• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian (Common) Green-winged Teal? Northern Seward Peninsula (1 Viewer)

shishmarefbirder

Just got my computer back from repairs and was going through some photos to see if I had anything I didn't know I might have had before. I am fairly certain that these are a pair of Eurasian Green-winged Teal aka Common Teal. I am noting the horizontal stripe and lack of the vertical white bar on the drake. Please confirm. As a learning birder, is this a species that would count separate from the American Green-winged Teal that I have so many of? These photos were taken on the Northern Seward Peninsula May, 19th.

Attachments

• EurasianGreenWingedTeal.jpg
    EurasianGreenWingedTeal.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 247
They certainly look like Common Teal (Anas crecca) :t:

Green-winged Teal (Anas carolinensis) IS a distinct species in the Uk so I would imagine it would be the same where you are.

I'm sure there'll be somebody along in a second to put us both right :t:

My Sibley's guide lists both as Anas crecca so this is where I am confused. And our official "Checklist of Alaska Birds" does not show them as separate species.

My Sibley's guide lists both as Anas crecca so this is where I am confused. And our official "Checklist of Alaska Birds" does not show them as separate species.

They've only recently been split as two species over here, so in most books and checklists they would both appear as subspecies

Jan

Is it possible to separate Green-winged female from Common Teal?

One of the chapters in Martin Garners 'Frontiers in Birding' is devoted to the separation of Eurasian, Green Winged and Baikal Teal, though from a predominantly European point of view.
The face pattern of Green-winged is more distinct, and usually has a pale loral spot. In flight, the upper covert bar is narrow, parallel and orange/buff-European is white, and wider distally, creating a white wedge in front of the speculum.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back