
I too have Tree Sparrows in my garden - around 20 on a good day, and have been trying to encourage them to nest in boxes in my garden, but after five year's trying I am no nearer.

Keep waiting ...also for 5 years, the flock in my garden has been building year on year and now stands at about 100-120 on a good day. For the first time, they bred in one of the garden boxes last year - hole size is 28 mm and the box is one of a pair sited next to each other on a wall.

In my other garden, they breed in a storks' nest and in the next days I will be putting up some boxes to see if I can get more breeding here too.

32mm woodcrete variety works for me. They return year after year. They use a lot of nesting material filling the box to the roof. This year there are a pair of Great Tits moving-in to the box next door (32mm).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back