• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Sub £100 8x40/42 Binoculars (1 Viewer)

FesterUK

Bad Birdwatcher
Hi

I'm looking to replace my old 10x50 Binoculars with something a little lighter I have a budget of £100. I do not mind if they are roof or poro prism. any help and suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

At that price I would forget Roofs and my personal recommendation would be the Olympus 8x40 DPS I which I have personal experience of.

It is available from £50-80 has a wide field of view, good close focus for a porro and is not too heavy. I felt the view was very "peaceful", for a porro. The only slight drawback is it has rubber eyecups, and in direct comparison with the other 8x40's I have experience of (RSPB 8x40ASW), colours were a bit subdued.

Hope that helps a bit.

Nev

Hi

I'm looking to replace my old 10x50 Binoculars with something a little lighter I have a budget of £100. I do not mind if they are roof or poro prism. any help and suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Check out the Nikon Sporters - 8x36 currently on sale at warehouse express for £60. They are very good value for money although I don't know how these compare to the other models mentioned.

Perry

Check out the Nikon Sporters - 8x36 currently on sale at warehouse express for £60. They are very good value for money although I don't know how these compare to the other models mentioned.

Perry

I had a pair of Sporters. Pretty good binoculars but a notch down from some of the others you are talking about.

Dennis

Though you said you were looking for lighter binoculars I would suggest the Bushnell Legend porro 8x42. Probably my favorite $100-ish US bin. Very wide field of view, good brightness and good sharpness. I do believe it is around 28 or 29 ounces so it isn't the lightest bin but it is lighter than many 10x50s on the market.

If not the Legend porro then maybe the Leupold Yosemite 6 or 8x30?

My better half recently bought a pair of "Optical Hardware Prophecy" 10x42s from this crowd on ebay for £119
Lotnabox

I don’t know what the quality control is like and whether her set is representative or not, but they do seem remarkable value for money. OK they are not quite up to my Bausch & Lomb Elites, they normally go for about £500 second hand, but stand up well to many mid range ones I've looked through.

The importers list them at £299.99
optical hardware.co.uk
The street price seems to be about £240 to £250

Konica Minolta Activa 8x40 ?

Wide FOV (140m/1000m), good sharpness & contrast at ~~ 70-75% field,
big ER (18mm), good ergonomic (for me - Actva 7x35 is better than Cascades 10x42).
And ~145-150$ +sending tax for new Activa 8x40 at Ebay.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back